Macros - Protein per lb or kg?

Options
2»

Replies

• MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    To get EVERYTHING out of your training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.

This statement is unsupported by any evidence at all. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Are you going to address the other quotes I posted or just keep ignoring them because they don't benefit your position?

But they're not saying what you're saying. They're saying that ingesting additional protein, beyond their habitual diet, may be beneficial, but there's no reason to push it as high as 2-3g/kg.

"Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage."

"if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. "

What are they saying from these two statements then?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Again, I supported my recommendation with the statements in the study that was linked. Also, personally I get that protein / day and have had awesome results.

What else do you base recommendations on?

The abstract you posted in no way supports your recommendation. It explicitly states that there is no support for your recommendation.

http://www.jissn.com/content/3/1/7
    Utilizing regression analysis and adding a safety buffer of 2 SD units, the protein needs to acquire zero nitrogen balance was calculated to be 1.6–1.7 g·kg-1·day-1
    In fact, a number of reviews from respected authorities have surfaced on dietary protein requirements which have ranged form 1.2–2.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24092765
    Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM [1 - 1.4 g/lb of FFM where FFM = fat free mass] scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-53.pdf
    Lemon et al. [61] displayed that novice bodybuilders
    required a protein intake of 1.6-1.7 g/kg/day to
    remain in a non-negative nitrogen balance. The increased
    protein requirements in novice subjects have
    been attributed to changes in muscle protein synthetic
    rate and the need to sustain greater lean mass rather
    than increased fuel utilization [62]. There is some evidence
    that protein requirements actually decrease
    slightly to approximately 1.4 g/kg/day in well-trained individuals
    because of a greater efficiency in dietary nitrogen
    utilization [63], although this hypothesis needs
    further study.

These are recommendations supported by actual evidence. 1-1.4 grams per lb of lean mass, or up to 2.2 grams per kg of bodyweight.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    To get EVERYTHING out of your training, get close to 3g / kg of BW.

This statement is unsupported by any evidence at all. Repeating it doesn't make it true.

Are you going to address the other quotes I posted or just keep ignoring them because they don't benefit your position?

But they're not saying what you're saying. They're saying that ingesting additional protein, beyond their habitual diet, may be beneficial, but there's no reason to push it as high as 2-3g/kg.

"Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage."

"if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. "

What are they saying from these two statements then?

Neither of those statements uses any numbers whatsoever, so they don't say anything at all about quantity of protein.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options
    Again, I supported my recommendation with the statements in the study that was linked. Also, personally I get that protein / day and have had awesome results.

The abstract you posted in no way supports your recommendation. It explicitly states that there is no support for your recommendation.

Utilizing regression analysis and adding a safety buffer of 2 SD units, the protein needs to acquire zero nitrogen balance was calculated to be 1.6–1.7 g·kg-1·day-1
    In fact, a number of reviews from respected authorities have surfaced on dietary protein requirements which have ranged form 1.2–2.2 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight

Protein needs for energy-restricted resistance-trained athletes are likely 2.3-3.1g/kg of FFM [1 - 1.4 g/lb of FFM where FFM = fat free mass] scaled upwards with severity of caloric restriction and leanness.

further study.

These are recommendations supported by actual evidence. 1-1.4 grams per lb of lean mass, or up to 2.2 grams per kg of bodyweight.

Dude, you found another study that even exceeds my recommendation. ---- 3.1 g / kg.

"These are recommendations supported by actual evidence (ed: because they're studies you presented?). 1-1.4 grams per lb of lean mass, or up to 2.2 grams per kg of bodyweight."

And 1.4 grams / lb is the same as 3 g / kg.

/Drops microphone, walks off stage
  • jonnythan
    Options

further study.

Dude, you found another study that even exceeds my recommendation. ---- 3.1 g / kg.

"These are recommendations supported by actual evidence (ed: because they're studies you presented?). 1-1.4 grams per lb of lean mass, or up to 2.2 grams per kg of bodyweight."

3.1 grams per kg of FFM. That's 1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean mass. Not body mass. Lean mass.

Lean mass is not body mass.

Maybe you should go pick that microphone back up.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

further study.

3.1 grams per kg of FFM. That's 1.4 grams of protein per lb of lean mass. Not body mass. Lean mass.

Lean mass is not body mass.

/hears his name being chanted

Lean mass is less than body mass....

/drops microphone, walks off stage
  • jonnythan
    Options

Math isn't your strong suit, is it. I

Let's take an example to make it more concrete.

At a protein intake of 3 grams per kg of bodyweight, which is your recommendation, a 190-lb 40% body fat woman would require 259 grams of protein.

The protein intake recommended by actual scientific evidence, which is 3 grams per kg of FFM at the high end, gives a recommended intake of 155 grams of protein.

So 3 grams per kg of bodyweight for this person would be 259 grams. 3 grams per kg of FFM would be 155 grams.
  • jonnythan
    Options

At a protein intake of 3 grams per kg of bodyweight, which is your recommendation, a 190-lb 40% body fat woman would require 259 grams of protein.

The protein intake recommended by actual scientific evidence, which is 3 grams per kg of FFM at the high end, gives a recommended intake of 155 grams of protein.

So 3 grams per kg of bodyweight for this person would be 259 grams. 3 grams per kg of FFM would be 155 grams.

Also, your recommendation for this person would work out to be 5 grams per kg of FFM, which is 67% more than the maximum level actually recommended by scientific study.

I understand that you're coming from a "more is better!" perspective, and that, as a very lean male, the difference between your FFM and total mass isn't that large.

But not everyone is you.

Adjust your recommendations to be in line with the scientific literature.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

Well *kitten*. High fat % does debunk that. I still stick with it for lean/trained individuals.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well *kitten*. High fat % does debunk that. I still stick with it for lean/trained individuals.

Or you could go to a more generalized recommendation that's supported by science, instead of a made-up one that gets close in some instances.
  • MagnumBurrito
    Options

Or you could go to a more generalized recommendation that's supported by science, instead of a made-up one that gets close in some instances.

Based on the studies presented though out this thread, a 200 lb man with 10% BF should intake 252 grams of protein, which is more than recommended by most. But yeah, in the future, I should suggest 3 g / kg of lean body mass.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

For lean/trained individuals who happen to be male FFM is probably quite close to actual body mass so it's not going to be super relevant.

For non-lean individuals, females who aren't SUPER lean, or non-trained individuals, your recommendation is unnecessarily high and is likely to be expensive and unnecessary (can you imagine a 200 kg guy trying to meet this recommendation)?

Why not just recommend the 3g/kg of FFM that *is* supported by science instead?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Nm