Options

Replies

• asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    congrats for the wedding

sugar no sugar? - I wouldn't but it's your choice

for the weight loss your best chance lies in being accurate
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I know you have a deadline, but please don't stress the date too much, think about this weighloss as being for your married life rather than your wedding day, which you need to enjoy even if your weight loss slows (which is normal)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar that's easy. Just stop eating foods with ADDED sugars in them. That will include lots of processed foods. It's easy to do though and it's a great start. Added sugars are not healthy anyway.

I see many comments on here about people being concerned with cutting out sugar. Sugar is NOT a required nutrient.

There are lots of things you can and should eat. Meats, fish, seafood, veggies, fats, and even grains if you like them. I don't eat sugar or grains and I never have a problem finding something to eat. It's called actual food that does not come from a bag or a box.

Good luck on going sugar free and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Doesn't get much more hypocritical than this...

Apart for that one statement what's hypocritical - or is it just that one statement?
    Food diary for Thursday 24th - 57g of sugar.
    And yes I know the distinction she is trying to make between added sugar which is what I think she means. With the amount of fruit she consumes there's not much need to add any more sugar to feed her sweet tooth.
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Thank you! I am really excited but wanting to lose that much weight in 3 months, I feel like it's impossible & thank you for your advice! I think you are right! It's too hard as it is trying to avoid sugar all together & i don't feel like I am getting enough food. Thanks for the support
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Everyones opinion will vary but personally im against no sugar diets it isnt logical eat
    processed sugar works well .. second studies have shown that sugars in fruits metabolizes differently than processed sugar
    and eating a generous amount of fruit isnt a bad thing.
    You need to eat everything .. fats carbs some sugars protein
    if you need to fill up slap some avocado on a sandwhich make sure you are using whole grain bread
    Keep your body fueled ... lots of controversy between how often you need to eat
    I eat when im hungry usually every 3 hours or so and my largest meal is usually breakfast lunch or both
    Dinner is always well usually smaller portion ... I eat anywhere from 1600-2300 cal a day depends how much exercise I have had

I make my own fruit sauce
    2 cups fresh/ frozen berries usually
    1-2 tbsp honey ( honey has a number of health benefits but still needs moderation )
    1/4 cup water
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tbsp corn starch

Boil the first 4 ingredients until it is like a chunky soup than stir the corndtarch in too 1/2 cup cold water and pour into the fruit mix until he you have desired consistency

I use this for everything makes a good alternative to syrup as well

My favorite is to buy plain greek yogurt (I only use liberte)
    Cut up pineapple 1/2 greek yogurt and top with 1/4 cup of the fruit sauce
    it makes a very sweet snack / desert/ breakfast and for me it gets rid of that craving

Thank you so much! Will have to try that recipe! Sounds amazing! I have never tried avacados but have been wondering about them! What do they taste like?
  • myfitnesspalCynthia
    Options
    Add in some protein and you will feel fuller, longer.
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Great advice from smushy and martinel! Another tip. Since your goal is time critical you will want to be as accurate as you can with food tracking. Invest in a food scale with the tare function and weigh and log everything you eat, even your coffee creamer!

If you do decide after all to cut all sugar, don't mind the sugar readings on MFP because these include fruits, veggies and dairy. Beans and legumes are a nice source of protein, as well as lean meats and poultry which have no sugar.

Also keep in mind if you are going to do cardio on cardio machines, they tend to over-estimate the calories burned by as much as twice! Invest in a heart rate monitor and eat half your workout calories back, just to be safe. Strength training will also give you some nice shapes in your wedding dress ;)

Congratulations and good luck!

Thank you! Also I do have a question is the food scale you're talking about the one that's on here or basically just measuring everything I eat? Do you also think I should invest in one of those.... i don't know what they are called but you measure your waist with them lol. I am going to start running on my lunch so i will be working out 5 days a week. Will that be enough?
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Agave syrup is a good sugar alternative, very sweet so u dont need much but its low GI so keeps your blood sugar levels more stable, meaning less liklihood of the cravings/energy slumps u get after sugar. I dunno about a sugar free diet, but this is a natural source of sweetness u could maybe add as an alternative to sugar?

I have never even heard of that! thank you! I love this idea! It's been really hard, I have had horrible headaches & find myself craving soda so I think this would be just what I need
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. I am getting married in a few months & am trying to lose at least 25 pounds by then! I started the no sugar diet yesterday & am now on day two. All I have tried eating so far is vegetables & fruit which I am trying not to eat so much because of the sugar in them but I thought since it was natural fruit it would be ok. I am stuck on what else I can eat. If anyone has any food suggestions or recipes that would be great!

Sorry Michelle,

You have used the phrase NO SUGAR and then gone on to use the word fruit - this thread could go down hill quickly.

If it does, do not take it personally, some of the members are still learning how to communicate properly with society (they mean well).

I'm not too up on the no sugar diet, but I take it protein and fat are allowed. Maybe take a look at one of the Low Carb High Fat groups, there are normally some good recipes on there.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding.

I know that fruit has sugar but I am only eating it for breakfast & that's it. I am not eating very much. Is natural sugar the same as table sugar? Yes protein & fat are allowed! That's a good idea thank you
  • michelle6673
    Options
    It is possible to decrease the total sugar in your diet, but what matters for weight loss is the calorie deficit, whether you choose to use table sugar or not. Agave, honey, fruit - these are all sources of sugar (btw, table sugar is as natural a sugar as any). By all means, eat fruit, as you it has excellent nutrients. The GI index has been pretty much debunked. What is important is that you meet your macros, and stay in a deficit, but not too aggressive of one so that you can maximize fat loss and minimize lean body mass loss.

Good luck!

Oh ok so agave is still sugar :( I won't be able to try that then. Would u have any advice for me as far as being able to eat something sweet besides fruit without the sugar? Thank u for the advice
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Congrats on the wedding!!

:flowerforyou:

Thank u
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to try to eat "no sugar"... just reducing your intake will do wonders for your waistline. I was getting somewhere around 100g of sugar/day before I started really watching my intake. Now, I set my goal for 50g/day and try very hard to stick with it. They say you shouldn't get more than 30g of ADDED sugar/day. So.... as long as of my 50g... 30g or less of it is added... I'm pretty happy with that... and I think it has done wonders to help my overall health and help me start losing again.

Good luck!
  • michelle6673
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar that's easy. Just stop eating foods with ADDED sugars in them. That will include lots of processed foods. It's easy to do though and it's a great start. Added sugars are not healthy anyway.

I see many comments on here about people being concerned with cutting out sugar. Sugar is NOT a required nutrient.

There are lots of things you can and should eat. Meats, fish, seafood, veggies, fats, and even grains if you like them. I don't eat sugar or grains and I never have a problem finding something to eat. It's called actual food that does not come from a bag or a box.

Good luck on going sugar free and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

Thank you! I feel like I am the only one trying to do this! It's nice to have support. I don't think i have been including enough meat in my diet & i bought some salmon but am really afraid to try it, I love cooked shrimp but don't really know how to prepare salmon. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!
  • Tanukiko
    Tanukiko Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I"m in the same boat as you (getting married in August this year). Trying to lose some fat so my gorgeous dress zips.

I think your approach of limiting sugar is a good one. Plenty of research (old and new) shows that sugar leads to insulin spikes which promotes fat storage and discourages fat release in the body.

Personally I'm doing a Ketogenic diet to reach my goal. Started 2.5 weeks ago. 12 lbs (7 lbs of body fat) down...20 more to go.

Good luck on your journey and remember...you fiance will think you're gorgeous no matter what :)
  • michelle6673
    Options
    I did this for a month: February 20, 2014- March 25, 2014. While I was strict with no added sugars/desserts, I still ate a lot of fruits. Also, my salad dressing had like 4g of total sugars but it was the best choice out there for me. The sugar will not hurt your diet as long as you are in a deficit. It was super hard at first, I had headaches after day 3-5. But then I started to feel great. I do not snack mindlessly at work anymore and I have more energy. I always had the 2 o'clock slump and would eat loads of sugar and snacks. I lost about 7 pounds that first month. I am now eating sugar; it is unrealistic to stay away from sugar and desserts :) It made me realize that moderation is key with sugar. Make sure to eat plenty of proteins and healthy fats, also do not starve yourself. This was the first time in years where I actually was full on a diet and still lost weight steadily. Good luck!
    Yea it is really hard to stay away from sugar since everything has sugar in it. But i think it's worth a try. I will have a "cheat" day though once a week & allow myself something with sugar in it but won't let myself overindulge but for now I am just trying to see how much I will lose in a week! It's going good so far lost 1 pound already & I'm on day 3. I do feel like I am starving myself though because I just eat a banana for breakfast, veggies for lunch & whatever I can find for supper. It's really hard to make stuff druing the week because I work all day & just wanna come home & spend time with my family. But I need to start making things the night before so I have lunch the next day. Thank you for your advice & I am glad i am not the only one who has tried this lol
  • tmyers968
    tmyers968 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thank you so much! Will have to try that recipe! Sounds amazing! I have never tried avacados but have been wondering about them! What do they taste like?

Avocados~ Creamy, buttery wonderful goodness!! I eat mine with a little salt and pepper, in a salad or to add creaminess to a smoothie!

Congrats on your wedding! Lots of great advice here. Welcome to MFP! I am new as well and it has changed my life! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Great advice from smushy and martinel! Another tip. Since your goal is time critical you will want to be as accurate as you can with food tracking. Invest in a food scale with the tare function and weigh and log everything you eat, even your coffee creamer!

If you do decide after all to cut all sugar, don't mind the sugar readings on MFP because these include fruits, veggies and dairy. Beans and legumes are a nice source of protein, as well as lean meats and poultry which have no sugar.

Also keep in mind if you are going to do cardio on cardio machines, they tend to over-estimate the calories burned by as much as twice! Invest in a heart rate monitor and eat half your workout calories back, just to be safe. Strength training will also give you some nice shapes in your wedding dress ;)

Congratulations and good luck!

Thank you! Also I do have a question is the food scale you're talking about the one that's on here or basically just measuring everything I eat? Do you also think I should invest in one of those.... i don't know what they are called but you measure your waist with them lol. I am going to start running on my lunch so i will be working out 5 days a week. Will that be enough?

I meant a scale to measure your food then enter the food and its measurement. Example: you ate an apple that weighs 180 gram - you come to the website or use the phone app, go to food, then search for "apple" then enter its weight as 180 gram (if you use grams be careful, most things that are measured in grams here come at a base of 100 gram, so for this example you would enter 1.8 and choose 100 grams for the measurement).

Try to find a digital scale, one with the tare function. It will make things easier for you. What this function does is that you don't need to subtract the weight of the plate when you measure. You just put the plate on the scale, press the tare button and the reading becomes 0, then put your food on the plate to know how much it weighs.

You can buy a measuring tape if you want too (that's what it's called :flowerforyou: ), it helps measuring yourself once every 2-4 weeks because sometimes your weight is not stable and you may feel discouraged if you don't lose anything for the week but it may be just that your body is storing more water than usual, so you don't see your loss.

Running is great for burning calories!! But if you have time, try to also do some weight lifting or strength training. When you lose your weight you may lose some of the muscle. Strength training makes the muscle loss slower so your arms don't look like noodles on your wedding day.
  • michelle6673
    Options
    If you're on the no sugar diet, then there should be guidelines as to what to eat and not eat in that diet plan? There is sugar in almost everything, and a lot in fruit. Sugar is sugar, the difference between the sugar in candy and fruit is minimal, but the fruit also contains water and nutrients and fiber. What to eat? What do you normally eat? 25 pounds in 100 days is quite aggressive as you're already in a healthy range(?), but you can do it, just make sure you have a constant deficiency, I think around 770 calories per day below maintenance is what you need! And congrats on getting married!

well there are some foods out there i have found that have no sugar but aren't the best options. the popcorn i buy has no sugar so i can enjoy that once in awhile & i know cheese doesn't have any sugar. I am think about making salads for my lunch for work & adding chicken to it & then just squirting lemon on it because i think all salad dressings have sugar but not sure about that. Normally before this diet I was eating cookies everyday, whatever i could get my hands on that had sugar. I noticed i am more tired through out the day & never have energy when i get home. Right now I am eating a banana for breakfast, veggies for lunch & veggies for supper. But I am already bored with those things & it's only day 3! I want to try this for a week to see how much weight I can lose in a week & have already lost 1 pound so far. Sugar has always been a big part of my daily routine & wanna break the habit. Thank you!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. I am getting married in a few months & am trying to lose at least 25 pounds by then! I started the no sugar diet yesterday & am now on day two. All I have tried eating so far is vegetables & fruit which I am trying not to eat so much because of the sugar in them but I thought since it was natural fruit it would be ok. I am stuck on what else I can eat. If anyone has any food suggestions or recipes that would be great!

Sorry Michelle,

You have used the phrase NO SUGAR and then gone on to use the word fruit - this thread could go down hill quickly.

If it does, do not take it personally, some of the members are still learning how to communicate properly with society (they mean well).

I'm not too up on the no sugar diet, but I take it protein and fat are allowed. Maybe take a look at one of the Low Carb High Fat groups, there are normally some good recipes on there.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding.

Sounds like what I was about to say. It sounds like you're looking for "Ketogenic" dieting, or like TennisDude said, high-fat, low-carb. They are both essentially no sugar, except in very small amounts.

Good luck meeting your goals for the wedding!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    If you're on the no sugar diet, then there should be guidelines as to what to eat and not eat in that diet plan? There is sugar in almost everything, and a lot in fruit. Sugar is sugar, the difference between the sugar in candy and fruit is minimal, but the fruit also contains water and nutrients and fiber. What to eat? What do you normally eat? 25 pounds in 100 days is quite aggressive as you're already in a healthy range(?), but you can do it, just make sure you have a constant deficiency, I think around 770 calories per day below maintenance is what you need! And congrats on getting married!

well there are some foods out there i have found that have no sugar but aren't the best options. the popcorn i buy has no sugar so i can enjoy that once in awhile & i know cheese doesn't have any sugar. I am think about making salads for my lunch for work & adding chicken to it & then just squirting lemon on it because i think all salad dressings have sugar but not sure about that. Normally before this diet I was eating cookies everyday, whatever i could get my hands on that had sugar. I noticed i am more tired through out the day & never have energy when i get home. Right now I am eating a banana for breakfast, veggies for lunch & veggies for supper. But I am already bored with those things & it's only day 3! I want to try this for a week to see how much weight I can lose in a week & have already lost 1 pound so far. Sugar has always been a big part of my daily routine & wanna break the habit. Thank you!

It really sounds like you're making it up as you go. Eating popcorn is going to sabotage your "no sugar" diet.

Look up Keto groups on FB, or http://www.ruled.me/
  • michelle6673
    Options
    congrats for the wedding

sugar no sugar? - I wouldn't but it's your choice

for the weight loss your best chance lies in being accurate
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

I know you have a deadline, but please don't stress the date too much, think about this weighloss as being for your married life rather than your wedding day, which you need to enjoy even if your weight loss slows (which is normal)

Thank you! I do wanna make this change for my married life because I will have more energy not just for me but for my family. At least after the wedding I think i will go to eating a moderation of what has sugar in it but not as much as i was. Who knows maybe even after I do this i won't even want sugar anymore. Thank you for the link!