Water Retention Question

Options
ashkmelater
ashkmelater Posts: 15 Member
I'm not new to working out having previously been in the Army. I am however new to working out at 200lbs. A little info; I started running 2-3 miles 4-5 times a week for the past 3 weeks. I have started weight training as of yesterday because I have gained 4lbs since I started going I the gym. I probably drink 10-12 bottles of water a day. I'm guessing part of this 4 lbs is water weight. I feel like I'm retaining water like the Hoover dam. Is it okay to take a diuretic on my off days? I feel like a balooga whale..

Replies

• dwbotti
    dwbotti Posts: 29
    Options
    While it is possible, given your water consumption, to have held onto some, it's unlikely that's the only reason for the 4 lbs. If one goes by the formula of 1/2 ounce per lb of body weight, you're consumption is actually slightly low (assuming your number is 200 lbs as mentioned.) There needs to be some additional information about what your total calories in, total calories out, and types of calories in the macro are to be able to effectively judge what could be going on.

I am not a fan of diuretics as dehydrating the body can create connective tissue issues, joint pains, and generally create a false sense of what one's weight truly is. Sure, you can take them on your off days, but to what end?
  • ashkmelater
    Options
    I average about 1500 cals in/ day. Average out is around 300-400. I'm always a little high in carbs and low in protein on the macro nutrients. I have started using a protein powder. It just seems crazy that I've gained 4 lbs an no, I haven't lost inches either. I'm not eating unhealthy, but not as clean as I would like due to present living arrangements.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm on a water pill for my blood pressure and I still held onto a lot of water when I started exercising again. If that didn't touch my water retention, I doubt an OTC diuretic would do much for you in this case either. Honestly, my best advice is to let your body work things out. It's doing what it's supposed to.
  • ashkmelater
    Options
    Well hopefully it will. It's so discouraging to see the needle going the wrong way.
    Thank y'all for the advice!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your salt intake is higher than you might like? This could cause you to hold water.
  • ashkmelater
    Options
    While it is possible, given your water consumption, to have held onto some, it's unlikely that's the only reason for the 4 lbs. If one goes by the formula of 1/2 ounce per lb of body weight, you're consumption is actually slightly low (assuming your number is 200 lbs as mentioned.) There needs to be some additional information about what your total calories in, total calories out, and types of calories in the macro are to be able to effectively judge what could be going on.

I am not a fan of diuretics as dehydrating the body can create connective tissue issues, joint pains, and generally create a false sense of what one's weight truly is. Sure, you can take them on your off days, but to what end?

If I'm supposed to drink 1/2 ounce per lb, that would put me at 100oz/day. Drinking 16.9 ounce bottles, that's almost 6 bottles. I drink way more than that. Am I misinterpreting that? I just want to make sure I understand.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    There's no need to take a diuretic. Just keep drinking plenty of water and be patient. As long as you're eating within your calorie goal, you know it's water weight so you just can't let it bother you...
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I have read on different topics on here that if you are relatively new to working out (even after a long long break) you do hold on to water and it should last a few weeks, I am going through that now where I have been exercising 4-5 times a week, measuring my food with a scale and drinking water like I should and I haven't lost a thing, have been fluctuating between 176 and 178 for 2 weeks now. I feel your pain I hate the feeling of being bloated,especially when I bloat after a good workout. Good luck!
  • ashkmelater
    Options
    I wonder if your salt intake is higher than you might like? This could cause you to hold water.

It's been pretty close to the recommended intake. Maybe my body doesn't handle it as well as others. I may address this for a couple days and see if that gets things moving. Good observation. I always try to over complicate stuff. :embarassed:
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options

If I'm supposed to drink 1/2 ounce per lb, that would put me at 100oz/day. Drinking 16.9 ounce bottles, that's almost 6 bottles. I drink way more than that. Am I misinterpreting that? I just want to make sure I understand.

Ok well I have recently found on on here that it is possible to overhydrate yourself which isn't good, basically you want your )now this mind sound gross) pee to be a pale yellow...if it's clear you are overhydrated and if it's dark you are either dehydrated or something else is going on. I personally didn't know that if it was clear you are overhydrated until yesterday. Oh and the other thing is that you basically check the color every 2-4 hours to make sure you are staying hydrated throughout the day..again learned yesterday. Hope this helps somewhat I know it didn't answer your question though lol I had read that you take your weight divide by 2 and that's what you should be drinking in ounces, so take me I weigh 176 / 2 and that's 88 oz a day for me
  • ashkmelater
    Options
    I have read on different topics on here that if you are relatively new to working out (even after a long long break) you do hold on to water and it should last a few weeks, I am going through that now where I have been exercising 4-5 times a week, measuring my food with a scale and drinking water like I should and I haven't lost a thing, have been fluctuating between 176 and 178 for 2 weeks now. I feel your pain I hate the feeling of being bloated,especially when I bloat after a good workout. Good luck!

Thank you. Good to know I'm not alone here! It's such a PITA lol. I will just keep truckin along. Seeing everyone's weight loss is amazing!
  • ashkmelater
    Options

Ok well I have recently found on on here that it is possible to overhydrate yourself which isn't good, basically you want your )now this mind sound gross) pee to be a pale yellow...if it's clear you are overhydrated and if it's dark you are either dehydrated or something else is going on. I personally didn't know that if it was clear you are overhydrated until yesterday. Oh and the other thing is that you basically check the color every 2-4 hours to make sure you are staying hydrated throughout the day..again learned yesterday. Hope this helps somewhat I know it didn't answer your question though lol I had read that you take your weight divide by 2 and that's what you should be drinking in ounces, so take me I weigh 176 / 2 and that's 88 oz a day for me

I've never heard that you could over hydrate. Maybe the Army ruined me because it was hydrate hydrate hydrate!! I will play with intake for a couple days. I feel like my head is going to explode wih everything I'm learning...lots to know! Thanks again for the responses :)
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?