New Mom, Breastfeeding

Options
Hello MFP members!

I was on a diet before pregnancy and was successfully loosing weight, but then gained it all back during pregnancy and now I am determined to lose the weight again, plus more!

However, I just had my baby two weeks ago and I have not been discharged from my doctor yet, so I am not exercising much besides walking and staying busy with my two small kiddos.

My question is regarding breastfeeding. Prior to pregnancy I was eating 1200 calories, but I exceeded my calorie intake to 1500 since I am breastfeeding my newborn. Is anyone experienced in this topic? Any advice would help tremendously! Should I be eating more for my baby?

Last thing I want is to reduce my child's milk supply, or to not provide the proper nutrition.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Fuamami
    Fuamami Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's been a few year since I was BFing, but I remember them saying it burned up to 500 extra calories a day. Might want to take that into account!

Honestly, I have never been hungrier than when I was nursing a baby.
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've heard/read/been told 300 to 500 extra calories for breastfeeding. I would aim for 500 extra and see how it goes so you don't diminish your supply.
  • LuvORR
    LuvORR Posts: 36
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I agree!! Breast feeding makes me so hungry and dehydrated.
  • pkdjsd
    pkdjsd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's true, breastfeeding burns about 500 calories/day. Just make them healthy calories and not cheeseburger calories and you should be fine. I noticed anytime I tried to reduce my intake, or increase exercise, I would have a supply drop within a few days. Some people don't seem to have that problem though. I totally remember the never ending thirst!
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Id maybe increase it just slightly. If your baby is taking 500+ you may end up netting under a 1000 a day which isnt optimal. Maybe give 1700 a go and see how the weight loss is.

In the early days its suggested not to cut calories at all while you are establishing your milk supply. Your body needs all the calories it can to help your body produce lots of milk for baby :) Plus during growth spurts your baby will want to increase your milk supply, this may be harder if you are in a caloric deficit.

Take it slow while bubba is young. Congrats to you by the way :)
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If it helps I eat 2000 a day to lose 0.5lbs a week (as set by my goals) but I am actually losing 1-2lbs a week due to the 2 breastfeeds I still give my toddler per day. Breastfeeding really can take up a lot of calories from you.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You can log breastfeeding and it subtracts calories!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    LOTS of water and an extra 500 calories run your TDEE and BMR numbers

Congratulations!
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    ditto on what has been said on upping the calories and remember to drink LOTS of water - very important when breast feeding. I always drank 1 glass of water each time I breastfed - so no excuses to forget!
    Congrats on your newest bundle of joy! :flowerforyou:
  • Kidsonic
    Kidsonic Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am in the same place as you! My baby is 4 months old and just a few days ago I "caught up" to my weight loss from before I got pregnant. Still have quite a ways to go though.

I am also exclusively BFing. I log it in my diary (-500 cals a day). There are other options in the database too, so when you start adding in food to your baby's feedings, you can drop the BFing cals down. My goal is 1830 cals/day, so when I add in BF it goes up to 2330. Once I was able to start exercising I've been losing pretty slow and steady with this.

Good luck, and be gentle to yourself. You deserve it!
  • funnybun1
    funnybun1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Kudos for breast feeding. Hope it's an enjoyable experience for you :) When I was nursing my munchkin I remember having to make sure that I was well hydrated, ate a variety of good foods in reasonable proportions, and that I needed extra calcium. My legs freakin hurt so bad and when I asked my doctor, they said to take calcium. A multivitamin wouldn't hurt. From what I had researched, nursing does burn calories (the 500 mark sounds familiar). I'd say it's up to you if you log it as calories lost. If you don't count it and account for eating back some of your calories burned, you may just reach your goal a smidgen faster.:drinker:
  • LuvORR
    Options
    Very helpful ladies!! I didn't know I could log breast feeding, where? I'm looking this up now. ;) Breastfeeding is great and my baby girl is a natural; she latched on as soon as she was born. I'm definitely adding more healthier calories to my diet! I'm drinking about 9-12 cups of water a day too, might increase that as well.

Overall I want to be a healthier mom while providing healthy milk for my newborn.

Thanks again for all advice.
  • LuvORR
    Options
    I am in the same place as you! My baby is 4 months old and just a few days ago I "caught up" to my weight loss from before I got pregnant. Still have quite a ways to go though.

I am also exclusively BFing. I log it in my diary (-500 cals a day). There are other options in the database too, so when you start adding in food to your baby's feedings, you can drop the BFing cals down. My goal is 1830 cals/day, so when I add in BF it goes up to 2330. Once I was able to start exercising I've been losing pretty slow and steady with this.

Good luck, and be gentle to yourself. You deserve it!

Wow!!! That's awesome! I'm only eating about 1500 calories a day! And I'm starving by the end of the day! I haven't noticed a decrease on my supply yet but I would hate that to happen! How soon were you allowed to exercise strenuously? I feel ready to do some Jillian workouts but I'm being cautious and rather have the ok from dr first. Congrats on your baby as well!!
  • arainiday1
    arainiday1 Posts: 1,763 Member
    Options
    1. WELCOME! Hi! I'm also a breastfeeding mom if you want to add me.

2. join the support group here - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/214-breastfeeding-support

3. log your breastfeeding for sure! and make sure you set your profile to a SLOW weight loss (i do .5 a week) so you don't have to worry about your supply

4. water, water, water, water!!! your best friend! make sure you stay hydrated!!!

i think everyone pretty much has covered it but keep on nursing !!! :flowerforyou:
  • arainiday1
    Options
    oh the excercise thing, as long as your doc has cleared you for excercise.....

if you do burn cals by means of excercise then EAT IT BACK! yes yes you can and YES you will still lose!
  • alienfruit
    alienfruit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've bfd all 4 of mine, youngest now 15 months. Yes, adding 500 per day to your allowance will give you the right result assuming you are exclusively bf and not supplementing with formula. Don't over-exercise either. I over-did the exercise after my first as I was getting married soon after and it did affect my.supply. Good luck!
  • arainiday1
    Options
    Oh i just saw, two weeks ago?!?! oh no.... rest rest rest!! i would say wait at LEAST 4 weeks. or 6.... maybe some nice walks with the baby but your doc will likely tell you 4-6 weeks.... sometimes longer..
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was going to say add 500 calories to your total. If I remember right, that was what I was told to do. Can't remember for sure. I know that when I did weight watchers I got more points for bfing. My kids are 3 1/2 and 6, so its been a little while for me.
  • Rachel818
    Rachel818 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I havent BF my son for a year but I read way too many articles about it. Basically you burn about 20 calories per oz of breast milk and babies take in on avg 25-30oz per day. So depending on whether your baby is a chugger :) you may need a few more or a few less calories for the milk. I had to primarily pump my milk since I went back to work when he was about 4 months old so that is how I found out how much I was producing and how much I was "burning" from milk production.

All in all breast feeding is AWESOME and kuddos to you for doing it :)
  • LuvORR
    Options
    Thanks again ladies!! Yes, I am exclusively breast feeding and I will be pumping when I go back to work in June. I already lost a few pounds, some natural baby weight I guess and 1.2 pounds last week. I have been keeping my calorie intake at 1500. Everyone says I should increase to 1700 (1200 diet + 500), but I am so scared to gain weight. I am so insecure and had lost so much weight before pregnancy that I want the same results. I know I am rushing it :(

But overall, my children matter more! If I notice her milk supply drop then I will eat more calories! I just finished breastfeeding and she was drinking with no problem, so I assume everything is good! Also, been keeping hydrated for sure.

I totally love this site and am so glad to be back on! Kuddos to all of us breastfeeding while trying to get healthy!