Anyone tried the Body Media Fit?

Options
I'm sooo struggling getting on the wagon that I not only fell off but got run over a while ago and can't seem to get into the logging in food. I am aiming to start up again and get into some kind of routine and found this Body Media Fit. Anyone tried it and found it useful? Any input or feedback would be appreciated :)

Replies

• lisambrown568
    lisambrown568 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started using the Body Media and I really like it, but it says I am to have 3795 calories a day. That sounds like too much! Just wondering how Body Media comes up with how that big of a number. I think I am understanding it correctly. So far today I have consumed 364 calories and it says I have 3431 remaining.
  • grrrlwonder
    grrrlwonder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I got one in early January and it helped a TON in the beginning to help me realize what my actual calorie expenditure was, as opposed to what I thought I was burning. It's also great for helping maintain a specific deficit goal. I absolutely love it and recommend it to everyone!

Lisa, if your numbers seem screwy it might have to do with what you set your goals at.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I bought one last March and wore it for a full year before it got flaky on me. Literally, overnight it decided I was burning insane amounts of calories just going up and down the stairs. I was going to call tech support, but the band snapped on me just a few days ago and I haven't replaced it. I'm not sure I will.

That said, I do recommend it. It worked very well and I lost weight steadily when I stuck to its guidelines. Most importantly, I now know how many calories I burn in a typical day so I can move forward on my own. MFP greatly underestimated my daily burn and I simply could not stick to the recommended calories. I can't eat 1500 when I burn 2300 and only have a few pounds left to lose. The BMF helped me find a realistic goal.
  • ThinkInOregon
    Options
    I love mine, I have the BodyMedia Flex band. I originally purchased the Core band, but really wanted the Bluetooth feature.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I've seen mixed reviews on BodyMedia, mostly regarding inaccuracies and the monthly subscription fees. There are other fitness trackers out there, either clip-ons or wrist models. The Garmin Vivofit is very informative, and you can get a heart rate monitor chest strap to pair with it to make it more accurate during workouts.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    body media sleep tracking makes it worth while.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    body media sleep tracking makes it worth while.

The vivofit also does sleep tracking, just not as detailed. Not sure I would pay a subscription fee every month just to track REM cycles.
  • lisambrown568
    Options
    Thanks grrrlwonder. I am going to check my settings for the body media again. I want to lose at least 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week if I can.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love it. More accurate for than others. It has more sensors on it for better accuracy. It even measures my lifting afterburn which no other device (most are step based) has been able to do.
  • adipace815
    adipace815 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I tried the BodyMedia Fit for about a month. My skin had a reaction to it. I found it to be uncomfortable and really not any more accurate than any of the other pedometers that I have used. I had a fitbit before that and was pretty pleased with that. After I returned the BodyMedia Fit, I purchased a Polar Loop which I wear like a bracelet/watch. Its far more comfortable and tracks similar things as the BodyMedia Fit. It also will synchronize with a chest Heart Rate Monitor if you want to use one during cardio. And finally, there is no monthly subscription for the online data tracking and synchronization. Just my thoughts... Good luck!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    I also tried the Polar Loop, and found it a bit annoying. The whole point of the Loop and Vivofit are the heart rate monitors on top of the pedometer tracking. Yet, on the loop, you can't see your heart rate without pressing the button a few times. Repeatedly. Every time you want to see if you're in the right zone. Constantly having to push that button.

It's great for logging the info after the workout, but during? It's mind-bogglingly awful.

Also, the warning to move because you've been still too long? If you're not staring directly at the screen, you totally miss it. It just flashes and it's gone. There's no vibration or anything to warn you to look, you just have to be coincidentally looking when it happens in order to see it. Not very useful.

I haven't tried the BodyMedia to compare, but of the Loop and the Vivofit, the Vivofit wins hands down.
  • lisambrown568
    Options
    I have hives several times a year (I think from food allergys) and the body media caused my skin to react but now I wear it on my wrist and it has not caused me any problems.
  • Obrienlo
    Obrienlo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been using the BMF for a week now. Love it! Love that it tracks everything that you're doing to get exact calorie burn. It tells you how much you burn during the day - how much you eat- and how much of a deficit you need at the end of the day to lose weight. I find it incredibly good at making me think twice before I put something in my mouth. It also helps motivate you to do more activities and to beat your previous days calorie burn! I also love that I have found that I average 5 1/2 hours sleep a night when I thought I was getting at least 7! Highly recommend :)