No sugar diet

Options

Replies

• michelle6673
    Options
    I don't think it's necessary to try to eat "no sugar"... just reducing your intake will do wonders for your waistline. I was getting somewhere around 100g of sugar/day before I started really watching my intake. Now, I set my goal for 50g/day and try very hard to stick with it. They say you shouldn't get more than 30g of ADDED sugar/day. So.... as long as of my 50g... 30g or less of it is added... I'm pretty happy with that... and I think it has done wonders to help my overall health and help me start losing again.

Good luck!

i didn't know that! that's a good idea! thank u
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you're on the no sugar diet, then there should be guidelines as to what to eat and not eat in that diet plan? There is sugar in almost everything, and a lot in fruit. Sugar is sugar, the difference between the sugar in candy and fruit is minimal, but the fruit also contains water and nutrients and fiber. What to eat? What do you normally eat? 25 pounds in 100 days is quite aggressive as you're already in a healthy range(?), but you can do it, just make sure you have a constant deficiency, I think around 770 calories per day below maintenance is what you need! And congrats on getting married!

well there are some foods out there i have found that have no sugar but aren't the best options. the popcorn i buy has no sugar so i can enjoy that once in awhile & i know cheese doesn't have any sugar. I am think about making salads for my lunch for work & adding chicken to it & then just squirting lemon on it because i think all salad dressings have sugar but not sure about that. Normally before this diet I was eating cookies everyday, whatever i could get my hands on that had sugar. I noticed i am more tired through out the day & never have energy when i get home. Right now I am eating a banana for breakfast, veggies for lunch & veggies for supper. But I am already bored with those things & it's only day 3! I want to try this for a week to see how much weight I can lose in a week & have already lost 1 pound so far. Sugar has always been a big part of my daily routine & wanna break the habit. Thank you!

Just be careful. Your weight loss on the first week will be deceitful and not the real weekly weight loss you should expect. You need to at least give it 2-3 weeks before you judge. On the first week you will usually lose MUCH MORE than you will on the rest of your diet because most of it will be water weight, not real fat loss.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I think I might be able to fill an MFP bingo card on this thread, so I'm in.
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Welcome! I"m in the same boat as you (getting married in August this year). Trying to lose some fat so my gorgeous dress zips.

I think your approach of limiting sugar is a good one. Plenty of research (old and new) shows that sugar leads to insulin spikes which promotes fat storage and discourages fat release in the body.

Personally I'm doing a Ketogenic diet to reach my goal. Started 2.5 weeks ago. 12 lbs (7 lbs of body fat) down...20 more to go.

Good luck on your journey and remember...you fiance will think you're gorgeous no matter what :)

Congratulations! I have never heard of Ketogenic diet! What are you eating? That's really great! Maybe I will look more into this! And thank you! I know! I just have never looked that good in a bikini either lol & wanna get to the point where i feel confident to wear one also
  • michelle6673
    Options

Thank you so much! Will have to try that recipe! Sounds amazing! I have never tried avacados but have been wondering about them! What do they taste like?

Avocados~ Creamy, buttery wonderful goodness!! I eat mine with a little salt and pepper, in a salad or to add creaminess to a smoothie!

Congrats on your wedding! Lots of great advice here. Welcome to MFP! I am new as well and it has changed my life! :)

Yum that sounds really good! I will have to try it! I love salads so I will have to try it with a salad too! Thank you! Yes there is a lot of great advice on here! That's great! how long ago did u join?
  • michelle6673
    Options
    If you're on the no sugar diet, then there should be guidelines as to what to eat and not eat in that diet plan? There is sugar in almost everything, and a lot in fruit. Sugar is sugar, the difference between the sugar in candy and fruit is minimal, but the fruit also contains water and nutrients and fiber. What to eat? What do you normally eat? 25 pounds in 100 days is quite aggressive as you're already in a healthy range(?), but you can do it, just make sure you have a constant deficiency, I think around 770 calories per day below maintenance is what you need! And congrats on getting married!

well there are some foods out there i have found that have no sugar but aren't the best options. the popcorn i buy has no sugar so i can enjoy that once in awhile & i know cheese doesn't have any sugar. I am think about making salads for my lunch for work & adding chicken to it & then just squirting lemon on it because i think all salad dressings have sugar but not sure about that. Normally before this diet I was eating cookies everyday, whatever i could get my hands on that had sugar. I noticed i am more tired through out the day & never have energy when i get home. Right now I am eating a banana for breakfast, veggies for lunch & veggies for supper. But I am already bored with those things & it's only day 3! I want to try this for a week to see how much weight I can lose in a week & have already lost 1 pound so far. Sugar has always been a big part of my daily routine & wanna break the habit. Thank you!

Just be careful. Your weight loss on the first week will be deceitful and not the real weekly weight loss you should expect. You need to at least give it 2-3 weeks before you judge. On the first week you will usually lose MUCH MORE than you will on the rest of your diet because most of it will be water weight, not real fat loss.

Thank you! I wasn't aware of that! I will be sure to remember that :) thank u for the advice
  • Mummysskinnymission
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. I am getting married in a few months & am trying to lose at least 25 pounds by then! I started the no sugar diet yesterday & am now on day two. All I have tried eating so far is vegetables & fruit which I am trying not to eat so much because of the sugar in them but I thought since it was natural fruit it would be ok. I am stuck on what else I can eat. If anyone has any food suggestions or recipes that would be great!

Sorry Michelle,

You have used the phrase NO SUGAR and then gone on to use the word fruit - this thread could go down hill quickly.

If it does, do not take it personally, some of the members are still learning how to communicate properly with society (they mean well).

I'm not too up on the no sugar diet, but I take it protein and fat are allowed. Maybe take a look at one of the Low Carb High Fat groups, there are normally some good recipes on there.

Good luck and congrats on the wedding.

Yup you will get some nasty comments from people sat upon bug nice big horse hehe ... I am doin a no sugar diet and it is sooooooo hard i dont eat fruit asit has abit to much in but i do eat vedg i take supplements . I have gone from189lbs to 150lbs in a year and eating what i want and no dieting for a year i have kept if off i gained 4lbs back. I have found high protein around 150gs around40gs fat and 1200 cals a day help me shift it pretty quickly also doing zumba and lifting weights (squatting) when i first started i lost 14lbs in 3 weeks but i went from sitting down constantly to 45 mins zumba 60 min walk a day i am 5 ft 7 also feel free to add me and message xxx
  • michelle6673
    Options

It really sounds like you're making it up as you go. Eating popcorn is going to sabotage your "no sugar" diet.

Look up Keto groups on FB, or http://www.ruled.me/

I kind of am to be honest because i just don't really know what i should be eating. I am going to look into the keto groups though. thank u
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. I am getting married in a few months & am trying to lose at least 25 pounds by then! I started the no sugar diet yesterday & am now on day two. All I have tried eating so far is vegetables & fruit which I am trying not to eat so much because of the sugar in them but I thought since it was natural fruit it would be ok. I am stuck on what else I can eat. If anyone has any food suggestions or recipes that would be great!

Sorry Michelle,

You have used the phrase NO SUGAR and then gone on to use the word fruit - this thread could go down hill quickly.

If it does, do not take it personally, some of the members are still learning how to communicate properly with society (they mean well).

I'm not too up on the no sugar diet, but I take it protein and fat are allowed. Maybe take a look at one of the Low Carb High Fat groups, there are normally some good recipes on there.

Yup you will get some nasty comments from people sat upon bug nice big horse hehe ... I am doin a no sugar diet and it is sooooooo hard i dont eat fruit asit has abit to much in but i do eat vedg i take supplements . I have gone from189lbs to 150lbs in a year and eating what i want and no dieting for a year i have kept if off i gained 4lbs back. I have found high protein around 150gs around40gs fat and 1200 cals a day help me shift it pretty quickly also doing zumba and lifting weights (squatting) when i first started i lost 14lbs in 3 weeks but i went from sitting down constantly to 45 mins zumba 60 min walk a day i am 5 ft 7 also feel free to add me and message xxx

I just try to ignore the nasty comments but the comments i got on here so far i don't think are bad. Just people trying to give good advice. So you think I should give up fruit? I just don't know what else to eat for breakfast or for anything else for that matter. I love veggies but I don't want to eat them for lunch & dinner. I like a variation of food, do u have any suggestions? I am going to start running 5 days a week on my lunch time. I added you!
  • tmyers968
    tmyers968 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thank you! I feel like I am the only one trying to do this! It's nice to have support. I don't think i have been including enough meat in my diet & i bought some salmon but am really afraid to try it, I love cooked shrimp but don't really know how to prepare salmon. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Salmon is wonderful! I put a little bit of olive oil in the pan. Season the fish with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. start with the skin side down (if it has the skin) cook 3-5 minutes on each side depending on thickness. I like to add a squeeze of lemon before I dig in. You can also add herbs like dill or thyme.

Here is a great article on sugar and sweeteners. I personally use Xylitol (pure from birch trees) Some people will say it causes tummy upset, but I have never experienced that and use it everyday. I think the kind I use it why. Tastes just like sugar. Also kills bacteria in your mouth that causes tooth decay. Agave is processed and not good for you. You can read about it in this article. Dr. Mercola is amazing!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/08/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen.aspx
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Great advice from smushy and martinel! Another tip. Since your goal is time critical you will want to be as accurate as you can with food tracking. Invest in a food scale with the tare function and weigh and log everything you eat, even your coffee creamer!

If you do decide after all to cut all sugar, don't mind the sugar readings on MFP because these include fruits, veggies and dairy. Beans and legumes are a nice source of protein, as well as lean meats and poultry which have no sugar.

Also keep in mind if you are going to do cardio on cardio machines, they tend to over-estimate the calories burned by as much as twice! Invest in a heart rate monitor and eat half your workout calories back, just to be safe. Strength training will also give you some nice shapes in your wedding dress ;)

Congratulations and good luck!

Thank you! Also I do have a question is the food scale you're talking about the one that's on here or basically just measuring everything I eat? Do you also think I should invest in one of those.... i don't know what they are called but you measure your waist with them lol. I am going to start running on my lunch so i will be working out 5 days a week. Will that be enough?

I meant a scale to measure your food then enter the food and its measurement. Example: you ate an apple that weighs 180 gram - you come to the website or use the phone app, go to food, then search for "apple" then enter its weight as 180 gram (if you use grams be careful, most things that are measured in grams here come at a base of 100 gram, so for this example you would enter 1.8 and choose 100 grams for the measurement).

Try to find a digital scale, one with the tare function. It will make things easier for you. What this function does is that you don't need to subtract the weight of the plate when you measure. You just put the plate on the scale, press the tare button and the reading becomes 0, then put your food on the plate to know how much it weighs.

You can buy a measuring tape if you want too (that's what it's called :flowerforyou: ), it helps measuring yourself once every 2-4 weeks because sometimes your weight is not stable and you may feel discouraged if you don't lose anything for the week but it may be just that your body is storing more water than usual, so you don't see your loss.

Running is great for burning calories!! But if you have time, try to also do some weight lifting or strength training. When you lose your weight you may lose some of the muscle. Strength training makes the muscle loss slower so your arms don't look like noodles on your wedding day.

Ok! That's a great idea thank u! That's it!!! I was going to call it a ruler...oops lol. I wanted to get one incase the scale says i haven't lost weight! Yea i want a little muscle tone in my arms that would be nice! Thank u for the advice
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you can eat sugar and lose weight, just eat in a calorie deficit.

If this is the no sugar diet, then why are you eating fruit? Fruit has sugar in it...so do vegetables as they are a carbohydrate...

I think if you learn to eat the foods you like in moderation you are going to have way more success then trying some super restrictive "no sugar" diet, that, in the end, has you eating sugar...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

If this is the no sugar diet, then why are you eating fruit? Fruit has sugar in it...so do vegetables as they are a carbohydrate...

I think if you learn to eat the foods you like in moderation you are going to have way more success then trying some super restrictive "no sugar" diet, that, in the end, has you eating sugar...

You do not disappoint!

Go on do the magic gif!
  • michelle6673
    Options

Thank you! I feel like I am the only one trying to do this! It's nice to have support. I don't think i have been including enough meat in my diet & i bought some salmon but am really afraid to try it, I love cooked shrimp but don't really know how to prepare salmon. Do you have any suggestions? Thank you!

Salmon is wonderful! I put a little bit of olive oil in the pan. Season the fish with salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. start with the skin side down (if it has the skin) cook 3-5 minutes on each side depending on thickness. I like to add a squeeze of lemon before I dig in. You can also add herbs like dill or thyme.

Here is a great article on sugar and sweeteners. I personally use Xylitol (pure from birch trees) Some people will say it causes tummy upset, but I have never experienced that and use it everyday. I think the kind I use it why. Tastes just like sugar. Also kills bacteria in your mouth that causes tooth decay. Agave is processed and not good for you. You can read about it in this article. Dr. Mercola is amazing!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/08/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen.aspx

mmmm that sounds really good. I will have to try that on my salmon! So mine does have skin & am kind of iffy about that so will it come off or can u tell that the skin is on when u eat it? That's awesome thank you i will have to try Xylitol! I think that will help a lot with my cravings
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Sorry Michelle,

this from Emperor never makes sense...

I like the pre white knight track ...you usually wait and then white knight a thread after ...interesting change of strategy ...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Agave syrup is a good sugar alternative, very sweet so u dont need much but its low GI so keeps your blood sugar levels more stable, meaning less liklihood of the cravings/energy slumps u get after sugar. I dunno about a sugar free diet, but this is a natural source of sweetness u could maybe add as an alternative to sugar?
    Why is agave syrup a "good" substitute for sugar, when it's just liquid sugar?
  • michelle6673
    Options

I know they have sugar but that's why i wanted suggestions on what else to eat because I have been eating bananas that's all & i know they have a ton of sugar but I don't know what else i can eat for breakfast i have looked some stuff up but there wasn't very many suggestions on what i could have except eggs, & i don't really like eggs very much so i settled for fruit. Any suggestions as far as what to eat for breakfast? & besides eating veggies what else do u think i should try that doesn't have sugar in them?
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Agave syrup is a good sugar alternative, very sweet so u dont need much but its low GI so keeps your blood sugar levels more stable, meaning less liklihood of the cravings/energy slumps u get after sugar. I dunno about a sugar free diet, but this is a natural source of sweetness u could maybe add as an alternative to sugar?
    Why is agave syrup a "good" substitute for sugar, when it's just liquid sugar?

I have never heard of it but I guess it's not very good for u from the comments i have been getting about it so won't be trying that
  • tmyers968
    tmyers968 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Yum that sounds really good! I will have to try it! I love salads so I will have to try it with a salad too! Thank you! Yes there is a lot of great advice on here! That's great! how long ago did u join?

I joined 12 days ago and I am steadily losing weight. You can look at my food diary and see I am eating well and still losing. I have been on so many diets. They worked at first but they weren't something I could maintain doing for the rest of my life. That is the key. Can you eat this way for the rest of your life? Once I stopped whatever diet I was on the weight came back two fold! I am learning so much from this site and the wonderful supportive people here.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Mercola is a quack
    http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/mercola.html
    FTA:
    "Many of Mercola's articles make unsubstantiated claims and clash with those of leading medical and public health organizations. For example, he opposes immunization [4] fluoridation [5], mammography [6], and the routine administration of vitamin K shots to the newborn [7]; claims that amalgam fillings are toxic [8]; and makes many unsubstantiated recommendations for dietary supplements. Mercola's reach has been greatly boosted by repeated promotion on the "Dr. Oz Show."