I did it again.... :(

Options
After doing well for a few weeks, I screwed up yesterday and today and I am so mad at myself. At least I logged everything truthfully and so I am aware of the damage I did.

I want to get back on track from tomorrow and exercise hard this weekend in order to work off the damage I did....

I need a kick to start back up again... :embarassed:

Replies

• svandever101585
    svandever101585 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You can do it. You accepted responsibility by posting this and logging your food. You have your goals in mind and it sounds like you have a plan. Brush it off and keep moving. You will get there.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    First, it's probably not as bad as you think. Consider the math:

In order to lose 1 pound per week, we set a goal which is 500 calories less than we expend for the day, right? That makes a 3500 calorie deficit for the week which equals 1 pound. For half a pound, the deficit for the week is half as much (1750). So, for the week, unless you fell off the wagon so hard that you ate an extra 1750-3500 calories, then you're still at a deficit, still losing, just not as fast. Make sense?

Second, sometimes you just have to enjoy yourself. Sometimes it's worth it to your mental and emotional well-being to go over your calorie goal for the day. You intention to make up for it is the perfect thing to do. Many people save up calories in advance for a few days so that they can have a special treat and stay within their goal. There's nothing wrong with doing it the other way around, having the treat and then making the room in your caloric budget, as long as you actually do it.

So, stop beating yourself up, think about how much you enjoyed your romp with food the past couple of days, smile fondly, and calmly get on with making room in your budget for it.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options

I really appreciate all the support and encouragement... I will get back on track from tomorrow for sure...
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Honestly, what helped me a long time ago was to stop looking at this process as one of extremes. It's not about perfection and doing it "right". It's not about "screwing up" and failure. It's about doing the best I can to meet my nutritional/calorie goals and accepting that there will be days when that doesn't happen. There will be days when I intentionally don't meet those goals because it's Christmas, or I'm on holiday and get the opportunity to go to an amazing restaurant or whatever. There will be times that I don't meet those goals because I end up eating different things from usual and somehow accidentally mess up my totals, or don't get a planned workout in. There will also be times that I don't meet those goals because hey, you know what? I am an emotional eater and have used over-eating to make myself feel better for 25+ years and even though I'm constantly working on this, habits don't change overnight. And it's ok. It's ok that I don't always meet my goals. I lost the weight anyway, and I've been maintaining for over a year. Turned out, perfection wasn't necessary.

If this is truly a lifestyle change and not a temporary diet, then you can't screw up; you can't fail. It's not a test or a performance. It's a process. Each time it doesn't go as planned is a learning opportunity. It's a chance to adjust if necessary and do things differently next time. Don't "get back on track tomorrow", just continue living your life, which is now a little more focused on health. Try not to look at it as a diet that you mess up and then restart again the next day. Try not to live by the "falling off the wagon" and "starting again" mentality. It's a continuous process, and one where you don't have to get it "right" all the time.

Looking at your diary, I'm sure you're still at a deficit for the week anyway. And even if you weren't - so what? You reach your goal a week later than you would have anyway? This doesn't end when you reach your goal, so there is no deadline. Just live - enjoy your food, and keep learning how to do it in a way that supports your health.
  • DaveneGfit
    DaveneGfit Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    You got this!!
  • Neliel88
    Neliel88 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    We all screw up from time to time! Please don't feel bad about it, because you realise you made a mistake and you're going to keep going from here. It's the 'now' that is important, not what has already happened. Just keep swimming!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Well done for being accountable and logging it all.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: It happens. You are still on track! Believe it or not! You logged truthfully and you remained in control. Good for you!:smile:
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What Jester said!

Don't worry, everyone does it sometimes. You don't have to be perfect all the time! And weight loss isn't all or nothing, it's an ongoing thing. This one day doesn't matter at all in the long run.
  • Fattackler2013
    Fattackler2013 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day so you can definitely turn things around. We all slip up from time to time, but the important thing is to remember how far you've come so that you don't just give up. You can do it.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    i'm planning on doing it again....^^ and doing it again.... and again... don't worry about breaking your plans.. start planning to break them instead.. but with that also keep planning on doing some extra time at the gym....some extra time walking... extra time or whatever you find enjoyable...

Diet doesn't me you must Die...
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Good for you for logging it. I keep seeing posts from people who take a day or two (or more) off and eat stuff they shouldn't and don't log what they eat. It's always better to know how much you ate so you can plan ahead to burn it off. It might take a little longer because of the setback, but it's not really good to lose too much weigh too quickly anyway. Most people allow themselves a "cheat day" or two where they're allowed to go over by a little as long as the other 5-6 days balance it out.
  • elghee123
    elghee123 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    During this weight loss journey, I realized that at some point in time, I will go through a path where I can't control myself and give-in to the things I used to love and used-to-eat. But, I also learned to move on and start all over again no matter how many tries and fail as long as I am not giving up.

I call it cheat or trick, haha.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss, of 10lb. That's over, 1lb a month. Give yourself some credit, because you're winning the race. Tortoise style :)
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on being accountable and on being human :)

Suck it up buttercup LOL... you can't do any damage by falling off track for a day or even a few days.

I went away for a long weekend with the hubs last summer and fell off track big time for three or four days in a road and boy did I have fun eating that fried seafood, ice cream, desserts, bread, etc. The sad part is I didn't even really work out because there was no gym at the hotel where I stayed. I did do a lot of walking but eh... I was on vacation. Guess what... I didn't even gain one pound as a result.

You are human and not perfect and don't have to be so hard on yourself. Believe me... don't get to a point where you are so consumed with the "number" that you forget to enjoy life.

Just don't make it a habit and get back on track as soon as you can. You will be just fine!
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Firstly, you can do this. We all have some days tougher than others!

Secondly having had a quick look at your diary may be chuck in some protein for breakfast or slow release carbs (egg on wholemeal toast if you have time in a morning, or like me a gronola bar & protein shake as don't have time to cook and have breakfast at work) so you're not so hungry come lunch time might help. A single serving of fruit for breakfast would have me ravenous by 9am.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    log it, own it, move on ..

we did not get fat overnight and one day or even a few days a year of excess is not going to ruin anything…
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    log it, own it, move on ..

we did not get fat overnight and one day or even a few days a year of excess is not going to ruin anything…

^^^^THIS - OP you have owned it, move on as NDJ said. Today is a new day, make it yours!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    great post Jester - that would have been my answer if I were smarter, and more eloquent, and had lost loads of weight so could talk from experience.
  • noor_v
    noor_v Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You Everyone - for all your support :flowerforyou: :heart:

I'm feeling much better today and you know what... it'll be fine in the long run... I'm going to get to where I'm going - for sure :smile:

Joining MFP was the best decision I ever made :happy: :bigsmile: