Do you eat before a morning jog/run

Options
I personally just get up, have a glass of water and a cup of green tea and then i'm out the door but i don't eat past 6pm at night so that's a good 12 hours of no food so i have no idea what's fueling me. I've heard both sides of the to eat or not to eat argument.
What do you find works best for you?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Nope. I eat well after. 12pm is usually my first meal and I'm up at 6:30 every morning. I'll usually run at 9:00am once my DD is in school, then I hit the gym.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I drink a large glass of warm lemon water every morning, then get ready to head out to run. I never eat anything. Everyone is different. Some can tolerate food, some can't. I'm one who can't. It's best to try out different things to see how you feel, then stick with what works best and makes you feel best!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on the session, but generally my intervals or tempo sessions are in the evening anyway, so morning sessions are generally my long run. Given that I'm out for 2-3 hours then I generally eat a bowl of porridge about an hour before I head out.

Same for long rides.

For the tempo and interval sessions they're generally about 1800-1900 starts so I'll have had something about 1230 for lunch and that's about it.
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I dont eat before my morning run, I usually eat right after. If I eat anyting within an hour or two of a run, I get a sharp pain in my side.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like about 100 calories before I run in the morning. Usually it is a small granola bar, tortilla or piece of bread. If its a hard workout or longer than an hour, I will get too hungry and fade if I don't eat anything.
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    feet on the floor, to the bathroom, dressed, out the door. If I pause, I stall and might not make it out.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    feet on the floor, to the bathroom, dressed, out the door. If I pause, I stall and might not make it out.

100% agree with this haha
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    my morning runs are typically 10 miles at a minimum. I don't like going to bed full, so by the time my morning wake up call happens, i'm quite hungry.

in other words, yes i eat before my morning run. but i wake up with 1.5 hours to spare so i can relax, have my hearty breakfast and coffee, let it digest, and still get in my run and not have to rush to make it to work by 8am. no, i don't sleep much. but it's very much my routine and my body seems to have acclimated to it nicely.

just finished up breakfast actually - toasted english muffin and 2 servings of PB. sipping on coffee and will head out the door in about an hour.
  • Neenmfp
    Neenmfp Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a banana for energy AND I used to suffer with swollen ankles and feet until miraculously I started eating a banana a day and as if by magic (maybe potassium!), no more swollen ankles. I also have a mug of green tea and mackerel in tomato sauce when I get back. I may find that this doesn't work so well for me later on but for now I'm a happy bunny - not snacking on carbs between breakfast and lunch because I feel full.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I don't typically have anything, all though I occasionally drink water.
  • wiserebel
    wiserebel Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For long runs (10 plus miles) I'll have a banana with honey on. Seems to work well.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing any kind of exercise first thing in the morning, I'll just have a small glass of a fruit smoothie or maybe a piece of fruit & I'm good to go. I never tend to workout on a totally empty stomach.
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    depending on how long .. if its a short run 20 mins just a tall glass of water and some sugar free gum to knaw on...
    if its a long run one hardboiled egg and half a banana chase it down w/ tall glass of water.
  • MrsSp00ns
    MrsSp00ns Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me - for a short run just water. For a longer run (anything over an hour) then a slice of toast with peanut butter and a coffee beforehand. I can't make it much past the hour point unless I've eaten beforehand. For a long run (1h45 plus) I'll also take a gel on the run.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I never go out for a run without food. If I am eating specifically for running, as you would if it is early morning, stack up on carbs and then start running at least an hour later.
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I heard that 250 calories before a workout fuels the body.
    Also have 10 g of protein within a half hour after working out is suppose to be good.
    To each their own.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Just Coffee. If I have a really big cardio session planned, maybe a banana.
  • prawny1967
    Options
    If I don't have much time then I have a banana but if I have an hour to let my food digest then I have porridge. I tried running without eating but I always ended up feeling sick and faint even over a very short time. I have lways been someone who has to eat first thing in the morning although I can then go most of the day without eating if I am busy enough.
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    It depends on the distance I'm running. If it's less than 6 miles, just my coffee and a glass of water. If 'm running farther than that I will have a piece of toast with peanut butter about an hour before I run (and coffee & water).
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Everything in the first two meals of my diary is what I eat before I do my lunch run of 5-7mi, and that's routine boredom eating. On weekends, I wake up and go on just a banana and water.