Macros - Protein per lb or kg?

Options
What I want to do is lose fat and have muscle definition. I am trying to figure out how much protein I need but there is such conflicting information I dont know which info to go with! Do I eat 1g protein per lb of body weight or 1g protein per kg of body weight?
thanks

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    neither...

1g of protien per pound of lean body mass or 0.6 - 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb is:

0.7g - 1g per 1lb of lean mass.

The more active you are (resistance and anaerobic wise) the nearer to the 1g you should eat.

If you have healthy kidneys, going over this amount will do you no harm (but depending on your source of protein can be a bit expensive)
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    neither...

1g of protien per pound of lean body mass or 0.6 - 0.8 grams per lb of body weight.

Does MFP usually have close to accurate numbers for the macros? I'm still struggling with protein most days getting to where I am eating enough, still trying to adjust some things here and there.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    If you're really training hard, and want the to get everything out of training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.

"The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14971434
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    What I want to do is lose fat and have muscle definition. I am trying to figure out how much protein I need but there is such conflicting information I dont know which info to go with! Do I eat 1g protein per lb of body weight or 1g protein per kg of body weight?
    thanks

1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. Treat that as an absolute minimum target. The scientific evidence is pretty clear on this.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    If you're really training hard, and want the to get everything out of training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.

"The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein."

Did you even read that abstract?
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different...if I want to cut weight, I also cut my protein intake. I typically try to stay around a g per lb. If I go over, oh well. If I'm under, oh well. I don't eat at a deficit either, just let whatever cardio activity take me into a deficit daily and not eat those calories back. I'm also on a larger frame @ 6 ft, 208. You're more than welcome to add me to see my diary and activity logs...anyone can
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

Did you? Here's the cliffs notes versions:

Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage.

if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

+1.

The abstract you pasted does not support your recommendation. As a matter of fact, it says that there isn't much convincing data to support 2-3g/kg.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage.

if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial.

It specifically says there isn't convincing evidence to support intakes as high as 2-3 g/kg daily. Your recommendation to get "close to 3g/kg" is unsupported by.. well, anything.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

+1.

The abstract you pasted does not support your recommendation. As a matter of fact, it says that there isn't much convincing data to support 2-3g/kg.

Yeah. It is worded a bit awkwardly, but "there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary" does sound to me like they are saying there isn't real data to support 3 g/kg (~1.5g/lb). Although, it could be read to say that there are a few convincing studies that show you DO need that much. I couldn't access the full text to actually decipher it further.

Also from that abstract: "Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes" suggests to me that if you are not in a calorie restriction, most athletes will get enough protein to maintain LBM. However, and other studies have shown this I think, that when you are dieting (i.e. you energy intake is not sufficient), your protein requirement actually goes UP if maintaining muscle mass is important to you. Your body will use your existing muscle as a source of fuel if it needs to. This is also why resistance training while dieting is a good idea, as it lets your body know you need that muscle.

So I'd say stick with the 0.8 to 1 g/lb LBM for most people. Note: the default MFP setting puts your protein down at the low end of the recommended range, so you might need to up the % of calories from protein until it falls in the right gram range you want to be.
  • susannamarie
    Options
    Yeah. It is worded a bit awkwardly, but "there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary" does sound to me like they are saying there isn't real data to support 3 g/kg (~1.5g/lb). Although, it could be read to say that there are a few convincing studies that show you DO need that much. I couldn't access the full text to actually decipher it further.

Also from that abstract: "Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes" suggests to me that if you are not in a calorie restriction, most athletes will get enough protein to maintain LBM. However, and other studies have shown this I think, that when you are dieting (i.e. you energy intake is not sufficient), your protein requirement actually goes UP if maintaining muscle mass is important to you. Your body will use your existing muscle as a source of fuel if it needs to. This is also why resistance training while dieting is a good idea, as it lets your body know you need that muscle.

So I'd say stick with the 0.8 to 1 g/lb LBM for most people. Note: the default MFP setting puts your protein down at the low end of the recommended range, so you might need to up the % of calories from protein until it falls in the right gram range you want to be.

Yes. Usually when you see a phrase like that in an abstract, it means "there are a few studies, but there are also other studies that contradicted them".
  • gimmesomehelp
    Options
    thank you everyone for your input. This has been helpful :-)
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

It specifically says there isn't convincing evidence to support intakes as high as 2-3 g/kg daily. Your recommendation to get "close to 3g/kg" is unsupported by.. well, anything.

"However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. "

I notice your recommendation falls into that range too.

Necessary is the key word there.

This falls in line with what I recommended. To get EVERYTHING out of your training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    To get EVERYTHING out of your training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.

This statement is unsupported by any evidence at all. Repeating it doesn't make it true.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

This statement is unsupported by any evidence at all. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Are you going to address the other quotes I posted or just keep ignoring them because they don't benefit your position?
  • jonnythan
    Options

Are you going to address the other quotes I posted or just keep ignoring them because they don't benefit your position?

Don't really care about them. It's your ultimate recommendation that I have the problem with. You present it as fact, but it is totally unsupported by any evidence.
  • susannamarie
    Options

But they're not saying what you're saying. They're saying that ingesting additional protein, beyond their habitual diet, may be beneficial, but there's no reason to push it as high as 2-3g/kg.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

Don't really care about them. It's your ultimate recommendation that I have the problem with. You present it as fact, but it is totally unsupported by any evidence.

Again, I supported my recommendation with the statements in the study that was linked. Also, personally I get that protein / day and have had awesome results.

What else do you base recommendations on?