I Just Want to Use My Kitchen-Aid Mixer!!

Options
pattyaeverett
pattyaeverett Posts: 8 Member
I love to bake and I just want to use my Kitchen-Aid Mixer I got this year for my birthday present, but I feel like everything I could make with it is high fat, high sugar, high terrible.

I appreciate any suggestions!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I love to bake and I just want to use my Kitchen-Aid Mixer I got this year for my birthday present, but I feel like everything I could make with it is high fat, high sugar, high terrible.

I appreciate any suggestions!

I use mine for pizza dough. Many restaurant crusts are high in fat. Make your own crust & use a pizza stone.

Angel food cake .....ok high in sugar. But no fat & high protein. Homemade angel food cake is amazing. Totally different texture than the box.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My homemade pizza is less calories and tastier than even the diet recipes going around these days. I also love making oatmeal breakfast cookies filled with oats and chopped apples and other fruits but has no sugars or oils/butter. Meringue cookies are basically egg whites and a bit of other flavoring so they are very calorie friendly too. You can google lots of great recipes so don't be afraid to user your mixer because you have complete control of the ingredients. I also believe that when I am splurging I want it to be excellent and well worth the calories. Therefore, on my birthday I made a Chocolate Chiffon Ecstasy Cake that had whipped cream and chocolate mousse between the chiffon cake layers then covered with chocolate ganache. It may have been extreme but having complete control over the ingredients and controlling the sugar, etc made it a better and more enjoyable choice than a traditional cake from the bakery. I am a cookbook reviewer, author, and tester so I have a multitude of recipes if you get stuck and need a specific recipe. Just message me and I will do my best to help. Here is my pizza recipe http://www.mymotherssecrets.com/pizza-recipes.html
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Angelfood! I make a dozen cupcakes instead of a whole cake, the batch is smaller, and they are pre-portioned. They were less than 100 calories each last time I made some. Also meringue cookies. Not totally low cal but lower than most things.
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    Baking that includes pumpkin or carrot are often lower in the "bad" stuff because recipes can include so much more vegetable content.

http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/recipe-makeovers/healthy-carrot-cake-recipe-makeover-00412000070625/
  • pattyaeverett
    pattyaeverett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Homemade Pizza sounds amazing. Thanks for the recipe and link! I am going to use it over the weekend for a veggie supreme pizza! Thanks :)

I love angel food cake also. These are great ideas!
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Kitchenaid mixer is really nice for easily shredding chicken.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hear you! The only action my mixer has seen since January is shredding chicken & mashed cauliflower lol. Such a waste (I got mine for Christmas & set out on my fitness journey for new years ;/ Their are a lot of good healthy alternative recipes on pinterist.... my friend made these black bean brownies that were all sorts of awesome.
  • katilynnegray
    katilynnegray Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I don't have the recipe saved on MFP but Jillian Michaels has a good, low cal breakfast muffin recipe. You might be able to Google it. I know it calls for whole wheat flour and I think there is honey in it
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm an advocate of baking the good stuff, and just limited myself to a portion. It's the long-term sustainable solution for me anyways. I'm certainly not giving up baking, or eating delicious baked goodies forever!! :smile:

If you want to make your baking healthier experiment with substitutions. Vegetable oil can usually be swapped for 50% oil, 50% applesauce, or plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I recently found out your can shred chicken with the paddle attachment. I love having it around, but it's such a pain to shred with a fork and the food processor makes it too mushy. So it might not be a baking recipe, but if you ever need some shredded chicken, throw some chicken in with the paddle attachment on and it takes about 30 seconds!