How can i make vegetables more versatile

Options
Hey,
I'm trying my best to eat well.
I've started making vegetable soups and boiling my vegetables, but thats all I can think of anything else to keep the vegetables meals variable.

I would be really grateful for any advise and suggestions :D

Thank You in Advance :D

Replies

• lancelotschu81
    lancelotschu81 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Roasting vegetables is another tasty/healthy way to make vegetables more interesting. 375 in the oven, for 45 minutes. Every 15 minutes take the tray out and shake the vegetables so they don't stick. experiment with adding, extra virgin olive oil (or another oil) salt (or herbs). root vegetables respond to this treatment particularly well.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash and broccoli slaw are great substitutes for pasta.
  • _myrahhh
    _myrahhh Posts: 15
    Options
    I like to put fresh spinach, carrots, and sometimes kale in my post work out smoothies.

I've been thinking about putting celery in. I'll have to experiment with it soon.
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Thats for all the suggestions.
    I have a couple of movie cooking questions.

If I didn't cook with with the oil and used cooking spay with that make them taste terrible.

Also how do you cook your squash....I tried cooking it once. I can't remember how, I just remember it didn't taste very good...so I imagine i tasted it wrong
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Add them to stews and chili. Stir fry. Roast them. Grill them. Veggie omelet. Put them nachos, taco salads, on pizza. Mash them.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i eat loads of veg, i eat it steamed, roastes, sweated

in curry, stir fry, pasta

i like to add garlic and chilly to spice it up

have fun with veg try it out and see what works for you

we've been using someowonderful wegetable curry recipes recently nomnomnom
  • amcclain32
    Options
    Check out Pinterest. They have tons of awesome veggie ideas and recipes. Search vegie recipes and you'll find thousands.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Uhm.... Veggies are already versatile, there are so many different varieties which can be cooked in so many different ways. Sautee them, steam them, roast them, cook them on the grill.

Onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, sautee with any kind of meat, serve over rice, put in an omelette, serve over meat, serve over noodles, put it in any kind of sauce. Just one example. Carrots, potatoes and onions cook with your meat.

Sweet potatoes are totally awesome.

Broccoli & cauliflower with melted cheese......... Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • trying_to_burn
    Options
    Ooooh! I'm liking these ideas!
    I finish my pot of soup today.
    I think I'm gonna try do something wild tmmrwz!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Put lettuce, tomato & avocado raw on cold meat sandwiches or hot meat like hamburgers or grilled chicken. With bacon, of course.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I put onions and peppers in everything - omelets, frittatas, sweet and sour chicken with rice... You can make fried rice with any veggie you like as well, and it's delicious.

You can roast them. You can 'hide' them in meatloaf or shepherd's pie. I like mashing everything too - carrots, cauliflower...

Ratatouille is delicious too - just zucchini, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, put in crockpot and cook for 8 hours.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I keep spinach, sliced mushrooms, sliced peppers and mamngo chunks in the freezer. They get added to all sorts.

The mushrooms are great for bulking out a meal.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    herbs, spices and dressings you make at home can add enormous variety to your veggies!
    Google / pinterest the veg you are about to cook and you will find infinite possibilities.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Roast them. Add to casseroles, shepherds pie, lasagne etc. Try stuffed courgette (lovely). Made vegetable flans or pies. Add them with noodles for a stir fry.
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Roasting veg is great, and it seems to enhance the sweetness and taste. You can't beat courgette, aubergine and bell peppers roasted in olive oil.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bacon grease.

that's how.
  • hvreeland
    hvreeland Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Buy a spiralizer ($15 on Amazon) and it's really easy to use to make "pasta" from zucchini and squash. Top with tomato sauce and you have the healthiest of healthy meals!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I love roasting veggies. Butternut squash cubed & tossed with olive or coconut oil, some mushrooms, pumpkin seeds, sage and a little salt and pepper tastes like heaven. Broccoli, asparagus, mixed root veggies - all tasty when roasted.

My other favorite way to cook them is grilling - summer is coming and I love cooking up veggies right alongside whatever I'm grilling. One of those grill pans or wok-type bowls for the grill is awesome for keeping sliced zucchini, peppers, mushrooms, onions from falling through the grill. Toss with olive oil & balsamic vinegar and some herbs - just be careful when you put them in the grill bowl - too much oil will cause a flare up!

I like grilling sweet potatoes on the grill with burgers too - slice them about an inch thick on a diagonal, brush with a bit of oil and give them a shake of salt - they grill up fast and tasty!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    If I didn't cook with with the oil and used cooking spay with that make them taste terrible.

Also how do you cook your squash....I tried cooking it once. I can't remember how, I just remember it didn't taste very good...so I imagine i tasted it wrong

Spray works fine, oil is better - don't be afraid of oils you need some fats in your diet...

Cut spaghetti squash the long way in half - gut it, then place face up in a shallow pan with water, roast until you can fork it easily and then remove and cool. Use a fork to scrap the meat from the shell. You can then use as pasta with a variety of sauces and add meat and/or other veggies as well, or just add tomato and basil and shredded cheese! Yum!

Edited to clarify - 'gut it' means get rid of the seeds.