Helppppp

Options
hey guys,

I'm realizing that I am in fact an emotional / boredom eater. I know it doesn't sound like much of an epiphany but for me it kind of is. I've always thought of myself as pretty controlled and that I didn't have this sort of problem. Then I find myself eating when im happy, sociable, sad, irritated, bored etc. Im not sure where I made the transition that food was such a big thing to me but it obviously is -- in the fact that I'm 25lb heavier than when I started my new job a year and a half ago (advertising -- there is food everywhere!!!) and 45 lb heavier than I was 8 years ago when I was a healthy active 18year old. and funny i thought I was fat at 160, thought I was fat at 140 and i feel absolutely awful now for ever thinking that as I sit right around 184....

I'm disappointed in myself and frustrated as I try for the Third time to get this together and use MFP to help. I worked out hard this morning,then i couldn't decide what to make for dinner, got bored and irritated , munched then ate a 1400 cal dinner at old chicago.

I'm a mess and hoping that some one out there has been where I'm at. What helped you change your habits and thought processes?

I know where I want to be in terms of loss but there's some disconnect and im not making the changes I need to in so many ways.

Helpppppppp if you can, i appreciate thoughts, suggestions.

Becky

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    This won't sound like help, but. The way I really got started was I finally got to a place where not only did I want to be thinner, I wanted to ACT like a thinner person. When you're eating celery and dying for Reese's cups, you're not going to get thin. When you're on the couch planning tomorrow's workout (and thus skipping today's), you're not going to get thin.

And you genuinely have to want to. Nobody can make you. It's inside your heart.

But once you feel it, I find that Biggest Loser is a great way to stay motivated. I work out during the episode (my Biggest Loser workouts are 800-1000 calorie workouts, and I leave feeling thinner and incredibly happy).

Does that make sense? Feel free to PM me questions, etc. And good luck :smile:
  • mlharris
    mlharris Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I hear you and understand... I'm the same way..... I'm starting off Jan 1, sounds cliche but I lost 6 pounds in 6 weeks starting at the end of October and within the past 3 weeks gained back 5...

How about if you feel like snacking on something, do some form of exercise... if at home, sit ups or something..... at work, think about how you want to be in 3 months and how that will affect you... think twice before you eat.... I'm not an expert, just something I'm going to do as well....

We can do it!
  • doggiemomma
    Options
    I totally understand. I have a job that I set all day at and I didn't realize how bad my weight had gotten until someone took a picture of me setting at work and it made me sick. I am also on emotional/boredom eater. I personally think that is the hardest to break. I noticed that today I was so busy that I didn't have time to eat and I felt better. I am going to try very hard in the new year to break this cycle of e/b eating. I will be there for you if you need any support.

From one e/b eater to another.......
    Nicole
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    This won't sound like help, but. The way I really got started was I finally got to a place where not only did I want to be thinner, I wanted to ACT like a thinner person. When you're eating celery and dying for Reese's cups, you're not going to get thin. When you're on the couch planning tomorrow's workout (and thus skipping today's), you're not going to get thin.

And you genuinely have to want to. Nobody can make you. It's inside your heart.

But once you feel it, I find that Biggest Loser is a great way to stay motivated. I work out during the episode (my Biggest Loser workouts are 800-1000 calorie workouts, and I leave feeling thinner and incredibly happy).

Does that make sense? Feel free to PM me questions, etc. And good luck :smile:

It makes sense it does. Funny you mentioned BL I've been watching those during some workouts and it has helped motivate. I gotta get my head straight about acting like a thin person. I need to want the healthy choices like your saying. Right now I say I do but then when I'm bored or etc etc im like what the hell and it goes out the window :( i know I can do it
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Becky, I know exactly where you are coming from. I also am a big time emotional eater! It is something that is very hard to overcome. I have by no means mastered that yet but one day I know we can! Going through my divorce I saw a therapist and she talked to me about making a list of all the emotions that I find myself wanting to grab food. Next to each emotion write down something you can do instead of eating. For example: Sad- Call a good friend, or go for a walk. One thing that I did make a major mistake on was going shopping whenever I found myself wanting to eat when I knew I was not hungry! This left me broke and even worse off. One thing I do that helps me from eating is to keep a motivational letter I wrote to myself and read that throughout the day for support. It also helps to keep a photo with you of your heaviest and that can help with motivation. Also feel free to add me as a friend for support too! Hope it helps!
  • Becky011
    Options
    I totally understand. I have a job that I set all day at and I didn't realize how bad my weight had gotten until someone took a picture of me setting at work and it made me sick. I am also on emotional/boredom eater. I personally think that is the hardest to break. I noticed that today I was so busy that I didn't have time to eat and I felt better. I am going to try very hard in the new year to break this cycle of e/b eating. I will be there for you if you need any support.

From one e/b eater to another.......
    Nicole

In my old job I was on my feet all day and very busy and didn't really have time to eat and you're right it does help a lot! Im starting a new job Jan 3rd hoping the change of scenery will help me change and hopefully keep me busy too!
  • green__bean
    Options
    Mine probably wont help either but I am in the same shape you are only I am about 10 years older. My advice? If you want to change it, do it now. Don't find excuse after excuse like me and then be sorry 10 years later. I wish I could go back to where I realized that I needed to change and really do it. This is your time. You're young and you CAN do it. The person that posted before me was really inspiring. That is what I do at work and in class, find someone that inspires me and watch what they do. Maybe stay connected with that person and learn all you can. You are worth the effort and you can do it. **Ok I just saw that there were a lot of people before me that were inspiring but kristinlough was who I was referring to**
  • Becky011
    Options
    Becky, I know exactly where you are coming from. I also am a big time emotional eater! It is something that is very hard to overcome. I have by no means mastered that yet but one day I know we can! Going through my divorce I saw a therapist and she talked to me about making a list of all the emotions that I find myself wanting to grab food. Next to each emotion write down something you can do instead of eating. For example: Sad- Call a good friend, or go for a walk. One thing that I did make a major mistake on was going shopping whenever I found myself wanting to eat when I knew I was not hungry! This left me broke and even worse off. One thing I do that helps me from eating is to keep a motivational letter I wrote to myself and read that throughout the day for support. It also helps to keep a photo with you of your heaviest and that can help with motivation. Also feel free to add me as a friend for support too! Hope it helps!

This is really good advice. I appreciate it! I will definitely try these things. After I finally got through my divorce I stopped really wanting to think about my feelings and that could be part of my problem :( thanks again for the advice. I added you hopefully we can keep in touch
  • bkegurl36
    bkegurl36 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

This is really good advice. I appreciate it! I will definitely try these things. After I finally got through my divorce I stopped really wanting to think about my feelings and that could be part of my problem :( thanks again for the advice. I added you hopefully we can keep in touch

I was the same with my divorce I kept everything bottled up inside and had the attitude that nothing mattered anymore nothing was a big deal anymore, I felt numb to be honest but that is not life! That is not exciting so I started putting myself first. I was on fire at first, lost half the weight and then took about a half a year off, and now I am back! Dont let those little binges let you think that you are not worth it or that its pointless! Because every bit of it is worth it and everyone of us will fall at some point! We just have to pick ourselves up and make it to the finish line!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    Something that really helped me was reading a lot of books about food, how its processed, global food systems, etc. It is eye opening to say the least... knowing where food comes from, knowing the environmental and economic impacts of my food choices really changed my thought processes more than anything. I lost over 20 pounds over the course of about a year, and then I hit a major plateau for a few months this fall. That's probably because I was forgetting my motivations and was also eating my feelings. I'm seeing a therapist this coming semester (for multiple reasons including my approach to food) because I really felt that I'd lost what 'normal' was when it came to food. I ate at odd times and would occasionally binge eat at night when I was stressed. Recently I've been re-reading my books and taking alone-time to find my motivations and continue to persevere.

If emotional eating is really a big problem, I'd highly suggest talking to a professional or something... I get anxious and talk myself in circles on my own - I'm anticipating some sessions to discuss the root of my problems and how to face them without turning to food. It's really, really difficult to lose weight permanently, or lose weight at all... I wish you the best of luck!!!

This R.W. Emerson quote always helps me when I have a bad night or if I overeat and feel like crap: "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater and the only thing that has helped me this was getting control over my eating or I would be over 200 lbs by not. The tip I would like to give you is to set little goals: the first one would be staying under your calorie count and if you don't you have to exercise those calories away...get stubborn about it...no matter what stay under. I would then start setting little goals each week and finding ways to cut calories. Example: I was drinking 2 iced mochas per day with whip cream...well I switched to 1 iced mocha (now I have it hot), then changed how I ordered it non-fat one pump chocolate...no whip cream. I also use to hate drinking water and one day I just decided I would give up diet pepsi, as soon as I gave up the diet pepsi I just started drinking more and more water. I still eat things I like, but in moderation. If I want a cheeseburger...I have it, but only eat half and maybe 2 or 3 fries. Anyway....message me if you want more tips. I was overweight for 13 yrs after I had my last son, so I just want you to be successful!!!
  • Becky011
    Options
    Mine probably wont help either but I am in the same shape you are only I am about 10 years older. My advice? If you want to change it, do it now. Don't find excuse after excuse like me and then be sorry 10 years later. I wish I could go back to where I realized that I needed to change and really do it. This is your time. You're young and you CAN do it. The person that posted before me was really inspiring. That is what I do at work and in class, find someone that inspires me and watch what they do. Maybe stay connected with that person and learn all you can. You are worth the effort and you can do it. **Ok I just saw that there were a lot of people before me that were inspiring but kristinlough was who I was referring to**

Thanks for your message! I need to remind myself the reasons deep down I am committed to being healthy. My family as a whole is overweight and unhealthy, i love them and worry for their health and happiness. At a young age (13) I stopped the cycle and committed to lose weight and quickly lost nearly 40lbs and got actively involved in a sport. I was healthy and an example for my family and they told me that. After high school i started putting it back on (serious relationship....enough said) and got up to 198. I knw I didn't want to hit 200 and started dropping it again and got down to 160. Following my divorce kept it off for awhile and now im back up. Long story short, in all of this I forgot my motivation wasn't just about looks it was in fact about being healthy long term and breaking a very unnecessary cycle.

Everyone tells me it gets harder as life goes on. Thank you for reminding me of a very important motivation!!!
  • Becky011
    Options
    I'm definitely an emotional eater and the only thing that has helped me this was getting control over my eating or I would be over 200 lbs by not. The tip I would like to give you is to set little goals: the first one would be staying under your calorie count and if you don't you have to exercise those calories away...get stubborn about it...no matter what stay under. I would then start setting little goals each week and finding ways to cut calories. Example: I was drinking 2 iced mochas per day with whip cream...well I switched to 1 iced mocha (now I have it hot), then changed how I ordered it non-fat one pump chocolate...no whip cream. I also use to hate drinking water and one day I just decided I would give up diet pepsi, as soon as I gave up the diet pepsi I just started drinking more and more water. I still eat things I like, but in moderation. If I want a cheeseburger...I have it, but only eat half and maybe 2 or 3 fries. Anyway....message me if you want more tips. I was overweight for 13 yrs after I had my last son, so I just want you to be successful!!!

Thanks ! The only time I've been successful in the past was with this kind of committment. I worked out 7 days a week regardless of what I ate (which was really strict) and if I messed up in my eating it was even more importaNt that I work out and I did it whether it was 5 am or 11pm no matter what I got it in (that was the days of tae Bo :)

Thanks for the encouragement ! Your posts always motivate me and your success even more
  • Becky011
    Options
    Thank u for the great ideas! The education piece is big. And I think that will help. I remember when I learned about hydrogenated oils in science class and found out regular peanut butter was basically lard that my body would struggle to break down and digest. I never wanted to touch it after that! Now I buy natural :)

I will definitely look for some books
    If there's any you would recommend let me know. Thanks again!! :)
    Something that really helped me was reading a lot of books about food, how its processed, global food systems, etc. It is eye opening to say the least... knowing where food comes from, knowing the environmental and economic impacts of my food choices really changed my thought processes more than anything. I lost over 20 pounds over the course of about a year, and then I hit a major plateau for a few months this fall. That's probably because I was forgetting my motivations and was also eating my feelings. I'm seeing a therapist this coming semester (for multiple reasons including my approach to food) because I really felt that I'd lost what 'normal' was when it came to food. I ate at odd times and would occasionally binge eat at night when I was stressed. Recently I've been re-reading my books and taking alone-time to find my motivations and continue to persevere.

If emotional eating is really a big problem, I'd highly suggest talking to a professional or something... I get anxious and talk myself in circles on my own - I'm anticipating some sessions to discuss the root of my problems and how to face them without turning to food. It's really, really difficult to lose weight permanently, or lose weight at all... I wish you the best of luck!!!

This R.W. Emerson quote always helps me when I have a bad night or if I overeat and feel like crap: "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense."