finally committed

Options
Hi, I am new here. I used to be thin until my 40's hit & now I am a fat person. I have been getting fatter for several years now. I never wanted to be disciplined, count calories, or rely on anything other than some common sense. Well, I don't have much, cause I know I eat too much & pretend like I'm not THAT fat!. Well, I am. Time to get real at 47, and get back to being the thin person I once was.

Replies

• LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. You've made an excellent decision by joining. The website is user friendly and the friends you get along the way are so motivating. Hitting the 40's did me in also. I was always super thin. If you want, you can request me to be a friend by clicking on my user name. I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journey.
  • glike
    glike Posts: 17
    Options
    Wow, do I ever know where your coming from...I'm new here too and every sentence you wrote is exactly meeeee. Good luck and don't hesitate to ad me as a friend to help if I can.
  • vikespurple
    Options
    Let me know if you want to connect to support each other on the food comsumption and excercise. I am going to commit as well. I think the feature that allows you to share is nice and should be helpful. Good luck.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. This is a great site with a lot of support. You just have to be honest with what is going in your mouth. I've got a few tips that I would like to share since you're new here. These are pretty obvious but I thought I would pass them along. It's been my observation that it's 75% diet, 15% exercise and 10% sleep. You need to get 8 hours of sleep a night if possible. That way you're well rested an besides, you won't be tempted to eat while you sleep. Next, you need to do some form of exercise at least 5 times a week. It doesn't have to be much (i.e. walk briskly for 15 minutes). This will get you used to exercising. You'll find that your stamina and speed will pick up quickly. Next, drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I actually drink a lot of caffeine-free tea, but drink at least 4 glasses of water every day. Also, this site says you need to eat a net of 1200 calories (food + exercise calories). I'm not an expert, but many people on this site recommend only eating ~1/2 of your exercise calories. Don't weigh yourself more than once a week. Finally, be patient about weight loss. This is a life-style change. Hopefully, you'll be eating sensibly and exercising for the rest of your "long" life.:smile: