Fall is coming, now what

Options
Usually the fall and winter months are the worst for me. I become inactive, eat more and may even suffer from SAAD.:cry:

Around late Sept. is when I feel the pound creep back on and my motivation goes out the window. I want to continue my program, stay active but I know what happens.

Any suggestions?:frown:

Replies

• juanitablackshe
    Options
    Usually the fall and winter months are the worst for me. I become inactive, eat more and may even suffer from SAAD.:cry:

Around late Sept. is when I feel the pound creep back on and my motivation goes out the window. I want to continue my program, stay active but I know what happens.

• sgtinvincible
    sgtinvincible Posts: 2,559
    Options

Juanita, I also suffer from SAAD. It's absolutely imperative that you stay active, whether it be by working out, or running on a treadmill, aerobics, or something. It does wonders to stave off the winter blues.
  • iluvmy2kids2
    Options
    I am in the same boat, except I don't get depressed I get cookin'! And when you cook like I do, you have to eat it:wink: My goal this fall/winter is to still cook but make everyone else eat it, my co-workers are doomed!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Do you have a light lamp? I have suffered mildly to severly from SAD in the past, and I KNOW light lamps help me. In college, I'd even just turn on my desk lamp, close my eyes, and allow the light to radiate across my face to help.

Keep active.
    Keep everything well lit.
    Dress brightly.
    Smile. Laugh. Be your own ray of sunshine.
    Ward off that mess. Stay positive.

(Easy for us to say now, in the midst of a golden summer, right?)
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to think ahead too.

I just found three Tae Bo videos at the thrift store for $1 each, and I'm going back for the remainder next week. I work out at the gym every other day, and on the days I'm not in the gym, I'm walking outdoors, so I'm trying to stay ahead of the game by prepping for the cold, rainy, snowy days that are coming with plenty of fitness tapes/dvds.
  • bellmom627
    bellmom627 Posts: 195
    Options
    I also have SAAD, but mine occurs in the Spring, contrary to most.

I have found that in order to stay motivated to go out of the house AT ALL I need friends to be calling and my hubby to keep on me to MAKE me go out. I never WANT to, but I find that once I do it helps. Get friends to take turns calling you and literally forcing you out, no matter what.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    This is really a timely topic for me as well. I was actually thinking (shock, surprise :noway: ) today about just what can I do when the weather changes, and I can't play outdoors to burn calories? I think that maybe we need to start getting creative here folks, and lets post suggestions for Fall activities that could get us going OUTDOORS to burn bay bee burn!

My first thought was raking leaves by hand, not sexy, but fun to jump into! Also, a nice walk with my hunny bunny can help. And yes, I do understand about SADD... I live in northern Michigan, and it get abso dreary in the Winter! Both my loving wiff and I find that we NEED to keep our minds busy then, and that helps some. Plus, we take a Sun Holiday, and go somewhere nice and where we can get a sunburn (if we chose to).
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    sorry we are heading out of our winter i just made my self still go to the gym and the days we had sun i try and make me go out for walks with the kids like weekends other wise kids would make me go crazy and id kill them lol kidding i love them truly

roll on summer here we come and i am so ready for it this summer im smaller than i have ever been and still loosing so summer here i come watch out lol
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm sure raking leaves and shoveling snow burn TONS of calories!

I just moved back to the midwest from Las Vegas and I cannot wait til my first snowball fight!!!!:bigsmile:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Try dancing to fast oldies when the weather is too bad to go out. It's alot of fun!!!
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    Believe me this gal from New England feels your pain!!!:ohwell:

Fall actually is my fav time to go out running and do activities...you just have to dress right....nothing is better than a nice crisp fall morning run or walk! even in the winter you can get out and walk...just bundle up and you'd be surprised how fun it is!

Just have to plan it and if its way too cold, rainy or dark out....:grumble: stupid part of fall/winter....then get some good workout tapes....or go join a gym or workout class....the exercise will help w/ your feel good hormones and help you deal w/ the SAAD a bit better.

I agree to keep moving too....even if its just to go to a store to walk around...get out! :wink: I'm rooting for you hon...for us all!:drinker:

hugs!
    Ali
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options

...you just have to dress right....nothing is better than a nice crisp fall morning run or walk! even in the winter you can get out and walk...just bundle up and you'd be surprised how fun it is!
    hugs!
    Ali

Yeah, here in northern Michigan we have a saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing". :wink:
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Lots of raking and yard work to pack up for the winter months.
    Having a gym membership helps, that way there is always some place warm and dry to work out in.
    Im also more compelled to work out at the gym, since Im paying for it, I feel the need to get my moneys worth from it!