Weigh-in Schedule??

Options
Hey. I am new to this and I was wanting to see when the best times to weigh were and how many times a week I should weigh. I have been weighing everyday and I get discouraged because one day its down a little and the next its up. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CarolHudson11
    Options
    I'm new, too, but most of my friends weigh in weekly. I can't do it every day - I'll have my first weigh-in tonight, just because I want to see what I've done in the last 4 days, but I'm sure I'll be doing it weekly as well. I don't think I'll have the courage to look at the fluctuations if I do it daily. Don't get discouraged - you should definitely do it first thing in the morning (right after you pee! lol) but I'd only do it weekly. :)
  • christinehay78
    christinehay78 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh myself everyday in the morning. My weight fluctuates too but it's usually only water retention and is gone the following day if I drink a good amount of water.
    Don't get discouraged.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    hi erika welcome, i usually just pick 1 day of the week & stick with it. if u do it everyday u will be discouraged as u can see. good luck
  • sweetcheeks27
    sweetcheeks27 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    weighing in every day drove me crazy because I was obsessing..I weigh in Friday and Monday mornings..try to be the same or less on Monday as I was on Friday to help keep accountability during the weekend.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Most doctors/nutritionists say once a week. That is what I do, but I know others do it daily to keep them accountable. I'd get over obsessed with the scale if I did that, so knowing my weaknesses, I just do it once a week. I don't think it matters which day you do it, as long as it's the same day, same time every week. I'd use that for the most accurate count! Good luck to you!
  • ziggythecat
    ziggythecat Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm checking my weight daily. It's helped keep my mind on task. I can see where it would drive others insane.
  • lbewley3
    lbewley3 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Weigh every morning if you want to, but only record it on MFP weekly. I record Wednesday morning's weight - can't remember why I chose Weds. It's more satisfying to me to see the weekly drop over time than the daily ups and downs.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Weigh every morning if you want to, but only record it on MFP weekly. I record Wednesday morning's weight - can't remember why I chose Weds. It's more satisfying to me to see the weekly drop over time than the daily ups and downs.

This, but I do Sundays (I started on a Sunday so there you go!). The daily weigh in helps keep me in check.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a month... that way I'm not discouraged by daily up and down water weight gains. Since I go to a gym, I also get measured (which shows progress, even if the scale doesn't reflect it) and I have my body fat percentage to muscle mass percentages measured (which really motivates me to keep up that weight training).

My next weigh in will be January 5th/6th (I'm in the process of scheduling it).

Shannon
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I know I get too obessed with the scale if I weigh everyday so what I find that works best for me is I weigh in once a week. I chose Friday mornings because It is right before the weekend starts so if I happen to eat a little too much on a weekend night i can still recover before my next weigh in!
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    I weigh monthly IF I remember to do it then. The scale is "crazy making" for me. Once I start weighing regularly I'd be doing it several times a day so I just stay away. I realize that when I get close to goal (which is still a ways to go) I'll need to check more often but I'll do that at the gym or the Dr.'s office. As long as my clothes are getting loser, I'm a-ok with not weighing regularly.
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I weight in and record every Monday morning. My weeks are pretty consistent so it seems to work well. I'll sometimes check myself toward the end of the week just to see if I'm making progress, but I pretty much disregard the number and don't obsess over it. It's my Monday weigh-in that counts.
  • erikacrosby
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have noticed that I am obsessing over the number on the scale. I even hid the scale under my bed so that I wouldn't be tempted to use it every time I went to the bathroom. Crazy I know. I think I will just pick a day of the week and record that.