Favorite Morning Smoothies?

My fiance and I just decided that we should start making smoothies for breakfast instead of relying on cereal, to help cut back on our carbohydrates. We have a magicbullet (about to upgrade to a nutribullet!) and have a smoothie recipe/combination we like. It's about 1 cup fresh baby spinach, 1/4 C carrot shreds, about 1/3 C vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2-3/4 C of frozen fruit pieces, and a few ounces of Orange+Pineapple juice, depending on how thick we want the smoothie. What kind of smoothies/juices do you make in the morning? We could always enjoy having new recipes or combinations!

Replies

• leslie345
    leslie345 Posts: 10
    My favorite is 1 cup unsweetend almond milk, huge bunch of spinach or kale, 1 banana, 1 tbsp almond butter, and a small handful of frozen berries to make it a little slushy :) Sometimes I'll put some plain greek yogurt in there. I quit using the vanilla kind because of all the sugar - the banana and berries sweeten it up a good deal. Even my 16mo old drinks it! :)
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    I make one with all natural protein powder, banana, eggs and peanut butter.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    I love my Nutribullet! It gets used daily in my kitchen.

My favourite is a nourishing and refreshing green smoothie. Handful of Kale or spinach, 1 Red Grapefruit, 1 green apple, Squeeze of lemon and some fresh ginger. I then add either water or some coconut water. Add some ice and thats it! Sometimes if I add too much kale, I add a bit of squeezey honey to take the edge off :)
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    my go to breakfast:
    1 cup unweetened almond milk
    1 Tbspn chia seeds
    1 Tbspn hemp hearts
    1 cup spinach or kale
    1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
    1/2 scoop veggie protein powder
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    bump
  • 1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop whey chocolate, 1tbsp peanut butter. <3
    1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop whey chocolate,6 strawberries.
    1c unsweetened vanilla almond milk,1 scoop whey chocolate, 1c frozen cherry berry blend.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    I made a green smoothie this morning - 2 cups power greens (kale, spinach, chard), 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup pineapple, 1/2 green apple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 whole lime, 1/2 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup ice, and a little agave nectar. It made enough for 2 people, but I drank the whole pitcher! It was super refreshing!
  • jessica182517
    jessica182517 Posts: 390 Member
    I just made a new one the other day that i am in LOVE with its SO good! I have a magic bullet so i just throw stuff in there when im in a hurry but this one i just put a frozen banana a big handful of baby spinich (i have some in the freezer just for my smoothies) about 1/4c of old fashon oats a little cinnamin and about 1/2c milk i just pour some in lol and fill the rest with water and blend! :)
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    bump
  • sarabreck
    sarabreck Posts: 16 Member
    My base is 1 cup flax milk, 1 banana and hemp or pea protein powder (I go for 20-25g of protein/serving- I like Nutiva brand).

If I worked out that morning, I will add peanut butter or yogurt with fresh berries.

I always have a cup of tea with breakfast too, the warmth makes me feel more satisfied.
  • subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    My fiance and I just decided that we should start making smoothies for breakfast instead of relying on cereal, to help cut back on our carbohydrates. We have a magicbullet (about to upgrade to a nutribullet!) and have a smoothie recipe/combination we like. It's about 1 cup fresh baby spinach, 1/4 C carrot shreds, about 1/3 C vanilla greek yogurt, 1/2-3/4 C of frozen fruit pieces, and a few ounces of Orange+Pineapple juice, depending on how thick we want the smoothie. What kind of smoothies/juices do you make in the morning? We could always enjoy having new recipes or combinations!
    Those ingredients add up to about 25-35 grams of carbs, maybe more with the yogurt FYI. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but a serving of most cereals with half a cup of milk is roughly the same amount of carbs. Veggies and fruits are essentially all carbs as well so your reasoning may need to be a bit more specific ie. "cutting back on carbs" by replacing carbs with different carbs is not logical. There are other health benefits to eating fruits and veggies but don't think you are cutting back :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Just for reference, most smoothie recipes I've come across really aren't really cutting back on carbs in the least...most have fruit which is going to give you a good wallop of carbohydrates. I have a smoothie a couple times weekly for breakfast...this one also serves as my post long ride recovery smoothie...

- 1 ounce almonds
    - 40 - 50 grams of strawberries
    - 40 - 50 grams of blueberries
    - 1 banana (~120 grams)
    - 1 cup plain Fage Greek Yogurt (high protein)
    - 1/2 cup 1% milk

Calories: 482
    Carbs: 57
    Protein: 34
    Fat: 15
    Fiber: 8
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Low carb shake Ideas....

2 eggs blended raw.
    16g Peanut butter
    1/2 cup of fage greek ygurt
    1 scoop of isopure chocolate protein.

Calories=Under 400.
    50g protein
    8g carbs
    18 fat

Think outside the cup! Protein Pudding:
    1/2 cup of coconut milk (the kind you have to use a can opener to get at I use Aroy-D)
    1cup of fage greek yogurt
    1/2 scoop of choc isopure
    (stir ingredients in a bowl till pudding like consistency)

Calories=333
    35g protein
    10g carbs
    17g fat
  • I love my sweets so these 2 are my favorite

Chocolate protien powder
    unsweetened almond milk ( can use anything else I just dont drink dairy )
    1/2 cup -1 cup frozen raspberries
    1 tsp flax
    (Tastes like godiva choco raspberry truffle)

Vanilla protien powder
    unsweetend almond milk (again use whatever)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 frozen banana
    1tbsp peanut butter
  • toomuchsweetness
    toomuchsweetness Posts: 168 Member
    bump