I want a flat stomach! why can't I?

Options
Hi everyone this will be my first post, and I am in need of some advice. I really want a flat stomach, not a six pack. I've been lifting for about 2 months eating a small deficit and I have not lost anything. My measurements have not changed. Even at my thinnest I have a belly pouch but never cared so therfore never tried any activities. I want to be fit and evn though I know I loom good, I want to feel good too! If I where a skiny tight dress I have the best figure, and then you look at my belly and it sticks out and is majorly jiggly. I have almost a 'u" shape on my stomach if that makes sense. Any advice please? I don't know ifnits even fixable or.possible anymore

Replies

• dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. There are a lot of factors, probably easier served in some one on one discussions.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating at a deficit? You will never lose fat from any place if you're still over-eating. What's your calorie goal, height, weight, etc.?

Also, have you lost inches anywhere else? It may be that your belly fat will be the last thing to go.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym. There are a lot of factors, probably easier served in some one on one discussions.

Abs are done in the gym with heavy compound moves and defined with some abs exercises - only thing a kitchen gets you is making them visible!

Op, takes time, be patient - be sure to track them macros and bust it in the gym - flat belly will follow!
  • dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    One can do thousands of crunches, planks, burpees, oblique exercises, bosu ball, etc. and still not be eating right to expose the abdominal wall. The muscles can be rock solid and still hold a pouch on top. There is NO such thing as an exercise that can target fat in any area.
  • natashabefit
    Options
    Are you sure you're eating at a deficit? You will never lose fat from any place if you're still over-eating. What's your calorie goal, height, weight, etc.?

Also, have you lost inches anywhere else? It may be that your belly fat will be the last thing to go.

I have not been measuring anywhere else, just my stomach since that is what really bothers me. I am 5'0 115 lbs and am 25 yrs old. I do gove over my calories a few days of the week. I'm happy with my current weight, but this stomach is driving me insane! I've had people tell me I'll never have a flat midsection without the help of surgery and so I am begining to believe that, even though I do not want nor can afford it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I have not been measuring anywhere else, just my stomach since that is what really bothers me. I am 5'0 115 lbs and am 25 yrs old. I do gove over my calories a few days of the week. I'm happy with my current weight, but this stomach is driving me insane! I've had people tell me I'll never have a flat midsection without the help of surgery and so I am begining to believe that, even though I do not want nor can afford it.

It's possible you won't have a flat stomach without surgery. I will never have thin thighs without surgery. Weight distribution is partly genetics.

Maybe change up your workouts. Maybe your current regimen is not effective. Just do the best you can.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

No, don't believe that! You should probably just give it some more time. I've been keeping track of measurements for a few months now. I don't lose in every place every time I re-measure. But as long as I am losing somewhere, I know that what I'm doing is working. Take measurements in other places. Arms, thighs, chest, hips, etc. If you're doing right, then there will be inch-loss somewhere. If after measuring other places there is still no loss, you may need to reassess your calorie goals.
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I have the same goal.as well and I too have been lifting eating well etc but I guess the third part to the solution is the most important and that's patience!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Best Way to Make Your Stomach Flatter Fast...pull it in as hard as possible at all times. A friend of mine had abs that everyone admired, male and female. He went to the gym regularly, so asked him how he got his abs so great. He said he never did anything at the gym for his abs, he just went to work all his other muscles. He said all he did for his abs was to pull in his stomach area as hard as possible at all times. Most people naturally tend to slouch a bit & let their stomachs stick out. So stand up as straight as you can, shoulders back & down, head up, exhale, then pull in your stomach as tight as possible, start breathing normally, but try to maintain your posture & pulling in the muscles. The first few days your muscles may be sore, including your back which also helps hold them in, but then you'll get used to it & it'll come more naturally. I wear a rubber band on my wrist to remind me to do it, know others who tie a little string to their wristwatch, or their steering wheel to remind them to maintain the position, whether around the house or in the car. No matter what your fitness level, doing this can bring good results fast. But as other posters have said diet & exercise are most important...this is just a quick thing that helps a lot. Try it for a few days & post a comment on how it works for you. Just getting into this position alone can make you look like you've lost 10 lbs, if you normally slouch.
  • natashabefit
    Options

It's possible you won't have a flat stomach without surgery. I will never have thin thighs without surgery. Weight distribution is partly genetics.

Maybe change up your workouts. Maybe your current regimen is not effective. Just do the best you can.
    [/quote

Knowing it may not even be possible makes me want to give up. I would hate to work hard as I am now and not have the result I would like.