Facebook made High School Reunions even less appealing?

Options
scot30316
scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
So my 20 year is coming up this year and within the past few days the facebook messaging about it being planned have started. I graduated with 99 people in my class and was senior class president.

Seeing the 60 people included in the facebook messaging reminded me how few people I have any interest in ever reconnecting with. The ones I do still have any interest in knowing what they are up, are already friends of mine on facebook.

So I am contemplating skipping the reunion where if there wasn't facebook I likely would have just gone, gotten drunk and been quickly reminded why I haven't seen the majority of these people in 20 years.

Replies

• RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way and skipped my 20 year this year, however after people posted pictures I had wished I had attended.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I've not been to a reunion yet. My 20 year was last year. I feel the same as you. The people that I wanted to stay in contact with, I have.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to my 20th for the same reason...and I had my knee scoped the Wednesday before.

I was bummed that I didn't get to see a few people, but I've seen most of them since.
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Wait wait WAIT.... Stop the presses...

High School Reunions were ever appealing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    I attended my 30 year reunion a couple of years ago. It was a blast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I haven't gone to any, I have stayed in contact with 1 person from high school in all those years and graduated in a small class size of 85 people. If they didn't stay in contact all these years with me, I don't feel the need to reconnect to find out what happened to them.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I went to my ten year and am still debating on my 20th (it's in two years so not really thinking of it much). It was fun going back and just hanging out but yeah, I've reconnected with the people I've wanted to. I've even reconnected with some people I didn't think I'd want to. Of course, my class had 25 grads so we have that going for us.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    agree..skipped them all, people had 19years and 10 months to get find me if they wanted to... both prior to and during the social media boom..
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I had my 20th HS reunion a couple months ago, and I was really glad to have gone.

But yes, FB was directly cited as a factor as to why out of 150, only 70 showed up.
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I missed both my 5 and 10 year reunions. I figure that I already talk to the people that I still want to talk to.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I want to a small private school. My graduating class was a total of 9. I've only lost contact with 2 of them and that suits me perfectly fine. I have the rest on Facebook. I highly doubt we will ever have a reunion. (This year will be 17 years, so we have 3 more years to the 20th)
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    Fess up people. How many of you have gone to one hoping to have this type of moment?

10-years-tatum.jpg
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I had my 20th last year...I was actually excited to go, but I had a conflicting vacation scheduled that was ultimately more important to me. While I was looking forward to it, I wasn't heart broken or anything for not having made it. I keep in touch with a couple of guys from back in the day, but was kind of curious to see what some of the other guys have been up to the last couple of decades.

I can say this though...having looked at pictures from the reunion, I've aged very well relatively speaking....some of those guys looked to be 50 rather than 38 or 39.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Wait wait WAIT.... Stop the presses...

High School Reunions were ever appealing?

Not to me! With or without facebook, I know why I haven't kept in touch with 99% of my class.
  • sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,086 Member
    Options
    I planned my wedding on my 5 year I cared that much. My 10 year is this year and so far we are planning to go. More people from high school suddenly started adding me on facebook since the reunion information came out though.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    My husband went to his 30th a few years back and enjoyed it, I couldn't get off from work to join him. They are having his 35th this summer, but he has to work and can't go. He came from a small town and spent pretty much the first 30 years of his life there, so it's fun for him to see old friends.

I haven't been to one of mine, but if they have a 30th next year, I will probably go. Though the one I will go to is for the high school I didn't actually graduate from. I moved from up north to NC when I was in 11th grade. The high school I had gone to before had a total of 500 students for grades 9-12. Down here, my graduating class was 550 students, so it was a huge school to me and I had a few friends, but they all moved away. So I really don't have a real attachment to either school and the friends I have on FB from high school are really the only ones I care to keep up with.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Facebook has made locating and inviting everyone very easy, but for me, the appeal of going was to see what has happened to everyone and how they have changed, and with Facebook I already know that. Plus you get to avoid those awkward conversations with people that you haven't seen in a decade(s) and may not have too much in common with any more.
  • Hollywoodm55
    Hollywoodm55 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing this morning! My 10th is coming up next year and the facebook planning has already started. Not sure if I care to go or not.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My 20th was last year, and it was a freaking blast! I had SO MUCH fun!