Cycle anyone?

Options
Over the past week I purchased a new road bike, various equipment and am registering for a duathlon in August. Looking for any semi-serious cycle buddies for fellow motivation and support! I work out 3-6 times a week, am already a runner and now looking to add in cycling. Friends anyone? Send a request or if interested I can send you - thanks!

Replies

• ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was talked into doing the cycling leg of a team sprint triathlon which is in just over three week's time so I'm trying to train for that
    I can't afford a road bike sadly so I'll be doing it on my hybrid that I've had for years
    The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to train to do the full individual event next year (it's my 30th) - I've done a reasonable amount of swimming but I just don't run at all so that's going to have to be my next priority!
  • BChanFit
    BChanFit Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the friend request! Sounds like a cool event - you'll do great! We are the exact opposite, I would love to do a tri but my swimming is really weak - like I can barely tread water! Someday... with some practice... :)
  • SuperSammi22
    SuperSammi22 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm not an avid cycler yet, but I am building my way up to it. I would eventually like to dabble in triathlons. So feel free to add me, maybe I can hit you up for advice or tips.
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Awesome! Added!
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Bump - anyone? :)
  • ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Didn't intend to - but ended up buying a cheap road bike on Tuesday. Only taken it out for a couple of rides so far but I'm loving it!
    Just hope the weather stays good over the weekend so I can get out and really test it properly!
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I do, but it's actually my weakest and least favorite part of the triathlon. I'm much more of a runner. However, I had ankle surgery recently, so it looks like I'm going to be doing more swimming and riding, and less running this year. Did my first outside ride yesterday - 10 miles - it was tough on the ankle. I'm hoping to be able to do a sprint tri in August or September, but the running is a huge question at this point.
  • Jason3589
    Jason3589 Posts: 734
    Options
    As part of my job l am a response cyclist. Keeps me fit and get paid at the same time x
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    There's also a group here you can have a look:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/361-bicycling-road-and-mountain
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I was talked into doing the cycling leg of a team sprint triathlon which is in just over three week's time so I'm trying to train for that
    I can't afford a road bike sadly so I'll be doing it on my hybrid that I've had for years
    The more I think about it, the more tempted I am to train to do the full individual event next year (it's my 30th) - I've done a reasonable amount of swimming but I just don't run at all so that's going to have to be my next priority!

I did my first sprint on a hybrid. It's totally doable. Once you've done one you will know whether you like it enough to invest in a new bike. Most people find after the first one that they are pretty addictive :bigsmile: If you can swim and bike, you should definitely consider doing the whole thing yourself next time. The run is probably the easiest part to train for - no special skills or equipment required.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am an avid cyclist. It is my favorite sport! I do road and moutain. I have toyed with doing a duathlon because I love to do ride and run brick workouts with my fiance. He is currently training for his third ironman. I started riding to keep fit and fell in love with it.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Add me. I"m a type2 diabetic who started cycling last July. I'm up to 2030 miles so far. My goal is to get to 2400 by July 15th. I am doing a 100k ride on Sunday and then the Tour de Cure for diabetes on May 10th...another 100k ride.
  • Smokey705
    Smokey705 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yeah I cycle everyday as part of my fitness routine, I usually do at a least a hour everyday. Add me as friend if you want I am not sure how to add friends.
  • katesky25
    Options
    I love cycling and started spin classes last fall when I purchased my mountain bike. I recently left my job due to overnights and schedule changes which dampened my ability to stay fit and happy.

I now, in the past month, have been bringing my old self back - training for a duathlon. Started using MFP again 3 days ago!

I recently found out how much I enjoy the road riding in addition to the trails and mountains so I will be purchasing a road bike and competing.

Avid runner...love running...aiming for a strong marathon run!

Would love to friends with anyone with a love for cycling or running!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Sending you a FR. I used to ride a lot but haven't been on my bike much in the last few years. This year I want to ride more. Last weekend I went in for a bike fitting and one small change made it so much more comfortable and easier to maintain good form! I've been really focused on running in the past year (did a half 2 weeks ago).
  • BChanFit
    Options
    Thanks for the link Catneon!

So cool to meet up with so many new faces. I'm still just learning how to ride with the clipless pedals (have fallen twice now with plenty of bruises). Went to a bike maintenance class last night and learned some of the basics - how to change a tire, lube the chain etc. Also watching a lot of youtube videos. Nothing really helps as much as getting out there though. I still feel super uncoordinated. Was raining here in MN the last couple days but want to get out there again today after work.
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I cycle to the gym and back. I have a hybrid road/mtn bike that has 700x18 wheels so its more effecient than a mtn bike but not as effecient as a road bike. Im working my way up to a road bike. I use mapmyride to track all my rides. Ive done 200 miles in the last year compared to 0 in the last 10 years : )
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    Not one of mine.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I've been getting into cycling lately. I started going to spinning classes in January and I go regularly. I just bought myself some cycling shoes with SPD clips and it makes such a huge difference! I'm obsessed! I have a hybrid bike that I tool around the neighborhood with but have never really done long distances with. I think this weekend my bf and I are going to buy a bike rack for the car so we can take our bikes out to some rail trails. :)

I'm focusing on running lately since I signed up for my first 10K which is a month away. I've always been a 5K girl but it's time to step it up!
  • fitandfortyish
    fitandfortyish Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have recently started biking, needed to change up my cardio routine, and I love it!! I ride to work (road bike) and live 45 mins from the Rocky Mountains where there are a ton of mountain trails. I'm using mapmyride to track my workouts...so its been quite fun.

I would love more cycling buddies so please send me a FR--we could do some impromptu challenges over the summer