Goals for the coming year

Options
I am in the process of setting some goals for the year ahead. What are some of the goals your are setting?

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Funny, I am in the middle of writing up a blog post about that! So far, the healthy lifestyle ones I've come up with are:

1) Keep logging in calories/exercise in MFP... no matter what!

2) Continue weekly menu planning

3) Walk/run a 5K for the first time (I walked one a few months ago but haven't walk/run one).

4) Successfully make my own chicken stock (the sodium in boxed/canned chicken broth has been killing me this winter!) and find a good recipe for making sandwich bread.

5) Get to an "overweight" BMI (53.2 pounds away... which seems completely reasonable) or, if I get pregnant, continue healthy eating habits/exercise which will lead to a healthy weight gain (and hopefully easier time losing afterwards!)
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't set weight goals. I go by body fat percentage instead. I also set fitness accomplishments. The scale doesn't matter if you are healthy and can do what you want to do in life. So, my fitness goals are as follows:

I will bench press 200 pounds for 6 sets of 12 reps by December 31, 2011.

I will reach 15% body fat per my bio-electrical impedance scale &/or 12% body fat per calipers by December 31, 2011.

I will have a 28" waist by December 31, 2011.

I will get back to being able to squat 300 pounds for 6 sets of 12 reps by December 31, 2011. (This was actually a goal I accomplished a couple of years ago, but due to injuries I've lost strength, so the goal is more to get strength back.)

I will have a recovery heart rate of 100 beats per minute or less on the 3 Minute Step Test by December 31, 2011.

I will have a score of 30" or more on the Sit & Reach Test by December 31, 2011.

I actually have 6 other goals for the year, but they aren't quite as fitness related. They are more school and career related, even though some would say they are fitness related since I'm in school and work in the fitness industry. LOL The secret to goal setting, though, is planning how to accomplish them. So, I've also set steps to follow each month, with my daily steps for January already planned too, in order to reach the ultimate goal. When you settle on what your goals will be, you'll have to let us know. :happy:
  • Ashlea_M
    Ashlea_M Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Mine are:

1) Lose the weight by winter (June)
    2) Start running around the lake instead of walking
    3) Go to the gym more often
    4) Keep my grades high and stay in the honours program for fourth year
    5) Practice perspective drawing more

I guess I have a mix of weight loss and academic related goals, but I find that they fight each other for attention, and it's a difficult balance to achieve.
  • JoyBellz
    JoyBellz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to write mine in a journal I keep so I can refer back to them. I have lots of goals for many different things but my health/fitness goals are going to be the most important. My goals aren't very "advanced," for lack of a better term. I am back to baby steps.

1. Do some sort of exercise for at least 20 minutes DAILY.

2. Eat healthier meals.

3. PLAN ahead on the meals to prevent "backsliding." :o)

4. Get DOWN to the number of calories my doctor wants me at.....1200.

5. Log food and exercise.

6. Lose some weight......I am not setting a specific amount on this b/c I don't want to be disappointed. I have found I am easily discouraged which leads to lack of motivation, which leads to throwing in the towel, SO as long as I see a MINUS of some sort on that scale, I'm going to be satisfied.

7. Stick to taking my Metformin regularly no matter how bad it makes me feel.
  • kt2007
    kt2007 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am wanting to do a 1000 mile worth of runs for the year. Looking to get some half marathons and for 2011 I will do my first full marathon. losing another 15lbs and getting down around 184 or less.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I am getting ready to write mine in a journal I keep so I can refer back to them. I have lots of goals for many different things but my health/fitness goals are going to be the most important. My goals aren't very "advanced," for lack of a better term. I am back to baby steps.

Ooh, I need to put the metformin one on my goals too! I am SO bad at remembering to take meds!

I don't think it matters how "advanced" your goals are... mine seem pretty basic to me too but the important thing is that they are keeping us moving ahead in getting healthier!
  • JoyBellz
    Options
    I don't think it matters how "advanced" your goals are... mine seem pretty basic to me too but the important thing is that they are keeping us moving ahead in getting healthier!

EXACTLY! One day at a time. :wink:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I'm still formulating mine, but here's my 2011 "mission statement" (still being refined).

I resolve to make a daily effort at being healthier by eating less and moving more. I am going to increase my fruit and vegetable intake and ensure that I'm drinking enough water. My family depends on me to be healthy and strong and I need to fuel and work at my body daily in order to be what they need. I will not quit trying; the only way I fail is if I stop trying.

So my ways of getting there:
    - Stay under calories at least 5 nights a week
    - Exercise 30 minutes, 3x a week (minimum)
    - Eat 2 fruits & 3 veggies (minimum) daily - at least one of each with each meal
    - Drink at least 9 glasses of water daily
    - Lose 1-2 lbs weekly until I achieve a healthy pregnancy and then maintain a healthy pregnancy weight, under my doctor's guidance
    - Take all medications as prescribed as well as multivitamin daily
  • fitterpam
    Options

1. Do some sort of exercise for at least 20 minutes DAILY.

2. Eat healthier meals.

3. PLAN ahead on the meals to prevent "backsliding." :o)

4. Get DOWN to the number of calories my doctor wants me at.....1200.

5. Log food and exercise.

6. Lose some weight......I am not setting a specific amount on this b/c I don't want to be disappointed. I have found I am easily discouraged which leads to lack of motivation, which leads to throwing in the towel, SO as long as I see a MINUS of some sort on that scale, I'm going to be satisfied.

These are all you need for a healthier you - who cares how "advanced" they are.
  • fitterpam
    Options

Ooh, I need to put the metformin one on my goals too! I am SO bad at remembering to take meds!

I needed it too...LOL went back and edited mine...I'm SOOOO bad on that recently. When I was using it the way it was prescribed (3x a day), the weight was falling off.....I just took my first one of the day and it's 9pm.......I need to improve this drastically!!
  • aanner
    aanner Posts: 26
    Options
    to lose 10-15 pounds in time for bathing suit season!!! I havent worn a bikini since I was about 7 so I'm super excited about this!!
  • JoyBellz
    Options
    - Take all medications as prescribed as well as multivitamin daily
    Ooooh, forgot the vitamin on my list of goals. Adding that now. Thanks. :smile:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    My on-going goals are to

-work out every day (have only missed one day of exercise in the 125 plus days I have been on MFP)
    - continue to eat healthy

My new goals are to

- incorporate more strength training into my exercise routine
    - run a 10K
    - run in the AM before hubbers leaves for work (this should probably go in the next category)

My total pie in the sky goals (these are long term goals which I may or may not get to this year)
    - run the Peachtree Road Race, which is in Atlanta, GA, but I live in California
    - reach my over all weight loss goal of a 100lbs lost
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I will sit for and pass the A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer Exam by May 31, 2011.

I will be comfortably wearing size 8 pants by the September, 2011 (pants are so hard for me as I carry most of my weight in my hips and upper thighs--down from an 18 to a solid 12 already!).

I will strength train 2-3 days each week and will truly lift heavy enough to hit failure at 12 reps (none of this 'it's getting difficult' at 12 reps...I'm going for, "I can't lift this dumbbell one more time" failure).

I will complete the 2011 Georgia Warrior Dash in May, running the entire way (if possible since there will be 500 other people surrounding me).

The foods I eat will be 'clean' choices 90% of the time.

I haven't decided on this one yet, but I'm contemplating the Augusta, GA 1/2 marathon in October, 2011.
  • JoyBellz
    Options
    My on-going goals are to

-work out every day (have only missed one day of exercise in the 125 plus days I have been on MFP)
    Great job! Now THAT is dedication.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I will sit for and pass the A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer Exam by May 31, 2011.

I will be comfortably wearing size 8 pants by the September, 2011 (pants are so hard for me as I carry most of my weight in my hips and upper thighs--down from an 18 to a solid 12 already!).

I will strength train 2-3 days each week and will truly lift heavy enough to hit failure at 12 reps (none of this 'it's getting difficult' at 12 reps...I'm going for, "I can't lift this dumbbell one more time" failure).

I will complete the 2011 Georgia Warrior Dash in May, running the entire way (if possible since there will be 500 other people surrounding me).

I haven't decided on this one yet, but I'm contemplating the Augusta, GA 1/2 marathon in October, 2011.

I've been ACE certified for several years. Great program! If you ever want a quiz partner, let me know. I still have all my study materials (I bought the big kit like 5 or 6 years ago, so my version is the older manual, but still pretty much the same info.) so I can quiz you from the flash cards or study guides if you want. Or answer any questions you may have about taking the test.
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I've been ACE certified for several years. Great program! If you ever want a quiz partner, let me know. I still have all my study materials (I bought the big kit like 5 or 6 years ago, so my version is the older manual, but still pretty much the same info.) so I can quiz you from the flash cards or study guides if you want. Or answer any questions you may have about taking the test.

Thank you for the offer!! Truly, much appreciated and I very may well take you up on the offer! I took one of the online assessments prior to reading any of the materials or doing any studying (did this back in August) and scored a 68%, so my basic knowledge must not be too horrific!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Two 5K's at least.
    Get and master Turbo Fire.
    Reach my first weight loss goal of 200, then 180 lbs.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I Resolve to pay my bills on time..................Happy New Year........ Lloyd
  • CarolHudson11
    Options
    I Resolve to pay my bills on time..................Happy New Year........ Lloyd

That is a good one, as well! Me, too! :laugh: