PLEASE HELP ME! :( MAJOR BINGE

Options
So after long periods of restricting this past week I gave in a binged a few times...going over maintenance once or twice by 200 cals. Then today I blew it and went over by 600 cals. If I stay under the rest of the week can I not gain any weight from this?

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So after long periods of restricting this past week I gave in a binged a few times...going over maintenance once or twice by 200 cals. Then today I blew it and went over by 600 cals. If I stay under the rest of the week can I not gain any weight from this?

Um that's normal. Just go back to your normal deficit and you will be fine. 200 or 600 calories is not a huge binge. So to answer your question yes you are fine. If you really want to try to play make-up then just go for an hour walk, that would about do it.

200 calories is like an orange and a banana, I think people who actually binge might find this post a little insulting :-)
  • WanderingPomme
    WanderingPomme Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    200 calories is like an orange and a banana, I think people who actually binge might find this post a little insulting :-)

LOL

Well if it makes you feel any better, I was 4,500 calories over the other day. Now THAT'S a binge. It was bad. What's worse is that it wasn't my worst binge. Life goes on. Just worked out really hard, I had so much energy the next day and the day after that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Deja vu? :huh:
  • bunnerfly
    bunnerfly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Haha, back in the day, my binges consisted of entire packs of Oreos chased with milk, half a loaf of toasted bread, and literally eating til I puked.

What you describe isn't really a binge, you just ate a little above your goal. I did the same thing today. I am 200 calories over, and had I not worked out, it would've been over 600.

The problem isn't with food, it's with your mindset about food. It's nothing to fear, just a way to fuel your body
  • SarahVibe
    Options
    No worries, my friend. You will get back on track just fine. Some of these replies are a bit extreme.

I think that going over your calorie goal by a little bit is okay, it just needs to be good calories. If you go over by 600 calories because you are eating a ton of veggies or low sodium soup or lean meats, then go on a little walk, cleanse with some water, and put your mind at ease because fat and carbs are the big scary wolf here. You should consider the other ingredients, not only the calories.

Now, if you did eat a ton of carbs/fats/sugars, still relax, hit the gym, drink water, and cut yourself some slack. The best way to fall off the wagon is stress. Breathe, relax, do whatever it is that will make YOU feel better about going over. If that is exercising, then hit the gym or some trails. Either way, this will be a distant memory in a couple of days and you will be right back to where you were.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. 200-600 calories over isn't a "binge". Just be more mindful next time. A few hundred extra calories may slow down your loss a little, but by no means will it ruin everything. Don't worry!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    From what you said on one of the duplicate posts.....you are in recovery.

Stop posting about your binge and go talk to your counselor.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    IMO this is not a major binge. A major binge is when your eat double your calorie goal in one sitting. Like eating an entire box of Cocoa Puffs, followed by half an bag of potato chips chased with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Don't beat yourself up over 600 calories. As long as you are not eating 600 calories over your goal on a daily basis, it probably won't have any effect on you whatsoever. Exercise and eat better tomorrow and call it a wash.
  • NOMORECARS
    NOMORECARS Posts: 156
    Options
    So after long periods of restricting this past week I gave in a binged a few times...

Anytime you restrict your food intake you accomplish nothing except guaranteed failure. The reason we are fat overeaters in the first place is that we have restricted our intake of nutrients and chosen to eat instead what is "YUMMY". Obesity is caused by malnutrition; we eat lots but garbage does not give our body any nutrients and our body keeps asking for more food. But we give it more garbage instead of food which perpetuates the neverending cycle. If we eat the food which our body needs, it will stop asking for more and eventually our weight will stabilize and we will be a whole lot healthier. A good starting point is to eat as much food as you want but do not consume anything which contains refined sugar or flour. Before sugar and flour were invented, obesity as we know it did not exist. As your health improves you can stop eating anything you can't pronounce and eventually you will achieve health and fitness beyond your wildest dreams. MFP is an excellent program which, if used properly, will tell you what to eat and how much to eat. Just cut out refined sugar and flour; this means never even go into a bakery; there is nothing there that you need. GOOD LUCK
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

yup.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Major binge??????????

That's not a binge, You've just gone over your calories a bit more recently... Feeling a bit more hungrier.

Either workout more to compensate, or eat less the next day... .Simple!!!

: )
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options

100%
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You need to stop. Not stop binging, but stop making these threads. You know you have a problem. You know what you need to do I don't know what you expect to happen that's new, when you make a new thread, but you just need to stop. You're triggering yourself.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

600 cals - don't sweat it.

Do a bit of extra exercise or eat a little bit less tomorrow. Simpels
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and what I would consider a binge is more than the extra calories you consumed. But to you, a couple of hundred extra may seem like a binge... Don't worry about it. Like others have said, do an extra workout or just get back on track and drink a lot of water to flush it out. In a day or two you'll be back to normal. I actually go over my calorie target at least once a week, sometimes with all healthy foods, sometimes not. Just the other day I had a good old fashioned carb binge. I wouldn't call it a binge as I was a couple of hundred over but... I did it on purpose to give my body the extra fuel it needed and to keep the fire burning. I flushed it out the next day, worked it off and feel awesome as a result. Even hit my goal weight today! Read up on calorie and/or carb cycling, it might be for you, or maybe not. Just don't worry about it and keep moving forward.
  • shellydd
    shellydd Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Where's the love?
  • kirili3
    kirili3 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Well if it makes you feel any better, I was 4,500 calories over the other day. Now THAT'S a binge. It was bad. What's worse is that it wasn't my worst binge. Life goes on. Just worked out really hard, I had so much energy the next day and the day after that.

I'll take that one binge and raise you a week of eating 1,500 or more over goal. (it's bizarre! last week, barely wanted 1,200, this week I seem to be determined to gain ten pounds.)

I've probably gotten too relaxed, myself. The shame has gone out of those red numbers.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    That's a cupcake, don't worry about it, you can't even gain a half of a pound of fat from that.