Heart Rate Monitor..

Options
This may be a completely dumb question, but give me a break I'm new at this! I've been searching on the board because I didn't want to ask a question already answered but I can't seem to find the answer I'm needing.

I know that you can plug what exercise you do in the system and it tells you what you "burned," but I like many others on here do not trust that and have been looking into a heart rate monitor.

Now to my question, how do you calculate calories burned with a heart rate monitor? Are there some that tell you, or is there some sort of formula for it? And what is the best suggestions for a HRM? I've been trying to find something cheap that goes on like a watch, the one I've been looking at is the MIO Pro Petite.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar F6- it's about $105 at ****s. It's very good and extremely easy to set up and use. You program it with your personal information and it figures what your goal heart rate range is. As you exercise it alarms if you fall below or go above your recommended heart rate. When you finish you push the button saying to stop and it gives you how long you exercised and how many calories you burned. Read the reviews on the hrm's carefully before you buy one. I read some review on the mio and wasn't impressed. There are hrm sites that sell them and give you reviews that people who bought them entered. Good luck!!
    Oh, and no, it was not a dumb question!! There is a lot of stuff on here that I have had a hard time learning- never hesitate to ask!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just got a sigma sport onyx balance for Christmas. I had to return the first one due to a syncing problem, but I used it today and am happy with it. I saw it for about $44 on amazon, but I don't know if it's still that price. I looked around some and that's about the cheapest that I found. I chose to go with one of the chest band/watch combos for accuracy.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I have Polar and I love it!
  • Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 110. It calculates it for you after the workout. Its also wears like a watch but has a chest strap for a more accurate heart rate reading. Let us know what kind you get and if you like it!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 & it tells me how many calories I burn as I burn them.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and am in love with it. You put on the watch & chest strap, press start...it calculates your HR, press start again & it begins your calorie count. When You're done, press stop (which pauses first) then stop again & it tells you how long you worked out & how many calories burned. It's simple & easy. I bought mine off amazon.com for around 85$ but it's worth every penny in my opinion.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    The Polar F-6 is really nice, but so not in our price range...I got one at Wal-Mart. The more reliable ones have a chest strap. But, that is talking Wal-Mart and not the really pricey wrist watch variety which probably work fine. If you get one it should be able to tell you calories burned. Once your heart is pumping and the chest strap gets some sweat on it, it will read really well. Turn on the timer function and mode over to calories burned with the timer still running and it will track the calories burned the whole time you work out. Hope that helps! My HRM was about $30.
  • Bryan190
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 that calculates calories, but I always plug that number into a spreadsheet that automatically subtracts out my resting calories per minute (measured with my Polar while sitting at my desk for 30 minutes), so the net burn figure I put into my log is a reasonable estimate of what I've done as a result of exercise.