Facebook made High School Reunions even less appealing?

Options
2»

Replies

• FitWithWit44
    FitWithWit44 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My 20th was last year, and it was a freaking blast! I had SO MUCH fun!

:huh: :noway: I seriously thought you were in your late 20s
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan of high school. I recently missed my 10 year... and that trend will continue.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I went to my ex's 20th two years ago. It was awesome to see how all those people I used to think were gods turned out and also be the youngest one there.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My 20th was last year, and it was a freaking blast! I had SO MUCH fun!

:huh: :noway: I seriously thought you were in your late 20s

38, but I'll definitely take late 20s! :flowerforyou:
  • RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was the awkward unpopular nerd in HS so there is no desire for me to ever go to one. Anyone I want to keep in touch with I do. Especially now that FB, etc. is everywhere.
  • BehindtheMic
    BehindtheMic Posts: 1,736 Member
    Options
    My class didn't even have a 10 year reunion. It would have been last year.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My 10 year reunion is in two years. I don't really know if I want to go or not. I wasn't one of the popular kids, so the chances of me being invited are probably slim. The people that I've wanted to stay caught up with are my friends on facebook. And if I'm not able to reach my goal weight by then, I don't know if I want to go anyway lol.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I would love to have gone to my 10 year reunion. But I guess there was some extra requirement besides graduating with your class to receive an invitation. ????
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I graduated with close to 400 people in my class. I do keep in touch with my core group of friends on facebook, but we are all spread over the the map. Having everyone together again would be pretty awesome. Unfortunately, a little less than half of the class was invited to the 10 year. There were a a ton of really ticked off people because, like me, they wanted to see everyone together again. I have a ways to go before my 20th, but I plan on contacting the school in advance for details well before it takes place.
  • 120by30
    120by30 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I graduated with close to 400 people in my class. I do keep in touch with my core group of friends on facebook, but we are all spread over the the map. Having everyone together again would be pretty awesome. Unfortunately, a little less than half of the class was invited to the 10 year. There were a a ton of really ticked off people because, like me, they wanted to see everyone together again. I have a ways to go before my 20th, but I plan on contacting the school in advance for details well before it takes place.

Our graduating class had a grand total of 36 people and not all of us were told about it. I didn't have facebook at the time so my sister messaged the one in charge of it for me twice to ask about the place and time. The messages were seen but never responded to. It's okay. I can take a hint. Lol!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    367 in my graduating class. Went to my 10 year reunion (which was 4 years ago), as a favor to my best friend but I won't go to anymore.

I didn't like the majority of them then and it hasn't changed.
  • tmanfromtexas
    tmanfromtexas Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I didn't make my 10th or 20th. Most of the people I hung out with are dead unfortunately due to one reason or another. Plus I would rather ride my Harley down to the bar I like to visit and shoot the **** with those folks. A lot more interesting I would imagine.
  • scot30316
    scot30316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I did make it to my 10th. Drank a bit too much, got a ride home with a friend and wound up puking right when we pulled up to my parents house. Just like I was back in high school again.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I think I know exactly what you mean!! My 20 yr reunion is next summer. My graduating class was around 700+ but for our 10 yr reunion I'd say maybe 200 people showed, and for the 15 (which I did not attend) there were only 20 or 30 people present.

Of course 20 years is the "big one" and I'm sure the turnout will be pretty good, as they already have a lot of people on the facebook page a year in advance.

My whole point of going to the 10 yr was to see how everyone "turned out" and that was kind of a joke because most people who attended still looked/acted exactly the same a decade after high school, myself included. I had shorter hair and a college degree, but that's it. My best friends and I went without our boyfriends/husbands and got really drunk and talked to a few people we hadn't seen in years but mostly just sat at our own little table so it was like a normal girls' night out.

Now I have reconnected via FB with so many old friends, even a bunch of people from my ELEMENTARY school...so I feel like in a way, the reunion is pointless because I talk to those people all of the time, and don't care to see others. In another way I dread some slight awkwardness because there are people I "talk to" on FB like 3X a week and haven't seen face to face in 17+ years and in some cases have not talked to at length since the 80s. Not a big deal but kinda weird.

With my weight loss I definitely wanna go, though. Just being honest haha. I weighed around 230-240 when I graduated. Should be at goal of 170 by next summer (180s now).
  • TomTomato
    TomTomato Posts: 223
    Options
    Had our 30-year last summer. It was a blast! Even though we have a large number of alumni in a FB group, it was a great time. No electronic correspondence can replace face-to-face interaction. If anything, FB and other websites have only enhanced our reunions by making it easier to locate people, plan activities, and disseminate information. I'm not sure how it is for others, but most of the clicks that existed in high school, that divided groups of people, have dissolved. I've gotten to know people who I never imagined even talking to in high school.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i have not talked to anyone I went to high school with ever .. at all

just figured out my 10 year reunion is in a couple years...i will probably go

highschool was a terrible experience though :indifferent:
  • davidleewilson
    davidleewilson Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I missed my 10th, 20th and 30th. It is amazing how many people I went to school with are friends on Facebook, who could care less about me in high school.

I vote skip it.
  • vervains
    vervains Posts: 51
    Options
    Fess up people. How many of you have gone to one hoping to have this type of moment?

10-years-tatum.jpg

Nearly every person dreams about it, right? At a point I did but eh. Seems like high school reunions would make you either miserable or super happy depending on how well everyone you hated in high school has done. I have no desire for people's success to be rubbed in my face. Then again, being a khaleesi and all leaves me at the top of my graduating class. :laugh:
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Wait wait WAIT.... Stop the presses...

High School Reunions were ever appealing?

lol..

I went to my 10 and my 30. They were a lot more fun than high school ever was.