Crunchy knee

Hello! I run around 3-5 miles 3-4 x per week. Over the past month I've noticed my left knee crunching when I go up the stairs. No pain or swelling, just crunching sounds and a slight grinding sensation. I am dreadfully afraid of the feared Runner's knee. Without a trip to the doc, looking for advice. Can I wrap it? Stretch it? Do I have to lay off it (and if so, for how long?). Already in running withdrawls, and I've run already 3 times this week.

Boo!

:frown:

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    MFP is not a substitute for medical advice. Knees are important, see a doctor.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    You need to see a physiotherapist to get a correct diagnosis. It's impossible to recommend treatment options without this.

It sounds like it could be runners knee, but there are other possible diagnoses too. Self-treating this without a correct diagnosis may lead to further damage. .
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    MFP is not a substitute for medical advice. Knees are important, see a doctor.
  • nataliea683
    nataliea683 Posts: 64 Member
    i have had this since i was about 14 when my brother hit me with a golf umbrella across the knee caps! my dr said my knee caps hit the backs of my knees releasing fluid to the front (i have two bumps to the side of my knee caps where the fluid is) doesnt cause me problems tho, but as everyone has said i would go to your dr to get it checked out i had to have a bit of physio for mine although they do still crunch when going up and down stairs.