My first outdoor 5km run! Yay.

Options
Okay so I'm sure this is no biggie to most of you but today I managed to run my first outdoor 5km run without stopping. This is quite a big deal for me as I've never been good at outdoor running and just usually give up. It was in 34 minutes so I know thats slow but I'm going for distance rather than speed and hopefully over time the speed will improve naturally!

However, I know my shins are going to kill me tomorrow as I havnt been running in the correct gear! Can anyone suggest some good but cheaper running trainers? I dont want to spend a fortune. I love all of Nikes funky ones, I wonder if anyone knows any sites for brands at a discounted price?

Thanks!

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! It's an accomplishment. Be proud of yourself. :drinker:

Don't skimp on the shoes. It's not worth it. You don't need all the fancy gadgets, but a good pair of shoes are essential for running. Go to a running specific store and get fitted for the right shoes.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    This is a huge deal!! :drinker: Congrats!!!
    And go get fitted for shoes at your local running store, not Foot Locker or one of those places. Tell them your budget and they'll be able to suggest something for you. Keep on running!!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Last summer I ran my first continuous 5k in a long time, and it was over 38 minutes. Stick with it and you will get faster.

For shoes, I'm going to echo what the others said. Go to a running store and get fitted - the proper shoes are essential. For a long time I ran in shoes that were not right for me and I had knee pain every time I went 3 miles. When I started running regularly again last year I got fitted for new shoes and now my knee issues are gone. I'm hoping that Brooks comes out with an update to my shoe soon and maybe the current model will go on sale :)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    I actually have no sneaker suggestion but Easter morning was my first time running the same distance at about the same pace as you without stopping, most amazing feeling ever! Congrats!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is fabulous! You can run 5k! You can be fit and run whenever you want to now! FABULOUS! Congrats!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Worry about how the shoe looks after you find out which ones best meet your needs. Find a running specialty store, get the analysis and fitting done, and go from there. Don't walk in the door with your heart set on any particular brand or model ... maybe the best shoe for you is a funky Nike, or a Brooks, Merrell, New Balance, Hoka, Asics, Saucony, Sketchers, Vivofit. The right gear does make a huge difference. The stores I've given business to all provided several options and didn't pressure me towards the most expensive shoe on the wall.

The store is providing a service ... I usually buy that first pair from them even if I know I could buy the same shoes cheaper to pay for that service rendered. After you know your brand, model, and size ... bargain hunt. Look online, shop discount shoe stores, go to running expos for local half and full marathons even if you're not running the event (there are always vendors with sales and coupons), get on the email and facebook lists for local running stores so you know when their blowout sales are, etc.
  • jade2190
    jade2190 Posts: 11
    Options
    I actually have no sneaker suggestion but Easter morning was my first time running the same distance at about the same pace as you without stopping, most amazing feeling ever! Congrats!

It feels good doesn't it?! I'm gonna try a couple more 5k runs over the course of next week and then try for a 6km! The fact at each run I'm able to push myself that little further each time gives me the motivation to go on! Well done to you too!
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm sure this is no biggie to most of you but today I managed to run my first outdoor 5km run without stopping. This is quite a big deal for me as I've never been good at outdoor running and just usually give up. It was in 34 minutes so I know thats slow but I'm going for distance rather than speed and hopefully over time the speed will improve naturally!

However, I know my shins are going to kill me tomorrow as I havnt been running in the correct gear! Can anyone suggest some good but cheaper running trainers? I dont want to spend a fortune. I love all of Nikes funky ones, I wonder if anyone knows any sites for brands at a discounted price?

Congrats on three continuous miles! I remember the first time I did the same distance continuously. As the app on my phone displayed 3 miles I threw my arms up in the air with a big smile on my face and did a victory strut/run ( I still do this with new record long runs to this day.)......Then promptly stopped and caught my breath. Keep slowly and safely building up the miles if running is something you enjoy.

I would suggest going to a running store to be fitted for shoes. I know the upfront cost will be a little high, but it is worth it in the long run. After you have found the right shoe for you, look for your shoe online (It can often times be found for much less.). I have started to buy last years model shoe to save even more. Shoes do have a shelf life, so this can be a little more risky than the current model in the store (I save, on average, $60.00 every time I buy shoes by doing this.).
  • hopper602
    hopper602 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    congrats!!! I never ran EVER until this last year or so. Its so hard on my knees but now that im losing weight im making an effort to run more. I did my first 5K last year but it was more of a zombie mud run with obstacles and stuff. It took me just about 40 mins to complete. Probably the same amount of time it would have taken me to run without the obstacles lol.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    congratulations. I have been running outside for months and love it. I suggest spending a little more money on your shoes. In San Diego we have a store called Road Running Sports and they analyze your feet and the computer spits out what type of shoe you need. the shoes will cost about $100 and they have a 3 month warranty if you don't like them after 3 months you can exchange them so run in them for every day for 3 months and if you don't like them, exchange them. I promise you a good pair of shoes will take you a long way. don't skimp on your shoes and socks. your feet will love you for them.

btw, i use Nike lunarglides 5
    db9b9459-e101-4a42-827f-e7c14abfc3de_zps2a2e5932.jpg
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! I remember the first time I ran 3.1 and it was amazing. I may or may not have shed a little tear afterwards because I was so happy...

I have to agree with the other posters about shoes. A couple of months ago I tried to analyze my own gait/pronation and bought some sneakers at D!ck's but I've been having some knee pain when running 3+ miles. I'm going to a running store this weekend and having a real analysis done to see if maybe I'm running in the wrong shoes. It's really not something to skimp on unfortunately.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!! I remember the first time I ran 3.1 and it was amazing. I may or may not have shed a little tear afterwards because I was so happy...

I have to agree with the other posters about shoes. A couple of months ago I tried to analyze my own gait/pronation and bought some sneakers at D!ck's but I've been having some knee pain when running 3+ miles. I'm going to a running store this weekend and having a real analysis done to see if maybe I'm running in the wrong shoes. It's really not something to skimp on unfortunately.

my shoes were 98 and I spent 70 on the shoe inserts. they balanced my stance out. but they are good for a year so I can get about 3 or 4 pair of shoes out of them before I have to replace the inserts.
  • MichelleSawatzky
    MichelleSawatzky Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    YAY is right!!! You should be very proud of yourself! Don't worry about the speed...that will come with time.
    I agree with everyone else - you need to go to a running store and get new shoes! Then once you know what shoes work best for you (and you wear them out) - go online and by another pair.
    Congratulations again!! Keep up the great work!
    :wink:
  • emmaroid1981
    emmaroid1981 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!!!!! That feeling when you have finished running, can't be beat it, a real sense of achievement.

I don't know if your in the UK or not but I went to a shop called the sweatshop and got the right shoes for my feet, cost me £95, but I look at it this way, I wouldnt buy a cheap pushbike so I wont buy cheap trainers, not worth the injuries if your looking into running distance.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    YAY is right!!! You should be very proud of yourself! Don't worry about the speed...that will come with time.
    I agree with everyone else - you need to go to a running store and get new shoes! Then once you know what shoes work best for you (and you wear them out) - go online and by another pair.
    Congratulations again!! Keep up the great work!
    :wink:

or just say you don't want them and then buy them online. I was planning on doing that but Road Runner Sports had the lowest price on shoes that i wanted. they are literally like a wharehouse of running shoes. I love that store. and I can return the shoes if I don't like how they feel. like a 3 month test drive and if I don't like them they will give me a new pair. you can't beat that ever.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You did great! Well done!
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! That is a really good accomplishment. And as for being slow, 34 minutes isn't! Just think of how fast you'll go when you've had a little more practice, there will be no stopping you!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    Excellent work! That is a really good accomplishment. And as for being slow, 34 minutes isn't! Just think of how fast you'll go when you've had a little more practice, there will be no stopping you!

I agree, i run a 5k in 30-31 min so 34 is an excellent speed. I want to make it 34 min myself so I'll have energy left when I run 10K. I always go out the gate too fast and run out of steam around mile 5.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the 5k!!!!! That is an awesome job. I found a good pair of New Balance (and I think my Nike's before) at DSW. Or check out an outlet mall or discount store that sells shoes. One thing I like to do is get fitted and a running store and then see if I can find it cheaper online or another store. Compression socks may help too.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Options
    compression socks aren't needed for 5K but support socks can help and dry fit that are snug so your feet won't get blisters.