Cutting out excess sugar

Options
I'm tryng to lose about three pound for my holiday in six weeks so I'm cutting down on the food I eat (especially the junk food :tongue: ) my main problem I have a sweet sweet tooth.
But Im still going over my total sugar that MFP recommends though I'm way under my calorie goal.
I don't substitute snacks for meals and am limiting myself to one chocolate bar a day (going without chocolate would p prove fatal for me).
Is there any way that I can cut down on more sugar without having to eat less than I am at the moment?
Are there cheap savoury snacks with little or no sugar that I could buy?
Also, I eat a lot of fruit so theres a lot of natural sugar my diet. Does MFP take this info consideration?
Any suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• reoskit
    reoskit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't know the difference between natural sugars (fruit, sweet potatoes, etc) and processed sugars (chocolate, candy, etc). It's disheartening, but there you go. As far as MFP knows, you could eat your day's worth of sugar in pudding or apples and it wouldn't perceive any difference. That leaves the burden on you. You need to read ingredient labels or, better yet, eat things that don't need labels.

Can you move to a dark chocolate to cut back on some refined sugar? Dark chocolate hits the spot for me if I stop and take time to savor it, which also means I can eat less of it and walk away happy. Sometimes I pair it with a good cup of coffee and it takes it to another level. Best of luck - I'm on the same path to weed out junk sugars and it's not easy.
  • greeniris101
    Options
    Sugar is a really tough subject to address because it is found in processed food and in healthy food, such as fruit. I recommend a piece of literature called "The 21 Day Sugar Detox" by: Dianne Sanfillippo. I've heard wonderful success from this. You first need to read your labels to make sure sugars aren't hiding in your diet foods. For instance some yogurts come packed with 21g of sugar and protein bars sometimes have anywhere from 14-17g of sugars. For me if I ever want something sweet I get a spoon and some honey. It really shuts the sugar devil up! Best of luck to you!
  • greeniris101
    Options
    I'm simply making a suggestion and letting them decide what works for them. What works for you may not work for them.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a really tough subject to address because it is found in processed food and in healthy food, such as fruit. I recommend a piece of literature called "The 21 Day Sugar Detox" by: Dianne Sanfillippo. I've heard wonderful success from this. You first need to read your labels to make sure sugars aren't hiding in your diet foods. For instance some yogurts come packed with 21g of sugar and protein bars sometimes have anywhere from 14-17g of sugars. For me if I ever want something sweet I get a spoon and some honey. It really shuts the sugar devil up! Best of luck to you!

Honey is sugar.