"off" day hunger

Options
So, I'm converted. I used to hate running and now I enjoy the thrill of smashing through previous personal bests and setting new goals. I decided to run a half marathon in September and I am currently building my endurance base so I can officially start training in July. I run 3x a week, anywhere between 3 and 5 miles.

So here's the thing, on the days that I run I don't feel all that hungry. I eat enough, and I always eat a protein based snack about an hour before I run but I am usually right around my 1300 cal/day goal and can't seem to make myself eat back any exercise calories. Now, on the days that I don't run I am starving! Is this something that you have experienced? Is it ok to make up my exercise calories the next day?

Replies

• BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    YES!

I have recently started running as well. I never thought it was for me but come to find out I love it and am addicted! When I can't run outside I hit the tread mill, when I can't grab a tread mill I hit the tread climber or elliptical or whatever I can to keep my legs moving and heart rate up! It's quite addictive :) I want to train viciously this year and do the Boston Marathon next year!

Anyway... I don't eat before any cardio, I just can't stand the food bouncing around in my stomach. But I am always starving after so I re fuel with veggies, proteins and some healthy carbs.

But yeah, on my non-work out days I tend to be hungrier than work out days. I am not sure why this is and I always wonder if I should be eating more because my body is healing during non-workout days or if I should eat less because I am not burning the calories.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    This is why I switched to a TDEE cut while losing weight - refusal to be starving on rest days, especially the day after a heavy lifting day when my body clearly needed the calories.

Figure out your TDEE, add an appropriate cut, and stick to the same goal every day (not eating exercise calories; they are already included in your TDEE computation).
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I always have a significantly larger appetite on my non-lifting days, which is typically my cardio days. I used to only run, and I never had an appetite like I do the day after I lift.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    So, I'm converted. I used to hate running and now I enjoy the thrill of smashing through previous personal bests and setting new goals. I decided to run a half marathon in September and I am currently building my endurance base so I can officially start training in July. I run 3x a week, anywhere between 3 and 5 miles.

So here's the thing, on the days that I run I don't feel all that hungry. I eat enough, and I always eat a protein based snack about an hour before I run but I am usually right around my 1300 cal/day goal and can't seem to make myself eat back any exercise calories. Now, on the days that I don't run I am starving! Is this something that you have experienced? Is it ok to make up my exercise calories the next day?

It is quite common.
    Our bodies don't reset after 24 hours, it's perfectly fine to roll your calories over to the next day.
    When you get up to your longer runs, you may want to look at eating some extra the day before and maybe the day after too (that's what I do).

Or you could try the TDEE method someone else suggested.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yep, it's called rungry.

I'm not normally very hungry after finishing my long runs, but the next day I'm famished. I'll try to leave a few hundred calories in the bank on long run day, and roll them over to be eaten the next day. I've also had to make a conscious effort not to overeat those days. Kind of like keeping myself under control during PMS, I just tell myself that I'm only hungry because I ran. If I keep this in mind and eat really filling foods, I do a lot better.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I am often at my hungriest the day after I big workout. Part of it is because when I exercise I'm not hungry for a while afterwards. On days where I lift weights or do a second cardio session after work, I'm just not that hungry in the evening. However the next day I might be ravenous.

I switched to the TDEE method in early March. I eat the same number of calories on heavy and light exercise days. I find it works much better for me as I can plan my meals and know what my calorie and macro goals are for the day.

From a total weekly calorie standpoint the TDEE method and the MFP NEAT + exercise should be about a wash. I just find the consistency of TDEE works for me.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    And this is because the TDEE methods already assumes your calorie burn is that correct?
    So you plus in your numbers, get your calorie range and don't add your exercise to MFP, is that right? or am I missing something?

This seems crazy to me... I did my TDEE calculation based on moderate activity which is actually false since I average about a 600 to 700 burn per day. The number I got was to eat up to 1926 calories per day! There is no way that's gonna happen... what am I doing wrong?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    And this is because the TDEE methods already assumes your calorie burn is that correct?
    So you plus in your numbers, get your calorie range and don't add your exercise to MFP, is that right? or am I missing something?

This seems crazy to me... I did my TDEE calculation based on moderate activity which is actually false since I average about a 600 to 700 burn per day. The number I got was to eat up to 1926 calories per day! There is no way that's gonna happen... what am I doing wrong?

Yes, when you figure TDEE, you do not add your exercise calories back, they are already accounted for. You eat the same number everyday.
    If done correctly you will end up in virtually the same average calories over the week whether you use MFP plus exercise or TDEE. For example, my original calorie goal for 1 lb a week was 1400 calories. I usually ended up eating 1800-1900 calories on workout days, some a little more.
    My TDEE worked out to be around 1800 calories.
    Some people like eating the same amount everyday, it makes for easier planning. Others like the flexibility. Plus, if you have a bad week and miss a few workouts, you are still at a deficit.

Its hard to answer your second part without your stats. But if you are at 1200 with MFP and you are burning 600-700 calories, that is putting you at 1800-1800 calories to eat right there. The only thing is on some days you would eat less unless you work out everyday.
    What is your exercise?
    How are you getting your numbers?
    What is your weight loss goal on MFP?
    What did you pick for a weight loss goal with TDEE?

ETA - you're goal is 1200 calories a day and you don't appear to eat any of your exercise calories back. You are logging huge burns, which may be higher than they should, but still, you should be eating at least some of them. That is likely why you are hungry.
    Your goal is to run a marathon - you need more than 1200 calories.
  • erin6989
    erin6989 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely switch to the TDEE when I officially start half marathon training in July, until then I think the method I am using seems to be working for weight loss. Then in July, I'll go into maintenance mode and just focus on improving the runs!