Doing this with injuries?

Options
My name is Christy and I'm a 44 year old sahm. I have 3 at home right now, a girl 17 and twin 11 year old boys. Was wondering if anyone else is trying to get fit after an injury? I had total foot reconstruction in November and then another bone graft and new hardware again in January. I have been non-weight bearing for over 4 months. (no driving, either!) So now I'm trying to get back to my usual busy self and am struggling because I still have to take things slow. Anyone like me out there?

Replies

• michele1367
    Options
    WOW! That's alot to deal with! I hope you heal quickly. I only have to deal with fibromyalgia. I recall seeing somewhere, exercises you could do while sitting. I just don't remember where, but I imagine between Google and youtube, you should be able to find something you can do that works for you.
  • white510
    white510 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too am trying after being down for almost 8 mths. I just had my 2nd knee replacement (same leg) back in Feb and was pretty stagnant for about 6 mths prior to that because I couldnt walk. I have always been extremely active and just sitting "allowed" me to gain back 10 of the lbs I had previously lost. I am up and around now, but my exercise is extremely limited. Most of my exercise will come from a recumbunt bike or swimming now. No more power walking for me. But would love to keep up with your progress and any tips you might could share.
  • OhioTallGuy
    Options
    Not to the same level that you have but I have a wrist injury and a problem knee that for now limit me to doing cardio only on an elliptical and then also doing an abb circuit. Just take it easy and do what you your body will allow. They way I look at it is doing something is better than nothing right?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    My name is Christy and I'm a 44 year old sahm. I have 3 at home right now, a girl 17 and twin 11 year old boys. Was wondering if anyone else is trying to get fit after an injury? I had total foot reconstruction in November and then another bone graft and new hardware again in January. I have been non-weight bearing for over 4 months. (no driving, either!) So now I'm trying to get back to my usual busy self and am struggling because I still have to take things slow. Anyone like me out there?
    What has your physical therapist prescribed you do to strengthen?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    I injured my back around the start of the year, nothing like your foot reconstruction, but it threw me off my program. After a period of total rest (and wallowing in misery over it!), I found other things I could do and eventually got to where I can lift weights again -- not as often, not as heavy, but I'm getting there. Best suggestion I have is keep taking it slow like you're doing, let it heal thoroughly, and follow your PT religiously to preserve your range of motion. A badly broken elbow from two years ago sometimes affects my lifts a little now, but without PT I wouldn't be able to lift at all.

Good luck!!
  • mom2six
    mom2six Posts: 13
    Options
    I haven't started PT yet. My doctor told me some stretches to do to help with the tendons (I also had those replaced and rerouted). He says for now just do my daily stuff and the stretches and to listen to my body. If it hurts, stop. I used to do a lot of walking and I suppose I'm just frustrated that just as the weather turns nice I'm still not able to get out much. I use a treadmill because it's flat and stable. Lots of hills at my house. I will look up other sitting exercises, good suggestion! After sitting for so long I'm ready to get my stamina back! Thanks for the support!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I had ankle surgery in February. I was primarily a runner and soccer player, and should be tri training now. I'm still hoping to do a tri in September, but the running is a big question. I struggled to walk at 3.0 on the treadmill yesterday :sad:
    I'm doing a lot of swimming right now. It's tough because I'm limited to the scheduled lap swim hours. I've transitioned from slow pedaling on the stationary bike to spin classes. I can't do the seated climbs, but I've been able to make it through 40 minutes of a 60 minute class and hoping to do a full class next week. I got outside on the bike for the first time this week and did 10 miles, but it was tough. I've been able to maintain my upper body lifting and starting to build the legs back in.
    Emotionally it's tough, and it's gotten worse as the nice weather has begun. I try to keep it all in perspective but there are days I worry I'll never get my fitness back.
  • mom2six
    mom2six Posts: 13
    Options
    ka97, I feel the same way. I used to walk 4mph for two hours almost every day. Now I'm struggling with just walking period! It is very frustrating! I know I will never be able to run (I have had issues for years, my original surgery to replace/repair tendons was four years ago, that didn't work. Thus the last two surgeries.) I just want to be able to walk right now! I feel like an old lady hobbling about. I'm just trying to do the best I can and figure any movement is better than none! Good luck to you!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Wow that's a tough thing to go through! Ask your doctor what exercises he/she can recommend for you. I'd hate to recommend something that injures you more.