Need heart rate monitor

Options
Good morning! I need help finding a heart rate monitor that is cheap, accurate and easy to use. I really need a better system of counting how many calories I burn. I can't seem to lose weight at all. It's depressing,

Replies

• grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Cheap is a relative term, but I wanted accuracy and calorie tracking so I went with the polar RS100. It tracks calories, your heart rate, and can keep a running total of all your workouts. The cost is $85 on Amazon.com. Here's a link for simplicity: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS100-Heart-Monitor-Stopwatch/dp/B000FW3Z6O
  • SueLaboo
    Options
    I live in Saskatchewan, Canada and I actually got mine for free. My doctor wrote me a "prescription" for one which allowed me to claim it through my health insurance at work. I don't know if that would work for you, but you could look into it. :) Good luck!
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    r u eating enough, i have read on here that under eating will cause one to hold weight. also u could be eating more than u think if u r not measuring. geez cant win for loosing sometimes it seems
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4, which was $100 through my gym. A lot of people on here love the Polar F6 and F7. Some say they found them at good prices online or on sale through different places.
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the polar brand heart rate monitors. I use the polar ft7 and have loved it!! (had it since february) I think I paid around $110 or so for it. The chest strap is pretty comfortable and I think it is more accurate than having a cheaper heart rate monitor without a chest strap. I know it is worth the investment! Good luck finding one that will work for you!
  • Caperfae
    Caperfae Posts: 433
    Options
    I have the mio drive petite.
    It's easy to use (i'm not bright with gadgets).
  • navs52
    navs52 Posts: 40
    Options
    The guy at ****sSportingGoods told me Polar is the best brand. I bought a FT7 but they sold me the womans version. I'm taking it back at lunch to try and get the RS100 or RS300. Also def dont' buy a Timex....its calorie count is way off.
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F6...I absolutely love it. I've had it for about 2.5 yrs and it's awesome. I'm a bit of an idiot when it comes to gadgets and whatnot, so I was afraid to use this...but it's terribly easy to set up, as accurate as I think it can get and a lifesaver!! I'm sure the F6 is an older version, but I love it- I'm sure you could get one used off Amazon. New price was roughly 90-100 2.5 yrs ago.
    Good luck!
    P.S. Don't be afraid of a chest strap. I really didnt want one of those, as I feared it would be too small, uncomfortable and annoying...Not the case at all. I've forgotten to take it off for a few hours so once its on, its narely noticable.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    If you get a polar and are a gym goer - be sure you get one that is "coded" meaning it won't pick up the machines or other heart rate monitors in the area. some of their lower and cheaper models are not coded and you might be pickup up someone elses reading. I have a Polar F6 and love it. I think it is technically an outdated model though and the FT7 is probably the closest version. You can look on Amazon and Ebay for cheaper ones, but remember, you have to have the battery replaced by sending it in (since it's waterproof) so if you get a used one, you might have to change the battery sooner than a new one. I have used mine daily almost for 2 yrs and it's at 2/3 battery life.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar F7 off ebay for £58.95. That's ebay.co.uk :bigsmile:
  • sonniepcb
    Options
    I just picked up my Polar Ft7 today! Cant wait to test it out. I think I am going to see how many calories I burn doing wii's Just Dance 2!! :) And I take a kick butt spin class regularly and look forward to checking out the calories burned doing that.
    Glad to see good reviews about the Ft7. It was a bit of an investment for me.