No sugar diet

Options
1235»

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar that's easy. Just stop eating foods with ADDED sugars in them. That will include lots of processed foods. It's easy to do though and it's a great start. Added sugars are not healthy anyway.

I see many comments on here about people being concerned with cutting out sugar. Sugar is NOT a required nutrient.

There are lots of things you can and should eat. Meats, fish, seafood, veggies, fats, and even grains if you like them. I don't eat sugar or grains and I never have a problem finding something to eat. It's called actual food that does not come from a bag or a box.

Good luck on going sugar free and congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I just had oatmeal......it came from a small bag inside of a box....I sense a problem

callout-about-quaker-history-1987.sflb.ashx

You are one messed up dude!

My oatmeal only comes in a box...it is round...so maybe it is actual food. I think "round" is okay.

Do a box cleanse with the bag option...you'll be okay after that.
  • michelle6673
    Options
    Congrats on your upcoming wedding. You have plenty of time.

Yes your right about the fruit, it has fiber is low GI so is very different from processed sugar. I'm reading a book called 'The Food Hourglass' which is about living longer and eating foods to help avoid disease, so in turn would be an eating plan that eliminates processed sugar and that can only be good, we don't need sugar!

Good luck.

Thank you! It makes me feel better that you say I have plenty of time cuz i feel like i don't. That's interesting! That's what i need is an eating plan. I think that would help me a lot. That's right we don't need sugar!
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey Michelle,

Congratulations on getting married I bet you're very excited!

Just some friendly advice. To start with the positive, I think you're goal is aggressive but it meets the recommended guide lines for the maximum weight you can safely lose in that time frame, so that's a good thing. Generally speaking it's not a good idea to lose more than 2 lbs per week and any more than that can adversely affect your health and may cause permanent damage to your body. It's also not recommended to consume any less than 1,200 per days for an adult female.

Now to the negative. I'm not a fan of any diet that has a restriction on what you can or cannot eat. Rather than eliminate sugar completely I recommend that you simply reduce your sugar intake and count the calories. If your weight loss goal sets you at 1,200 calories per day, eat a super healthy during the day, squeeze in a workout to gain a few extra calories and set aside a few calories for some frozen yogart. You'll lose weight and you're tummy will still get a treat.

Also don't cut out the fruit. Fruits do contain sugar but they also contain fiber which is good for you. An apple a day keeps the doctor away afterall.

What to do now- Change your plan from eliminating sugar to going to the gym at least 30-45 minutes for 3-4 days per week and for the next 3 months aggressively track your calorie intake. You'll lose the 25lbs safely and your body will thank you for it. You may also form habits that'll help you continue to be on the right track for the rest of your life.

^^^This! Also if you can't afford a gym, do exercise DVDs! I use them and find them really effective.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    If you want to cut out sugar that's easy. Just stop eating foods with ADDED sugars in them. That will include lots of processed foods. It's easy to do though and it's a great start. Added sugars are not healthy anyway.

I see many comments on here about people being concerned with cutting out sugar. Sugar is NOT a required nutrient.

There are lots of things you can and should eat. Meats, fish, seafood, veggies, fats, and even grains if you like them. I don't eat sugar or grains and I never have a problem finding something to eat. It's called actual food that does not come from a bag or a box.

Good luck on going sugar free and congrats on your upcoming wedding!
    I just had oatmeal......it came from a small bag inside of a box....I sense a problem

callout-about-quaker-history-1987.sflb.ashx

Is that the dude from Cocoon?
  • kon_e3
    kon_e3 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Check out my diary, I eat 2300 cals, about 235g of carbs and around 20g of sugar. I also do not care for low sugar type of diet as it is not a decisive factor in weight loss.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    *dips spoon in peanut butter* Go oooon. O.o:

Good luck on your goals. I found peace with my food and sustainability through just practicing moderation. IF you can be truly happy doing this, go for it. I would not. Cutting things out I enjoy and demonizing food just seems like such a waste of time.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    Options
    4 Hour Body is the easiest. I would pick it up if you havent already. Could also help you hit the 25 lb goal
  • saralundvall
    Options
    I just started this plan developed by a physician at our local medical center: Visit the "Panakos Weight Loss Plan" on Facebook. It is NOT easy but seeing results as indicated in the plan (spelled out in one of the posts). You can do it!
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the wedding! It will be here before you know it. The only thing I have to offer here is that you are going to have so much to stress and worry about in the coming months that putting undo stress on your body will not be beneficial. It is smart to always be aware of what you are eating and how you plan on managing weight loss. I also understand that processed sugars seems the easiest place to start since society is hounded about how awful sugar is. This simply isn't true. I think you know by reading the comments that it is almost impossible to avoid sugar all together. Look more at your calories, exercise often and enjoy these next few months of planning. You don't want to look back and say that you missed some of the details because you were too obsessed with cutting out sugar. Finally, remember that weight loss should be for yourself, but your fiance loved you enough for who you are now to propose. He won't care if you weigh 25lbs less when you walk down the aisle. Do what you can to lose for yourself, but don't restrict yourself to a time frame. Not when you have enough to manage right now.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    LOL, the raisins comment got me. I also meant fills and not feels. Thanks OP!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Umm, Xylitol is also processed...

You are right. Here is what I trying to get across:

You've probably heard the news about high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) being bad for your health, and as a result many people interested in staying healthy have switched to agave as a safer "natural" sweetener. However, most agave is actually WORSE than HFCS because it has a higher fructose content than any commercial sweetener -- ranging from 70 to 97 percent, depending on the brand, which is FAR HIGHER than HFCS, which averages 55 percent.

So in moderation, some sugar alcohols can be a better choice than highly refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, agave, or high fructose corn syrup. Of the various sugar alcohols, xylitol is one of the best. When it is pure, the potential side effects are minimal, and it actually comes with some benefits such as fighting tooth decay. All in all, I would say that xylitol is reasonably safe, and potentially even a mildly beneficial sweetener.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/10/08/the-4-best-and-3-worst-sweeteners-to-have-in-your-kitchen.aspx
    Please stop linking to the quack Mercola. His biggest claim to game is the fact that he openly just makes things up, and says whatever the hell he wants to push his viewpoints. Using him to prove any kind of point really has the opposite effect.

There's nothing wrong with ANY sweetener in moderation.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I am really excited but wanting to lose that much weight in 3 months, I feel like it's impossible & thank you for your advice! I think you are right! It's too hard as it is trying to avoid sugar all together & i don't feel like I am getting enough food. Thanks for the support

Hi Michelle

When you are cutting something, you need to replace it with something. Unfortunately with the failed low fat diet approach, the replacement for healthy fat is all too often, carbs which in excess have caused society untold problems with obesity, diabetes etc...

Don't be afraid to fill up on fat! Fat is good for you and along with a moderate protein intake, and a small amount of complex carbs from vegetables, you should cover all of your needs and be satiated since fat is filling and full of readily used energy.

Maybe you would like to pop by one of the low carb groups here like http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group- or go to http://www.reddit.com/r/keto to ensure you are doing it right for maximum benefit before the big day!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Don't give up fruit it healthy and it has fiber in it.
  • TiLo0905
    TiLo0905 Posts: 34
    Options
    I keep an eye on my sugars because im insulin resistant but i find its very hard to delete it totally from the diet, sugar is so well hidden in alot of things you wouldnt expect, especially pre packaged stuff. I just about fell off my chair when i logged on a can of tomato soup on here and the sugar amount was astronomical!

Anyway good luck and best wishes on your upcoming marriage! :flowerforyou:
  • chrtyanderson
    Options
    So, no sugar/low sugar was a great way for me to detox. I felt better and lost 10 pounds. I tried counting calories and eating healthy but even a granola bar and a yogurt can contain massive amounts of sugar and I hardly lost weight cutting calories and exercise alone. I had to cut it ALL the sugar out. I feel like sugar was/is my weakness and staying away from it helped me get on track. Prior to this I had done nutrisystem without any results and I do believe it was because of the high sugar/processed food,yuck! I worked really hard for a long time with exercise and counting calories and really struggled till I became more conscious about sugar intake.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Michelle. I am getting married in a few months & am trying to lose at least 25 pounds by then! I started the no sugar diet yesterday & am now on day two. All I have tried eating so far is vegetables & fruit which I am trying not to eat so much because of the sugar in them but I thought since it was natural fruit it would be ok. I am stuck on what else I can eat. If anyone has any food suggestions or recipes that would be great!

I'm not sure what a "no-sugar diet" is, but I have heard of the 21 Day Sugar Detox. Anyway, you'll find there's plenty of sugar in fruits & veggies, but there's no reason to avoid eating fruits & vegetables. To answer your question of "what else to eat", there's always meat, eggs, fats...etc.
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If you really want to ditch sugar, you will be doing a lot of cooking! Bake your own bread etc, do not buy ready meals etc - all will contain sugar.

Alternatives? Honey, maple syrup, agave...

Check out madeline shaw's website - she has heaps of recipes and will never use sugar.

I agree with the above comments though - this is quite a dramatic weight loss goal! Most people who have cut sugar see it as a lifestyle choice, eating clean etc, and not a diet. I wonder if the weight would be regained once you reintroduced sugar into your diet - maybe someone else would know about this?