I have gotten this far before.....need motivation!

Options
Hi all, Looking for motivation. I have lost 34 pounds since the first of the year BUT I can feel myself slipping. I have gotten here before and then let life and my food addictions take over again! I am determined to get past this point but am struggling a lot. One of my biggest issues is that my husband is not very supportive and to top it off he is underweight! When it comes to food we are polar opposites......Stress, I eat he doesn't! We run our own business and he works very long hours so if I don't cook he doesn't eat. Sometimes I cook for him and he still doesn't eat. Money is tight so eating out is not really an option for him. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• wishflower
    Options
    Don't let anything stand in your way! You have to remind yourself, if not now - then when? In our lives whether today or 10 weeks from now, we will always have stresses, weeks that aren't as great as others, busy schedules and so on. The best part about keeping on now is that you've already LOST 34 lbs, and that is fantastic!! Be patient with yourself. One day at a time.

As for your husband, I'm not sure what advice you're looking for in his eating/meals department. The lack of support you feel from him however, does sting. Do you understand why he's not supportive?
  • adelareto
    adelareto Posts: 20
    Options
    Thank you for your words of encouragement! Not entirely sure why he is not supportive, we have had a rough couple of years. Mostly I think he just doesn't understand, food is not the same for him as it is for me. He almost has to force himself to eat, I do not have that problem! LOL!
  • wishflower
    Options
    Thank you for your words of encouragement! Not entirely sure why he is not supportive, we have had a rough couple of years. Mostly I think he just doesn't understand, food is not the same for him as it is for me. He almost has to force himself to eat, I do not have that problem! LOL!

You're welcome. I can't wait till I can say I've lost 34 again too! :)

I've heard and seen it be a common thing with friends or family to seem unsupportive. Either they don't understand because like you said, they might have a different relationship with food... or they're afraid of change. Most people are creatures of habit in many ways. So in their mind, if your eating changes, your weight changes, they fear the you inside will change too. Then there's those who like to discourage or turn their nose up because it hurts to see something good or better happen to another person.

Sounds like at this stage of the game you acknowledge that you and your hubby have different eating styles. And that's ok! Maybe you can suggest finding a common ground like food shopping for meals together (even if they're separate meals,) or keep the focus off of food together and enjoy a healthy activity together like some evening walks or a bike ride.

And well.. if he doesn't care what you look like or what he looks like, or what either of you feel like health wise, or what either of you eat like.. then I dunno. Sounds like it's on him. Haha! Keep doing your thing girl! Look here on MFP for personal support. We're all doing this together.

Bottom line though is we all have inner personal goals. Always reach for them. He doesn't need to understand it, but definitely he needs to at least respect it.