not hungry

Options
I am finding my self just not that hungry, and not eating all my calories during the day. should i eat something anyway? :-)

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not we're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control your hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including periods of undereating, stress, or exercise. You have to look at things like energy levels, mood, healthy skin & nails, gym performance, etc.

A day here and there below your calories is no big deal. But if it becomes a problem, consider including more calorie dense foods into your diet. Nuts, nut butters, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, full fat dairy, ice cream, Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, protein shakes & smoothies, etc. These can add more calories to your day without making you eat a lot of extra food.
  • ShervinM
    ShervinM Posts: 10
    Options
    You should drink a lot of water at least 9/10 glasses to increase your metabolism. The purpose of eating 4/5 meals a day depending on your fitness goal is that it helps increase your metabolism in order for you to be able to burn more calories. If you are sedentary then I recommend working out your correct caloric intake and dividing it into 3 to 5 small meals.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You should drink a lot of water at least 9/10 glasses to increase your metabolism. The purpose of eating 4/5 meals a day depending on your fitness goal is that it helps increase your metabolism in order for you to be able to burn more calories. If you are sedentary then I recommend working out your correct caloric intake and dividing it into 3 to 5 small meals.

Some people find reduced hunger or increased mood and focus on 5-6 small meals a day. Others experience the opposite. Assuming no medical conditions that would require you to schedule your meals, no, meal timing won't increase your metabolism to any noticeable degree. It really is okay to eat as often or as seldom as you want, as long as you feel okay doing it and you're meeting your calorie and nutrition goals.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am finding my self just not that hungry, and not eating all my calories during the day. should i eat something anyway? :-)

In general, yes. it's not necessary to eat all your calories every day. A low day now and then is just as okay as a high day now and then. But if you are eating at a calorie deficit and not hungry on a regular basis, then yes, you should eat anyway.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not always the best indicator of whether or not we're getting enough to eat. The hormones that control your hunger cues can be suppressed by too many things, including periods of undereating, stress, or exercise. You have to look at things like energy levels, mood, healthy skin & nails, gym performance, etc.

A day here and there below your calories is no big deal. But if it becomes a problem, consider including more calorie dense foods into your diet. Nuts, nut butters, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, full fat dairy, ice cream, Greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, protein shakes & smoothies, etc. These can add more calories to your day without making you eat a lot of extra food.

This covers it all. Protect your health.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I believe that one you feel hungry you should have already eaten. I try to gauge myself on a fullness meter. If i'm full i don't eat, if it's been awhile and I could eat, then I eat my next meal. I hate feeling hungry, it leads to bad choices.
  • kdthediva
    Options
    thank you all for the great choices:smile: and suggestions!
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had a day like that earlier this week. I ended up eating about 1260 calories for the entire day. I'm a 6'1' guy so that's not remotely close to my goal. But then the next day I was extra hungry and now seem balanced out again.

In my case I have started adding milled flaxseed to some snacks to add nutrition and keep me full longer. So I'm pretty sure my body was just adjusting to the new introduction.