Multi-Vitamins

Options
Anyone out there actually know what they're talking about that can direct me to a good multivitamin?

I feel like taking vitamins is one of those things that....you don't really know whether or not it's working or doing you any good.

I used to take a liquid vitamin and liquid calcium supplement, at different times of the day because apparently the two negate each other? Something to do with the Vitamin D helping you absorb the calcium? I also was taking liquid vitamins because apparently they absorb better. The problem is that they were giving me some serious bathroom issues. TMI, i know. I tried cutting the dose in half, then by 1/4, but the problem still persisted.

I am currently just taking womens one a day multivitamin, and have been eating calcium rich foods.

What is everyone else doing?

Replies

• greeniris101
    Options
    I really love Alive Women's multi + energy. So many fruits and veggies and essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Most vitamins and supplements are money-making gimmicks. Period. Studies have been done repeatedly regarding the use of multivitamins, and they have zero effect on health or mortality. Unless you have an established deficiency for a specific reason, (hereditary metabolic disorder, that kind of thing) then you're basically just buying expensive placebos (and if you do have an established deficit, your doctor will prescribe a specific supplement, not a multivitamin).
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    The cheapest. They are all the same, essentially. Some come in pretty packaging, tell you they will save your life and then do the same as the Tesco Value packet.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Most vitamins and supplements are money-making gimmicks. Period. Studies have been done repeatedly regarding the use of multivitamins, and they have zero effect on health or mortality. Unless you have an established deficiency for a specific reason, (hereditary metabolic disorder, that kind of thing) then you're basically just buying expensive placebos (and if you do have an established deficit, your doctor will prescribe a specific supplement, not a multivitamin).

^ this is not true.

if you have a varied and nutritionally complete diet, you may not really need a multivitamin.

and there is some debate about the absorptivity of vitamins and minerals from a multi-vitamin compared to those obtained from food.

but as an insurance policy, you can't beat taking a daily multivitamin. it's VERY cheap insurance too. pennies per day.

there's been a media push recently to discredit multivitamins, but it's been based on half truths and omissions of important disclaimers, all the while leading with sensational headlines.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/12/30/misleading-news-on-multivitamins-how-media-missed-the-value-of-supplements

i've taken a multivitamin (Centrum) for about 30 years now... ever since i was a teenager... and i think it's been money well spent. i think of it as a $20-$30 a year insurance policy just in case my diet isn't perfect.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    what I do is i break my multi into 1/3 pieces. and take one 1/3 piece with my main 3 meals.. I imagine its better absorbed that way than all at once..only to be urinated out shortly.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    i use better you multivitamin spray

i have been told by my consultant that i must take one for life due to stomach and bowel issues and i get a b12 shot every 12 weeks for life too
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eat a varied, balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and you should have no need for vitamin supplements.

If you really feel the need to take something as a 'top-up' then a cheap, basic multi-vitamin should be fine. Anything over and above this will just make for expensive urine as most vitamins above that which your body needs and can use are simply peed out.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options

^ this is not true.

if you have a varied and nutritionally complete diet, you may not really need a multivitamin.

and there is some debate about the absorptivity of vitamins and minerals from a multi-vitamin compared to those obtained from food.

but as an insurance policy, you can't beat taking a daily multivitamin. it's VERY cheap insurance too. pennies per day.

there's been a media push recently to discredit multivitamins, but it's been based on half truths and omissions of important disclaimers, all the while leading with sensational headlines.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/12/30/misleading-news-on-multivitamins-how-media-missed-the-value-of-supplements

i've taken a multivitamin (Centrum) for about 30 years now... ever since i was a teenager... and i think it's been money well spent. i think of it as a $20-$30 a year insurance policy just in case my diet isn't perfect.

Sorry dude, but even the article you linked states that the only benefits found in studies are a slight decrease in cancer in men over 50, and pregnant women. Unless you are a pregnant woman or are a man over 50, you are throwing your money away. Even then, further research reveals that vitamin D was the specific substance which had an impact on cancer, and folic acid is the specific substance which helps prevent birth defects. You're welcome to toss money at a multivitamin if you want, but why not just take the specific substance that you need?

In most cases, it doesn't hurt you to take it. If you feel the need for an "insurance policy" then go right ahead. But you'd be better off throwing that money at a really good probiotic.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I take a Women's One-A-Day. I buy the store brand as it's cheaper and for the most part has the exact same percentage of vitamins in it as the name brand.

I also take a Vitamin C though now that winter is over I might stop taking that.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

^ this is not true.

Sorry dude, but even the article you linked states that the only benefits found in studies are a slight decrease in cancer in men over 50, and pregnant women. Unless you are a pregnant woman or are a man over 50, you are throwing your money away. Even then, further research reveals that vitamin D was the specific substance which had an impact on cancer, and folic acid is the specific substance which helps prevent birth defects. You're welcome to toss money at a multivitamin if you want, but why not just take the specific substance that you need?

In most cases, it doesn't hurt you to take it. If you feel the need for an "insurance policy" then go right ahead. But you'd be better off throwing that money at a really good probiotic.

i think you're completely missing the point.... the reason to take a multi-vitamin is to have as many of your bases covered as possible. unless you're planning on having bloodwork done every 6 months to see if you're deficient in anything, the most logical thing to do is to take a multivitamin every day as a cheap insurance policy. $20-$30 doesn't even fill up my gas tank once, so it's hardly throwing money away.

i don't take it because i'm specifically worried about cancer or any of that other stuff. i take it because the potential benefits far outweigh the cost.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Sorry but I disagree.

I take vitamins daily: a multi, omega-3, vitamin D, calcium, coQ10 along with others that do various things to help the body along with a balanced diet. Even the healthiest eater can use some supplementation by way of vitamins. Considering the fact that the RDA is so pathetically low I don't think you can get everything your body needs just from eating the foods you eat. I can count on one hand the amount of times I'm sick during the year and since taking supplements when I do get a cold it lasts two days TOPS where as before I'd constantly be fighting it, it would leave, come back and weeks would go by before I was finally able to shake it.

I also get my blood work done twice a year and adjust my supplements as necessary.
  • afrinak
    afrinak Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't take vitamins, the science isn't really on their side right now:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/17/251955878/the-case-against-multivitamins-grows-stronger
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    I don't take vitamins, the science isn't really on their side right now:
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/17/251955878/the-case-against-multivitamins-grows-stronger

not true. go look at the actual studies and not the summaries written up my non-technical people in the media.

the studies that claim multivitamins are not useful all did their studies with subjects who ate what were considered nutritionally complete diets. so worst case scenario, the multivitamins weren't needed. if you think your diet is perfect, then feel free to skip the multivitamins. but that's not the same thing as saying that science is against them. that's not even a logical argument. the only logical argument against them would be when you are already meeting your needs from food, or if you could show that these vitamins are not being well-absorbed by the body.
  • kthulhu69
    kthulhu69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you look hard enough you'll find a plethora of studies supporting both sides. There are other suppliments I take as well as a multivitamin which were recommended to me by a dermatologist to help with psoriasis, and some I take to help prevent prostate problems on down the road, but I do take a Centrum each day as well. It amounts to about $15 every four months. I can live with that even if relatively few of the ingredients help much at all.

I will add that I hate vegetables and most fruits. I try to get them into my diet anyway, but I'm probably a better candidate than some for a multivitamin just due to the fact that how I eat likely leaves me deficient in some areas.