jumping rope?

Options
Hey guys! So, I'm new here and well, new to everything.

Its been crazy outside and I'm the type of person to get sick easily so I was trying to find ways to exercise at home! I thought jumping rope would be a good idea... maybe?

There is no clear question. I'm just asking on your opinion of jump rope

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Jumping rope definitely can get your heart rate.

Trying doing a High Intensity Interval Training workout with it.

Go as fast as you can for 20 seconds, go slower for 40. Repeat. Or pick a time that works best for you since you are starting out.

If you are logging exercise, It would be good to get a Heart Rate Monitor as jumping rope's intensity level will vary a lot on how long and how much effort you are putting into it.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    big fan of jumping rope. do it to music and its almost like dancing
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I picked up a speed rope a couple of months ago to incorporate with my workouts. It has 5lb weighted handles. I usually do about 15 minutes worth at the end of my workouts and surprisingly, I've become pretty good. Even my kids are impressed. according to mfp, you can burn 200 or so calories in 15 minutes at a moderate pace. I think that is a little over estimated but, still. it's something to get the heart rate up and burn some more calories.
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There are so many variations to jumping rope, you can get an awesome workout! I don't use a full rope, I use weighted handles, and then I can alter my arm position to get a good shoulder workout, high knees, kick backs, double unders, reverse skip, etc. etc. If you enjoy it Do it!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is awesome cardio!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    if you wear a HRM and don't mess up too much it should be a pretty accurate reading. i have three different ropes. on is basically a coated steel cable, its probably best for doing double unders (which i suck at) but not the greatest for little tricks IMO as its pretty ridged.

the other are rubber ropes. one being quite thick and takes a considerable larger amount of effort to swing around. i've never tried weighted handles but the heavier rope makes it considerably harder on the wrist/arms/shoulders. I mean, the movement is mostly in the wrist, but the faster you go or longer you go the more you'll feel it in the shoulders even if your doing it right.

I got started on it because it was in the Asylum DVDs and i could barely do it. wanted to change that.

Its kind of addicting and you might surprise yourself at how fast you progress. there are jump rope dvd workouts out there you could try.

the biggest thing i like about it is the fact that you really are training your brain at the same time. its not just do more reps or do it faster, your training to be more coordinated and its nice to have a new/different dimension in your fitness routine. your building athletecism not just fitness.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Jumping rope definitely can get your heart rate.

Trying doing a High Intensity Interval Training workout with it.

Go as fast as you can for 20 seconds, go slower for 40. Repeat. Or pick a time that works best for you since you are starting out.

If you are logging exercise, It would be good to get a Heart Rate Monitor as jumping rope's intensity level will vary a lot on how long and how much effort you are putting into it.

^^ this.
    i like to do HIIT with it. 30 seconds fast, 30 seconds slow.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I have been rehabing a wonky knee, so my brisk walking has slowed down in both pace and distance. I'm really missing those high calorie burns and am looking for something else to do for added burn.

Is rope jumping considered "high impact"? I plan to jump in the yard as opposed to a paved or cement/concrete surface.

thanks!
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    it might technically be considered high impact, but if your doing it right it is very smooth and way eaiser on the joints then running.

most of the impact is going to be in your feet/ankles. it shouldn't be to bad on a knee but give it a try and you would probably know after one workout
  • buttondown
    Options
    I've been wanting to get a rope to add so i can add jumping rope to my exercise routine. But i have a question how do you know what length of jump rope to get? I'm short (5'2'') and every rope i've bought in the past that was supposed to be a standard size has been too long for me.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    get an 'adjustable' one. usually what that means is they give you a rediculously long rope, and you have to trim it.

there will be some means of attaching the rope to the handle that you cinch up and then cut off the excess.

to get the rope the right length, you step on the mid point of the rope with one foot, and you want to adjust the rope length so that the handles come up to just under your arm pits

this is really just a rule of thumb though, as you get better you will realize you might have a preference for a tiny bit longer or shorter (so leave a little slack at the end when you trim to fine tune later).

typically the better you get the more you will tolerate/desire a shorter rope. mine barely touches the floor and often doesn't