Confused

Options
I started out on here and it said my daily goal was 1,500 calories. I have lost 10 lbs since I started and I have been doing the weigh in. Now myfitnesspal has recalculated my calorie intake based on my new weight. I think that is great, however I am confussed because now it tells me instead of 1,500 calories a day my goal is now 2,200 calories a day. Why do I need to eat 700 more calories a day now that I lost 10 lbs??? That is just so confusing to me .... is it a system glitch??? I dont understand why it would want me to eat so much more .. can someone please help me understand this?

SW - 238
CW - 228
GW - 180

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    maybe it's b/c you've built more muscle so your bmr goes up to fuel the muscles. You need to eat more calories to sustain without starving your body. IDK just my guess. The higher the muscle mass the more fuel your body requires just to survive. Maybe based on your measurements it's determined that the drop in weight = to an increase in muscle size.

always the chance that you put a wrong number in somewhere and it's confused. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I would reset your goals manually to make sure things get recalculated properly.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    is it the excercise cals u burned? the site is based on the fact you eat them..but some dont and some only eat half and so on...*i dont*
  • fluffy21
    Options
    I do my goals manually, because I like to be in charge of it. But my guess is similar to the one above... they probably did it for muscle mass.
    You could try it their way for a little and see if you continue losing.. but if you start gaining I would switch back to your original plan.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I'd double check and make sure you put all of your information in correctly. Are your goals still set for the same amount of weight/week you wanted to lose before? My experience is that MFP has lowered my calories a bit each time I've recalculated (down about 80 calories/day over the last 25-30 pounds of weight loss).
  • FineJC2007
    FineJC2007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everybodys opinion! It was that they reset it but was set to lose half a pound a week and I was set on 2lbs a week. Ok now I know I need to make sure it adjusts properly. Thanks again for all the help!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    That happened to me once and when I checked my setting and it was set to maintain weight, not lose weight. For the life of me I do not know how that happened. I recalculated and it has never happened again. Hope this helps.