plateus? migraines? calories?

Options
So many questions and need advice...

#1 i am continually getting migraines and muscle cramps, docs have no clue whats going on, i believe it is diet related? suggestions?

#2 Im finding it hard to eat 1200 cals of healthy food, my stomach is full.....HELP!!

#3 with eating 1200 cals and back to run im not sheddding the weight like i always have during running season, no idea why though? i need to be down 20lbs in 2 month at least ...Need advice

Currently i am eating 1200-1300 cals and running a mile a day and walking a mile a day...im a bank teller so i spend most of the day seated or standing in place, i have 2 children and am a single parent so there are some days i cant run/walk at all cuz i have no sitter!

Previously before i started mfp, In 2007 i was 340lbs, currently 178lbs ish fluctuating, Last year at this time i was 158lbs

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated

Replies

• chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I've had migraines since I was 13. Just messaged one of my other friends with more info about it. 100% your migraines are diet related. I have one just thinking about how little calories you're eating! You have to find a way to eat more or they WILL continue!!!

What about peanut butter/nuts? They are high in cals. I would just consider eating higher calorie foods to meet your goal.

Edit: Just looked at your diary for today: for example, instead of eating that 0.5 tbsp of PB eat all 2 Tbsp!!!
    Edit for more food ideas: I highly stress nuts. My morning snack is a pack of planters nutrition energy mix honey nut. One bag is 260 calories. My afternoon snack is usually 1/2 cup of the almonds I buy which is 300 calories. Things like that could easily bump you up higher and make you feel A LOT better I promise!
  • Krystal7786
    Krystal7786 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i try not to eat high fat, so pb is one of those,,,i cld eat it but idk if that will help weight loss as well?
  • chelseafxx
    Options
    You can look at my diary if you want I eat really high fat and lost 0.8 this week and 0.4 last week. I LOVE fat!

Edit: Unless for a medical reason you cannot then that is a different story.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Not all fats are created equal. The fat in nuts, fish: good fats. And we need to eat some fat.

You need more calories, nutrition. The peanut butter is a good idea. Trail mix, with raisins and a little bit of chocolate chips & nuts is an easy snack. Bananas & other fruits. Yogurt w/ berries.

Congrats on your weight loss to date - though since you're so different now than when you started, you'll need to readjust your goals. What is your weight loss plan set for now? Might do you wonders to dial it down a notch. IF you have it set for 2 pounds, readjust to 1.5 or even 2. Aim for 1500 calories minimum each day - and occasionally go a little higher.
  • jrvjt
    jrvjt Posts: 1
    Options
    I was told by nutritionist when on another plan that my headache would improve if I ate more cooked veges, not just raw/fresh ones and lo and behold, it worked. Good luck.
  • chelseafxx
    Options
    I agree with this
    Congrats on your weight loss to date - though since you're so different now than when you started, you'll need to readjust your goals. What is your weight loss plan set for now? Might do you wonders to dial it down a notch. IF you have it set for 2 pounds, readjust to 1.5 or even 2. Aim for 1500 calories minimum each day - and occasionally go a little higher.

but not 100% this
    Not all fats are created equal. The fat in nuts, fish: good fats. And we need to eat some fat.
    Trans fat is the one fat you really want to avoid. There are plenty of saturated fats that are still good for you (see, coconut oil for example). But yes, the MUFA's in nuts and fish are good fats and the yummiest!
  • crissi725
    crissi725 Posts: 82
    Options
    You absolutely need more calories. And you should add in some healthy fats like nuts or some kind of nut butter. Even just 300 calories more should help your metabolism. You are keeping your net calories a little too low. Try it for a couple weeks and see if you lose about 2 lbs.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    My neurologist told me that taking melatonin has been shown to help with migraines. I linked the study in another thread a few months ago, but don't have time to find it. Peanuts were on the list of foods he originally gave me to avoid, because they can trigger migraines. I have no idea what I did with the list, though.

For the calories thing, maybe this will help. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    i think im going to try this!! more calorie thing...i just have to find a way im not hungry atm, i got o bed in 90 mins and still have cals left??
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It actually sounds like a thyroid or other hormone issue to me. Have you gotten your levels checked?
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    i actually havent... wasnt sure of the symptoms?
  • chelseasans
    chelseasans Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    http://www.medicinenet.com/hypothyroidism_symptoms/views.htm

just a shot in the dark because i know its a common problem that inhibits weight loss and may explain migraines? but im not a doctor!:tongue:

eating more calories may help too!
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    thanks chelsea im going to discuss this with my doc next week??
  • Krystal7786
    Options
    UPDATE::
    Went to doc and tests are in...now just waiting!!!
    cld take 3-4 weeks

still having migraines i have tried more calories but also went back to fast food for a few days and it hurt me and actually made me sick!!! but i cldnt help it i was craving!!
  • Momofboyss
    Momofboyss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Krystal, we have a lot in common. I weigh about the same as you, am also a Bank Teller, I have two kids and have terrible migraines and muscle cramps. Just recently I added a magnesium supplement to my diet. I take 200mg every day which is good for migraines as well as muscle cramps. The cramps have completely gone away, and the migraines are less often now , so that's a great thing! I also find that when I eliminate gluten and sugar it helps even more! I've had migraines since I was a teenager, have been on EVERY med for them and this is what has helped me the most. Pm me if you want to chat :)