Pain in foot from running

Options
So i went on a short run last night, nothing too fast, a couple of hills but generally pretty steady. At the end (about 3 miles in) I got a horrible pain in my foot. It was very difficult to walk on, felt like really bad cramp along the outside of my foot, but it didnt settle down for an hour or so. I havent done a lot of walking since, the pain has reduced significantly since but i can still feel the tightness in my foot that wasn't there before

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm thinking it might be some kind of bad cramp from ill-fitting running shoes? They're good quality but maybe the cushion isn't in the right place. I'm very concerned it could be tendonitis but hopefully that is an overreaction? I do run a few times a week but nothing serious or long distance. I'm doing a 10k race in 4 weeks though so i really dont want to miss out on my training!

Thanks!

Replies

• prawny1967
    Options
    My husband statrted suffering pain in his foot. It seemed like a tightness and then settles in to a pressure pain on the inside of his heel. He has had a diagnosis of Plantar Faciitis. It looks like a real problem with running and the recovery looks long too. The quicker it is treated the better. Google it and see if it matches your symptoms.
  • bekamullin
    bekamullin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I will have a look now :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I had this last week. It happened after my first outdoor, non-treadmill run and I can only speculate that it was from hitting uneven ground. It took a week to go away.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I was thinking Planter Faciitis as well. A nice home treatment: freeze a 20oz bottle of water and roll your foot over it several times a day. It will stretch your arch and reduce the inflamation. Good luck to you!!
  • katesky25
    Options
    It's highly likely Planter Faciitis. I would consult with a podiatrist to treat it as soon as possible as it can be a real pain (no pun intended) and takes quite some time to heal. I have found with a proper running shoe this should not occur. I would encourage you to check out a local running store for evaluation and advice on some running shoes that would be suited for you activity, weight, and foot pronation type.

I went to road runner sports as they have a 90 day return policy on their shoes. You can run in them as much as you would like and if they do not work, simply return them in any condition. I had arch pain when I was given an orthotic and tied my laces too tight. Now with the orthotic out of the shoe and a less tension on my laces I have had no pain. Seems the shoes themselves are designed for the support, or lack thereof, and inserting orthotics disrupts the whole mechanics from my experience.

I currently run in the Asics Gel. I run in the GT 2000 and the Nimbus alternating days to prevent muscle fatigue and improve my performance. I am in LOVE with these shoes. No longer any pains anywhere. My boyfriend runs in these too and they have resolved his back pain.

Don't forget to track your miles in your shoes...they wear fast and you can start getting injuries from that alone.

Currently training for my first Marathon!!!

I wish you the best with your feet, heal fast!
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's highly likely Planter Faciitis. I would consult with a podiatrist to treat it as soon as possible as it can be a real pain (no pun intended) and takes quite some time to heal. I have found with a proper running shoe this should not occur. I would encourage you to check out a local running store for evaluation and advice on some running shoes that would be suited for you activity, weight, and foot pronation type.

I went to road runner sports as they have a 90 day return policy on their shoes. You can run in them as much as you would like and if they do not work, simply return them in any condition. I had arch pain when I was given an orthotic and tied my laces too tight. Now with the orthotic out of the shoe and a less tension on my laces I have had no pain. Seems the shoes themselves are designed for the support, or lack thereof, and inserting orthotics disrupts the whole mechanics from my experience.

I currently run in the Asics Gel. I run in the GT 2000 and the Nimbus alternating days to prevent muscle fatigue and improve my performance. I am in LOVE with these shoes. No longer any pains anywhere. My boyfriend runs in these too and they have resolved his back pain.

Don't forget to track your miles in your shoes...they wear fast and you can start getting injuries from that alone.

Currently training for my first Marathon!!!

I wish you the best with your feet, heal fast!
    I totally agree wit Road Runner sports!! I got a pair from there, I got shin splints on one of my runs (maybe 70 days after using them daily), I got a new pair no questions asked. It's like leasing new shoes. :)
  • bekamullin
    bekamullin Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    All really helpful thank you :) I tend to run on treadmills and i've only just started running outside again after 2 years or so so im pretty sure the different ground has something to do with it! I've had my trainers forever but i just dont want to spend another 100 quid on a new pair!