New Balance Shoes

Options
I'm looking for general feedback from folks on New Balance running shoes. I've recently been given a 25% off coupon and in my research have come to learn (and appreciate) that they are made in USA (especially with roots in my area of Boston). I'm wondering if people have general comments about quality, design, and function about their product. Clearly I need to find my fit and if they will work for me or not which is why I'm looking at opinions at a more general level. Thanks.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you already know quite a bit about them. Definitely go to a New Balance store where they can help you find the right fit (as you know). I haven't actually done that myself, but have preferred NB sneakers for about 14 years now. I do not run, however...I wear them mainly for walking a LOT and light hiking...all terrain usually are the ones I go for. I especially loved them when I was around 300 lb as they were the only walking shoes that didn't hurt my feet when walking 3+ miles per night. But even now they are my favorites and hold up much longer in my experience than similarly priced shoes from Asics or Nike.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    When I can find new balance shoes I will get them. They are one of the few shoes that I can wear without having to go into a wide. They lasted me a long time when I was in college and that saved me money.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I like them as general wear sneakers. However, when I run, I prefer other brands. Nothing against NB, it's just not my preference for running :)
  • RoyalMoose11
    RoyalMoose11 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks- I've put in ~400 miles in my Brooks Adrenaline 13s at this point and I'm looking to replace them. Need something to get me through some more high mileage and my training for my 13.1 and upcoming 26.2.
  • andielyn
    andielyn Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I developed a bad case of plantar fasciitis a few years back and now wear NOTHING but New Balance. They make a line of dress/casual shoes as well (Aravon, Cobb Hill). I bought my first pairs from a New Balance store, where they told me the best type for my foot type. Now I buy them from JoesNewBalanceOutlet.com almost exclusively, where you can limit by lasts (the shoe structure), etc. I don't run, for what it's worth, but used to play racquetball and have NB court shoes, cross-trainers, and even hiking boots. Actually I have NB every kind of shoe. :)

Highly suggest finding a brick and mortar store first and not buying at a place like Kohl's that sell the lower end lines of NB. I always had foot/ankle issues until I switched from my standard brand of Nike to NB.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just went to a running store and had my feet and running pattern analyzed, and they brought me like 7 pairs of shoes to try according to the computer analysis. They even made me custom insole because my stance was uneven. I suggest doing that and asking for only NB shoes, then find a pair you like (take it for a test run in the store) and buy them with your 25% off.

I myself like where I bought my shoes, I have 3 months of beating them to death and I can exchange them if I don't like how they feel. you can't beat that.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    New Balance is one of the few running shoe companies that offer their shoes in different widths. i have wide feet, so I have tried more than a few pairs. Haven't liked any of them. Seems like, as a general rule, they have too much cushion in the sole, which makes them squishy -- it's like driving a big boaty car, where you cannot feel the road. And, probably because they are so squishy, they do not seem to last very long before all the life goes out of them.
  • newjojie
    newjojie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I love my New Balance running shoes. I won them at a 5k and I will probably never buy another brand. They fit perfect and I have no issue's with them. It is almost time to buy a new pair and I will buy another pair of New Balance. Maybe they should give me another free pair for being a spokeswoman for them...lol.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I run in New Balance trail running shoes (on trails, of course). They work fine for 5k's. I am not a distance runner so I don't know much about that. I also use NB's as my general all-around running around shoes. I've had like 20 pairs. I am NB loyal with the exception of my Converse fetish for powerlifting.
  • smiley13000
    smiley13000 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love new balance shoes! I have wide feet, so I find that these shoes aren't too tight but not loose. They fit my feet amazingly in general. They feel great when I'm running too. I actually just bought another pair of New Balance shoes about a month ago, and I'm loving them. The design for my most recent pair is pretty simple, but I like it. If you'd like to see a picture of them you can go to my pictures and there should be one :) Also, these shoes are really good quality! My last pair lasted me for a year PLUS I washed them a couple times. The only reason I bought my new pair was that they did have two little worn spots, but besides that I can still wear them around.
    I definitely recommend at least giving these shoes a try!
  • MC0301
    MC0301 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've been wearing nothing but New Balance sneakers since I was 12 years old (it helps that I get them at a deep discount or free from my mom who works there!). They are definitely very comfortable and I find that a lot of their newer running/walking models are really light, making it comfy to wear for long periods of time. Also, if you have wide feet or feet pain/problems - NB is definitely the way to go :)
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I know they're what I run in! I love them! I tried a couple of different brands before falling in love with my NBs.

I agree with above poster that says you should get fitted at a running store for shoes; you learn a lot about your feet and yourself!
  • hsturdivant
    hsturdivant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Love new balance 890v's. I did get the mint graphic ones in the 890v4 and am a little disappointed in the huge heel. I have high arches and had a bout of plantar fascists and these shoes almost instantly cured the pain. I have tried other running shoes but always return them. I like how well i can feel the ground. Its a neutral though. Go get analyzed and see what you need =D I run in the 40's weekly.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My first pair of running shoes were NB and I was really happy with them. I only switched brands because they discontinued my model, and the replacement didn't feel right
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The suggestion to try out a new balance store is a good one. New Balance and Brooks are my favorites.

I use stability shoes, so I use the New Balance 940, Brook's Addiction 10, and Brooks Beast. I have mostly used New Balance for the last 15 years though. I find the last better than many brands, so the price is worth it for me. Those Brooks last a long time too. I'm kinda big, many moons ago I used to use Nike and Asics. They would tear down pretty fast, especially the Nike. The NB lasted me about 3 times longer.
  • FitMe758
    FitMe758 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    New Balance shoes didn't work for me. I would recommend you go to a running store that can evaluate your running and then recommend shoes accordingly.
    I was never able to jog (I don't really run, I fast-shuffle, lol) in NB shoes, but once I got evaluations (twice now) I have been soooo happy with my Brooks Adrenalines.

And in the most shallow of ways, I think NB shoes are way cutter. But I guess it all comes to what is best for your gait and personal needs.
  • Mercedespony
    Mercedespony Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I work out/ run in the NB Minimus and absolutely love them.
    Not sure if you were thinking of going more minimal for your runs - these aren't for long distances, but for 4-5 miles, they are perfect.
    And I love lifting in them.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    They helped me straighten out my foot when running. I had a previous injury that took me two years to repair and walked/ran sideways on my foot, then started walking on my toes awkwardly thereon after. With NB, I can use my entire foot, not just my toes.
    Only problem, now I know where my foot is damaged and can REALLY feel it, but I no longer walk on my toes thanks to New Balance.

I love mine, just have to get my foot looked at, so that I can get back into my running.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Different shoes for different feet. There are some new balance that I like and I also have been liking Filas. What I find is that my feet don't like cheap shoes... neither do they like air jordans... It is all about what makes you comfortable and works best on YOUR feet.
  • MrsSp00ns
    MrsSp00ns Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm another fan of new balance shoes. I'm a severe over pronator and find their style for this really comfortable.