pros only....no cons....lowering carbs

Options
DblChinz
DblChinz Posts: 31 Member
Hello. I have heard that lowering carbs helps with certain intense food cravings as well as more energy. I'm considering lowering my carb intake but not going low carb completely. Would someone be willing to share their success with this? Thanks!

Replies

• kari574
    kari574 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've gone "lower" carb the last week or so. I cut out grains, and the junk food and candy that I love, getting carbs from veggies and fruits. I have noticed less of a desire to snack between meals and no cravings.
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    When I low carb I can eat between 1200 to 1500 calories with no cravings or hunger pains. I'm male and eat less than 30 grams a day.
  • ZestyItalian2
    Options
    I've had success with it a few times with various approaches (though slamming right back into unhealthy carb-heavy eating will ensure that you regain at least all the weight you lost.)

Super low-carb eating (fewer than 50 net grams per day) will eventually put your body into ketosis (sounds like scientology, but it's legit), meaning that your body begins burning ketones instead of carbs for energy within about 48-72 hours. This will cause weight to basically fly off your body, but is obviously not sustainable for most people in the long term (and probably not healthy.) I did this in my early 20's and got shredded pretty quickly.

Medium low-carb eating (between 50-150 net grams per day) will usually result in reliably gradual weight loss and is definitely sustainable- lots of veggies, little bit of fruit, full fat dairy, nuts and protein should keep you full. The need to count calories while eating this way is a matter of some debate and personal preference. I'm doing this presently and have lost about 20 lbs in a few months.

Either of these approaches requires an increase in consumption of healthy fats (and omega 3 from fish oil helps too), or else you'll be starving and miserable every day. Low-cab and low-fat together is a bad mix. The body needs energy, and healthy fat is the best way to supply it in the absence of carbs.

And yes, you will find within a week- or even days- of cutting out refined carbohydrates that certain cravings simply disappear. Your energy levels fluctuate less throughout the day and you may feel more energetic overall. The simplest guidepost to follow is to cut out added sugar (everything except for fruit) and bread- all kinds. You'd be surprised at how even the smallest bit of wheat or sugar will set off a chain reaction of cravings.
  • DblChinz
    Options
    When I low carb I can eat between 1200 to 1500 calories with no cravings or hunger pains. I'm male and eat less than 30 grams a day.

so you say "when I low carb" so does that mean it's something you only do occasionally? that's what I'm looking for, something to help cut the cravings but I don't want to go too low b/c I'm assuming carbs are needed in our diet right?
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Getting more calories from proteins and fats will automatically help with cravings--you're just fuller and more satisfied for longer.
  • DblChinz
    Options
    I've had success with it a few times with various approaches (though slamming right back into unhealthy carb-heavy eating will ensure that you regain at least all the weight you lost.)

Super low-carb eating (fewer than 50 net grams per day) will eventually put your body into ketosis (sounds like scientology, but it's legit), meaning that your body begins burning ketones instead of carbs for energy within about 48-72 hours. This will cause weight to basically fly off your body, but is obviously not sustainable for most people in the long term (and probably not healthy.) I did this in my early 20's and got shredded pretty quickly.

Medium low-carb eating (between 50-150 net grams per day) will usually result in reliably gradual weight loss and is definitely sustainable- lots of veggies, little bit of fruit, full fat dairy, nuts and protein should keep you full. The need to count calories while eating this way is a matter of some debate and personal preference. I'm doing this presently and have lost about 20 lbs in a few months.

Either of these approaches requires an increase in consumption of healthy fats (and omega 3 from fish oil helps too), or else you'll be starving and miserable every day. Low-cab and low-fat together is a bad mix. The body needs energy, and healthy fat is the best way to supply it in the absence of carbs.

And yes, you will find within a week- or even days- of cutting out refined carbohydrates that certain cravings simply disappear. Your energy levels fluctuate less throughout the day and you may feel more energetic overall. The simplest guidepost to follow is to cut out added sugar (everything except for fruit) and bread- all kinds. You'd be surprised at how even the smallest bit of wheat or sugar will set off a chain reaction of cravings.

great info, thanks. i'm looking to consume about 100 carbs per day. I'm looking for something permanet with increasing protein and veggies. I guess I would have to watch out for fruit but I definitely don't want to just gain the weight right back
  • DblChinz
    Options
    Getting more calories from proteins and fats will automatically help with cravings--you're just fuller and more satisfied for longer.

I'll give this a try, thank you
  • Miamiuu
    Miamiuu Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm only low carbing for 30 day periods with breaks inbetween. Sometimes I feel real tired when I diet like this so I don't do it long term.
  • ZestyItalian2
    Options
    Yeah I'm shocked at how quickly I hit 100 carbs in a day, even in the total absence of bread, rice, grains, etc. One piece of fruit per day should work, and also realize that not all veggies are created equal. Carrots, parsnips, etc., and obviously potatoes, are starchy and carb-dense. Doesn't mean you can't eat them, just have to be conscious if you're limiting carbohydrates.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Good luck.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier if you don't put "rules" on yourself. Just think in terms of fitting more protein in, or challenge yourself to not have a starch with every meal by finding really awesome, satisfying things you want to eat. I don't follow a paleo lifestyle, but there are some great recipe sites that have really good-looking food; find stuff like that, and cutting back is easy. (Nomnompaleo is a good one). For me, my focus is high protein, lots of plants, enough meat to make me happy. I stay between 1200-1800 calories pretty easily this way.

There are things I will never go without: homemade bread, homemade cookies, etc. but there's room for them because I prioritize :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I try to eat "slower carb" rather than lower carb. It does WONDERS for cravings and blood sugar swings. I've heard the same about lower carb. Good luck with whatever you choose. YOU know YOUR body best.
  • DblChinz
    Options
    It's a lot easier if you don't put "rules" on yourself. Just think in terms of fitting more protein in, or challenge yourself to not have a starch with every meal by finding really awesome, satisfying things you want to eat. I don't follow a paleo lifestyle, but there are some great recipe sites that have really good-looking food; find stuff like that, and cutting back is easy. (Nomnompaleo is a good one). For me, my focus is high protein, lots of plants, enough meat to make me happy. I stay between 1200-1800 calories pretty easily this way.

There are things I will never go without: homemade bread, homemade cookies, etc. but there's room for them because I prioritize :)

I love this way of thinking. Thank you! thank you
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You want to cut processed starches and sugars. Carbs should come from whole sources like veggies and dairy sources. Fresh fruit is okay when consumed in moderation, especially if you are using this lifestyle as a way to control your glucose for insuling resistance (type 2 diabetes). The biggest factor to remember is to cut out processed starches and sugars. Nothing white, basically. Also, do NOT replace sweets with tons of "artificial sweetener" products. Limit these types of treats to no more than two packets per day... i.e I have a coffee with one packet and occasionally at night I might have a sugar free treat (pudding or jello). Nothing else throughout the day. No "Diet" soda, no sweet anything. Since you are only looking to reduce your carbs, I would monitor closely and rather than use any artificial sweeteners, I would just limit sweets to something sustainable for you.

Increased protein naturally keeps you full longer setting cravings at bay.
  • lucentabella
    lucentabella Posts: 114 Member
    Options

This. I'd only add, lean proteins help big time. Give yourself a few days to get used to not having as many carbs. At first, you might feel yucky. That will go away. I have insulin resistance, so I have to work within these confines each day. A general rule of thumb for regulating your blood sugar: no more than 30 grams of carbs in a 2 hour period & for every 2 grams of carbs your eat, eat 1 gram of lean protein.

Don't guilt yourself if you slip up. Just refocus and try again the next time you eat. We are human and new habits take time to settle in. Good luck!
  • DblChinz
    Options
    I try to eat "slower carb" rather than lower carb. It does WONDERS for cravings and blood sugar swings. I've heard the same about lower carb. Good luck with whatever you choose. YOU know YOUR body best.

Thank you!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    There are lots of ways you can do this and you should really experiment to see what works for you. Personally I drink the heck out of some diet coke even though I've largely restricted my carb intake, and in general I don't sweat artificial sweeteners (although powdered forms contain a bit of starch, but I never use enough for that to be an issue). I don't see any effect from it, other than I enjoy diet coke.

Additionally, the amount of carbs you take in won't affect the rate of fat loss so much as your caloric deficit will. While someone suggested that weight will just "fly off you" in a state of ketosis, that's only water weight that's shed as your muscle glycogen stores are depleted. Water weight is only relevant if you compete in a sport with weight classes, and when it comes to fat loss, that's dictated by your caloric deficit. In short, don't sweat the water weight. As for regaining the weight when you reintroduce carbs, that's again only water weight being added as you replenish your muscle glycogen. As a simple example, if you lose 50 pounds of fat and drop 10 pounds of water weight on a low carb diet, you should expect the 10 pounds of water weight (more or less) to return when you do a carb refeed. The 50 pounds of fat will not return unless you eat a caloric surplus sufficient to add 50 pounds of fat. In short, the rate of loss (at least the kind of loss that matters) doesn't really change.

My personal advice is to track all your macros/calories throughout the process, since you need to be tracking carbs regardless (preferably using a food scale). That way, if you transition to a different macro distribution down the road, your routine with respect to logging your food and watching your macros doesn't change whatsoever.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I average about 100-150g carbs a day. I've done this mainly by cutting out sodas/squashes and juices (British squash - erm, kool-aid, I think? Think non-alcoholic cordial you add water to) and mostly cutting white carbs - bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. I've added in plenty of proteins - meat, fish, dairy, pulses - and I don't fear the fat. I personally find that fats fill me up and keep me full, whereas carbs don't. This is not true for everyone, so if it doesn't for you, just re-up your carbs and/or protein. Get plenty of vegetables of all kinds, and a sensible amount of fruit - one or two pieces a day. Note, you may be low on fibre this way - beans are a great source, or have some wholemeal bread or seeds.

A typical day's menu would be:
    Bacon and eggs for breakfast
    Left over meat and veg stew with beans for lunch
    Piece of meat and salad for dinner
    Yogurt and fruit as a snack.

Cutting down the carbs has really helped me stick with my diet, but again, it's not for everyone.
  • DblChinz
    Options
    I average about 100-150g carbs a day. I've done this mainly by cutting out sodas/squashes and juices (British squash - erm, kool-aid, I think? Think non-alcoholic cordial you add water to) and mostly cutting white carbs - bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. I've added in plenty of proteins - meat, fish, dairy, pulses - and I don't fear the fat. I personally find that fats fill me up and keep me full, whereas carbs don't. This is not true for everyone, so if it doesn't for you, just re-up your carbs and/or protein. Get plenty of vegetables of all kinds, and a sensible amount of fruit - one or two pieces a day. Note, you may be low on fibre this way - beans are a great source, or have some wholemeal bread or seeds.

A typical day's menu would be:
    Bacon and eggs for breakfast
    Left over meat and veg stew with beans for lunch
    Piece of meat and salad for dinner
    Yogurt and fruit as a snack.

Cutting down the carbs has really helped me stick with my diet, but again, it's not for everyone.

thanks for the info and sample menu!!
  • DblChinz
    Options
    There are lots of ways you can do this and you should really experiment to see what works for you. Personally I drink the heck out of some diet coke even though I've largely restricted my carb intake, and in general I don't sweat artificial sweeteners (although powdered forms contain a bit of starch, but I never use enough for that to be an issue). I don't see any effect from it, other than I enjoy diet coke.

Additionally, the amount of carbs you take in won't affect the rate of fat loss so much as your caloric deficit will. While someone suggested that weight will just "fly off you" in a state of ketosis, that's only water weight that's shed as your muscle glycogen stores are depleted. Water weight is only relevant if you compete in a sport with weight classes, and when it comes to fat loss, that's dictated by your caloric deficit. In short, don't sweat the water weight. As for regaining the weight when you reintroduce carbs, that's again only water weight being added as you replenish your muscle glycogen. As a simple example, if you lose 50 pounds of fat and drop 10 pounds of water weight on a low carb diet, you should expect the 10 pounds of water weight (more or less) to return when you do a carb refeed. The 50 pounds of fat will not return unless you eat a caloric surplus sufficient to add 50 pounds of fat. In short, the rate of loss (at least the kind of loss that matters) doesn't really change.

My personal advice is to track all your macros/calories throughout the process, since you need to be tracking carbs regardless (preferably using a food scale). That way, if you transition to a different macro distribution down the road, your routine with respect to logging your food and watching your macros doesn't change whatsoever.

You are right, great advice... thank you