Confused...

Options
I'm confused.

To lose .5 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories
To lose 1 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories
To lose 2 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories

Should I have to eat less to lose 2 lbs a week than .5 lbs a week??? And so many posts here on MFP say that 1200 is too low for anyone - that's why I went to change it from 2 lbs a week to .5 lbs a week, hoping to get a higher calorie allowance that everyone seems to say I need. But it still left me at 1200....

I'm 4'11", 118 lbs, and have a desk job - sedentary.

Replies

• jwooley13
    jwooley13 Posts: 243
    Options
    MFP won't recommend anything below 1200 per day. Since you're petite and close to your goal weight, adding exercise to the mix will be very important. 1200 per day works for me, but I allow myself to go over if I'm genuinely still hungry. Listen to your body, eat filling and high protein foods, and create a calorie deficit (try using a BMR and TDEE calculator) and the weight will come off. Just have patience!
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options
    Thanks, JWooley. That really helps!

FitBit calculated my BMR at 1,145 calories/day. I REALLY REALLY hate exercising... HATE IT! And I saw all those posts about how if you keep your calories at a deficit you can lose weight without exercising... Guess not for me...

My TDEE is calculated at about 1525. But to maintain weight MFP will up me to 1400. So I guess I have to stay between 1200 and 1400 a day. Really wish I could lose up to 2 lbs a week... This is barely going to be .5 lbs a week, if that... So to lose my last 13 lbs is going to take a full year, at least.... And others losing at 2 lbs a week will have 13 lbs lost in just 3 months... So frustrating.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I'm confused.

To lose .5 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories
    To lose 1 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories
    To lose 2 lbs a week MFP says I should have 1200 calories

Should I have to eat less to lose 2 lbs a week than .5 lbs a week??? And so many posts here on MFP say that 1200 is too low for anyone - that's why I went to change it from 2 lbs a week to .5 lbs a week, hoping to get a higher calorie allowance that everyone seems to say I need. But it still left me at 1200....

I'm 4'11", 118 lbs, and have a desk job - sedentary.

I am also under 5 feet tall and my BMR is 1310, which means that to lose weight with a sedentary lifestyle even at a daily deficit of just 100 calories ( which allows me to lose less than a quarter pound a week without exercise ) I also get 1200 calories. If I wanted to lose ...even just half a pound.....I would have to eat less than 1200 and I am not going to do that. We have to accept that even though we are not the " special snowflakes " some people make us out to be, that at the same time we do not fall within the general parameters of what is assumed about weight loss and calorie intake in relationship to size.
    We also have to accept that unless we just want to exercise hour upon hours to have more calories available, that with a smaller body we just cannot eat the same amount of calories than people with an average or large body can. It took me a long time to accept that I just can't have and also don't need the same calories as a woman who is 5' 4" or even more.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    MFP won't recommend anything below 1200 per day. Since you're petite and close to your goal weight, adding exercise to the mix will be very important. 1200 per day works for me, but I allow myself to go over if I'm genuinely still hungry. Listen to your body, eat filling and high protein foods, and create a calorie deficit (try using a BMR and TDEE calculator) and the weight will come off. Just have patience!

This. Sadly this. I cheated a little at one point and didn't eat all my exercise calories back to speed things up (except on days when I really felt I needed to). But in the end, patience is best. And exact measuring of your food, because you don't have much leeway between losing and maintaining.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not big on 'exercise' either. One thing I've liked about using a Fitbit is now I just focus on being active enough. What that means for me, is moving enough throughout the day to at least hit 10k-12k steps and get 30+ VAM. Of course the VAM are also cardio, aka exercise, but somehow thinking about it differently has helped me.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    MFP calculations system is off, very off. Don't use it.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    So I guess I have to stay between 1200 and 1400 a day. Really wish I could lose up to 2 lbs a week... This is barely going to be .5 lbs a week, if that... So to lose my last 13 lbs is going to take a full year, at least.... And others losing at 2 lbs a week will have 13 lbs lost in just 3 months... So frustrating.

From a different perspective: Maybe you should be thankful that you aren't obese, so you don't have the weight to be able to lose 2 lb per week. When I graduated from "obese" to "overweight" my calories went down too. And once I graduate from "overweigh" to "normal" weight, I'll be able to eat even less, and thus lose weight at a much slower rate. We will all get to the point you are at, but we're all starting at different points.

I wish I didn't let myself go to become obese, but I did, and weight comes off faster the more you have to lose. I can't wait until I am closer to the normal range and my weight comes off slower.
  • JenJBS
    Options

This. Sadly this. I cheated a little at one point and didn't eat all my exercise calories back to speed things up (except on days when I really felt I needed to). But in the end, patience is best. And exact measuring of your food, because you don't have much leeway between losing and maintaining.

Great advice. Thank you!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    don't forget those are net calories

move more = eat more
  • JenJBS
    Options
    I'm not big on 'exercise' either. One thing I've liked about using a Fitbit is now I just focus on being active enough. What that means for me, is moving enough throughout the day to at least hit 10k-12k steps and get 30+ VAM. Of course the VAM are also cardio, aka exercise, but somehow thinking about it differently has helped me.

Good point about thinking about things differently. I do love my FitBit!!! But when I put it at a calorie deficit it will lett me go below 1200, and I know that's not really healthy....
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    What I do - using MFP & Fitbit.

I set my lifestyle as lightly active for MFP, and turned on 'negative calorie adjustments' for the info MFP gets from Fitbit. I want to be at least lightly active - so if my adjustment is negative I need to move more. As the day progresses and I add activity (steps) the # gets better until I can end the day with exercise calories extra.
  • brosis85
    brosis85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    MFP Calorie calculator is way off ... but a lot of people do not understand that your regular workout habits are also part of your lifestyle when calculating. For example, I have a desk job so most people would assume I am sedentary, but I also walk 3-5 days a week and I workout hard 5-6 days a week, so I am actually considered active. If I used MFP and sedentary even though I am fifteen pounds from my goal, it would tell me to eat 1200 calories a day. I would starve ... and be miserable, and likely hold on to weight.
    There are tons of resources that can help you figure it out! Also, super important for weight loss ... MFP gets your macros all screwed up. There is no way you need 50% carbohydrates when you are trying to lose weight. So I would customize it yourself based on research :)

Feel free to add me if you need more suggestions!
  • JenJBS
    Options
    MFP Calorie calculator is way off ... but a lot of people do not understand that your regular workout habits are also part of your lifestyle when calculating. For example, I have a desk job so most people would assume I am sedentary, but I also walk 3-5 days a week and I workout hard 5-6 days a week, so I am actually considered active. If I used MFP and sedentary even though I am fifteen pounds from my goal, it would tell me to eat 1200 calories a day. I would starve ... and be miserable, and likely hold on to weight.
    There are tons of resources that can help you figure it out! Also, super important for weight loss ... MFP gets your macros all screwed up. There is no way you need 50% carbohydrates when you are trying to lose weight. So I would customize it yourself based on research :)

Feel free to add me if you need more suggestions!

Good to know!

The advice I got was to use the Sedentary, then count any exercise done, and eat back maybe half of the exercise points; but that if you set it as Active then it's already 'counting' those exercise points as part of your dailey allowance, so you don't count them when you do exercise - or you'd be counting them twice. I'll have to check into that more....
  • Emmyre43
    Emmyre43 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look on your homepage.. or food page. At the VERY bottom, u can edit calorie intake. The website put me at 1200, changed to 1400 per day. & Ive lost 1 lb already!! Be Blesseed.