Overtraining

Options
How do you know if you're overtraining? What are some symptoms, and how would you correct it without losing your hard-earned progress?

Replies

• ShervinM
    ShervinM Posts: 10
    Options
    Depending on your fitness goal you should not spend more than 45 minutes to a maximum of 1 hour per session at the gym. If you over train your body switches to fatigue mode and that has a bad effect on your progress.

In addition, drink lots of water whilst working out to stay hydrated.

Thanks
  • lindzgayle
    lindzgayle Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness goal you should not spend more than 45 minutes to a maximum of 1 hour per session at the gym. If you over train your body switches to fatigue mode and that has a bad effect on your progress.

Thanks
    Thank you for replying.

What about 2/day workouts 2x or 3x per week? Is that likely to result in overtraining and sabotage progress?
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Not fully recovering between workouts, losing your menstrual period, insomnia, mood swings, loss of libido...
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Joint injury is another one to watch out for.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Overtraining can put undo stress on your body resulting in numerous things. Unable to sleep, weight loss can stall, hormone imbalance and the above already mentioned. I'm certain there is probably more.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Not fully recovering between workouts, losing your menstrual period, insomnia, mood swings, loss of libido...

All of the above plus a higher than normal resting heart rate.
  • ReedWA
    ReedWA Posts: 12 Member
    Options

So when I ride my bike it is usually for not less than 90 minutes, sometimes up to 2 hours a day. Are you saying that is considered overtraining? FYI - I am new (2 weeks) to MFP so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    How do you know if you're overtraining? What are some symptoms, and how would you correct it without losing your hard-earned progress?
    Some symptoms are:

Always being tired
    Joints and tendons hurt all the time
    Boredom with your workout

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You will know it if you are overtraining....you may ignore it, but deep down, you know it. Listen to your body when it's screaming at you...
  • ianplant
    ianplant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and fitness levels. If you are doing lots of cardio / all body workouts maybe rest every second or third day.

If you have a high fitness level and do like weight training, you might be able to rest once every 7 - 10 days and not over train if you really isolate each body part over that period. So if you train legs one day, then abs the next, then arms / chest on the third, you can be in the gym every day but each body part will have rested two days before you hit it again. But this isn't really for beginers.

Symptoms wise, if you feel you are tired and under performing (not being able to go as long / hard as your last work out) it is time to take a rest day. You really want to be maintaining or progressing all the time, so if you ever feel like you are doing less performance wise then you will need to reassess something.

I think more importantly than rest "days" is to make sure you are getting lots of sleep (more than 9 hours if possible) and the correct nutrition as sleep, proteins, and carbs are essential to recovery.

If you are a beginer, I personally would advise finding a good week long work out plan as they usually include rest days / alter the intensity of workouts for you.

Thanks
    Thank you for replying.

What about 2/day workouts 2x or 3x per week? Is that likely to result in overtraining and sabotage progress?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

So when I ride my bike it is usually for not less than 90 minutes, sometimes up to 2 hours a day. Are you saying that is considered overtraining? FYI - I am new (2 weeks) to MFP so any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    Intensity of training will vary. If you're training HARD for 90 minutes (85% of maximum effort) then yes one could be over training. However at 45%-65% of effort (low/moderate intensity) then no.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ReedWA
    ReedWA Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Intensity of training will vary. If you're training HARD for 90 minutes (85% of maximum effort) then yes one could be over training. However at 45%-65% of effort (low/moderate intensity) then no.

IDEA Fitness member

I am definitely NOT at 85% of maximum effort! Thanks for the clarification and guidance! Much appreciated!
  • lindzgayle
    Options
    It depends on your goals and fitness levels. If you are doing lots of cardio / all body workouts maybe rest every second or third day.

If you have a high fitness level and do like weight training, you might be able to rest once every 7 - 10 days and not over train if you really isolate each body part over that period. So if you train legs one day, then abs the next, then arms / chest on the third, you can be in the gym every day but each body part will have rested two days before you hit it again. But this isn't really for beginers.

Symptoms wise, if you feel you are tired and under performing (not being able to go as long / hard as your last work out) it is time to take a rest day. You really want to be maintaining or progressing all the time, so if you ever feel like you are doing less performance wise then you will need to reassess something.

I think more importantly than rest "days" is to make sure you are getting lots of sleep (more than 9 hours if possible) and the correct nutrition as sleep, proteins, and carbs are essential to recovery.

If you are a beginer, I personally would advise finding a good week long work out plan as they usually include rest days / alter the intensity of workouts for you.

I'm not a beginner, just wanted to be aware of any signals I see that might indicate working too hard. I enjoy working out, both strength and cardio training - I would be bummed if I had to stop for a while and regressed.

Thanks for everyone's feedback! :flowerforyou:

ETA: 9 hours of sleep a night?! hahahahaha
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    in my experience its awfully close to feeling sick

overtraining is going to come at a different point for everyone.

you don't have to stop altogether, if you're feeling it then you should just cut back singificantly for 2-4 weeks, possibly less, till you start feeling better.

currious to know what you are affraid of losing. Chances are your performance will improve after your more recovered.

if your not feeling run down at all then your probably not overtraining
  • lindzgayle
    Options

you don't have to stop altogether, if you're feeling it then you should just cut back singificantly for 2-4 weeks, possibly less, till you start feeling better.

currious to know what you are affraid of losing. Chances are your performance will improve after your more recovered.

That's all I wanted to know. :)

I would be afraid of losing any gains I had made, ie weights or running (time/distance), or throwing my CICO off track while I was on a break.

It never occurred to me that I might be overdoing it; all I've been focusing on is that I am enjoying fitness. No fatigue or tiredness as of yet...
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

That's all I wanted to know. :)

I would be afraid of losing any gains I had made, ie weights or running (time/distance), or throwing my CICO off track while I was on a break.

It never occurred to me that I might be overdoing it; all I've been focusing on is that I am enjoying fitness. No fatigue or tiredness as of yet...

sounds like your doing fine then. should you see lose in progress an not feel any other symptoms, AND your putting in a lot of work, this could also be a sign of over training.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i'd say a week or two off shouldn't set you back much, but i'm over 35 now and its not exactly true for me lol.

even now tho, i can be bit rough coming back but it all comes back very quickly.

weights in particular you shouldn't lose to much ground
  • lindzgayle
    Options
    i'd say a week or two off shouldn't set you back much, but i'm over 35 now and its not exactly true for me lol.

even now tho, i can be bit rough coming back but it all comes back very quickly.

weights in particular you shouldn't lose to much ground
    OMG, not over 35?! That's almost ANCIENT!
    :laugh:
  • vms4evr
    vms4evr Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Actually if you're doing one of the popular HIT programs then after a cycle is done. You should take 1-2 weeks off. Yeah, weeks, not days. I learned this after my 3rd cycle of one of the popular ones. It made a lot of difference in my recovery and attitude to do more. You're body will thank you, not immediately make you fat and miserable. It's quite the opposite of what people fear.

This one is tough for me. I'm a night owl but still have to get up reasonably early during the week. 6 hours is a good night for me, 9 is a fantasy... On weekends sometimes i can get 8 hours. That rest though is a big deal.
  • lindzgayle
    Options
    This one is tough for me. I'm a night owl but still have to get up reasonably early during the week. 6 hours is a good night for me, 9 is a fantasy... On weekends sometimes i can get 8 hours. That rest though is a big deal.

I'm pretty happy with 7 during the week, and if it's not a restful sleep you do NOT want to talk to me the next day! Weekends I try to sneak a nap or two in for some extra zzzz.

Thank you!