What is considered heavy lifting for a woman?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why all the "hate" for machines? I work out at large commercial gyms and everybody uses machines in the weight section.
    When you try free weights, you will understand.
    I've always done 1-6 but I've always focused on strength. I've recently learned exactly what different rep ranges will garner as far as differing end results are concerned. I should have included all of those to make a better response but I'm still pretty stuck in my thinking. The book is a far better resource than I am as well as JoRockas (hopefully not butchered) response.

I read the book a while ago and as a total newb, found it unhelpful. But I've been working with a trainer since February and now that I have an idea of what I'm doing, I need to look over it again.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy is lifting a weight in repetition (1-6 times) usually for 2 - 3 sets that is difficult for you to complete. If it's hard for you to do 5 pushups, that would be lifting heavy for you. If you get good enough that the pushups become easy, then you could move to barbells and weights. You progressively load based on what your muscles are capable of pushing (or pulling). This goes for any weight bearing exercise.

New Rules for Lifting for Women is a fantastic resource that will go in depth to better answer your question.

And like others have said, free weights are inherently better due to the need to engage a much wider range of accessory muscles while lifting. It's a better overall workout.
    Now I'm confused because I have always read and heard 6-12 reps and now three people here have said 1-6. Oy! lol

Though I'm wondering what good one rep really does ...

Reps 1-6 are optimal for building strength..and if your diet supports it, you will put on some mass as well.

Reps 8-12 are optimal for hypertrophy (if your diet supports it)...you will also make strength gains, but not to the extent that you would if you were training for strength (1-6 reps).

A body builder for example would optimally work in the 8-12 rep range and do much more volume of work...a power lifter or Olympic lifter on average is going to do less volume and work in the 1-6 rep range to optimize strength gains and train the CNS for optimal power and strength.

My program for example has me do one week with my lifts being 3 sets of 5 reps where each set progressively increases from about 75% 1 RM to 85% 1 RM....the next week it is 3x3 @ 80% - 90% of 1 RM and the third week is 5/3/1 @ 85%/90%/95% respectively. This is for my primarily lifts...I do 3x8 for my assistance work.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    what I lift heavy is completely irrelevant to what you lift as heavy.

Everyone is NOT the same as far as ability and where they are are in their journey.

Heavy is a rep range- not a number.

Heavy is 1-5 reps.

If you can't do just one single rep- it's TOO heavy.
    If you can do between 1-5 reps- it's heavy.
    If you can do between 5-10 you are training strength and size (if the diet supports it)
    if you can do between 10-15 reps- you are training muscle endurance
    if you can do between 15-20 it's to light and you're probably bored out of your mind.

^^^^^ this
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So would 3 sets of 5 work for lifting heavy?
  • rml_16
    Options
    Also, about machines, the great thing about using a trainer (at least to start) is she has shown me some different and more effective ways to use them that I incorporate into my free weight routine. I definitely feel a difference with her methods.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If you are a beginner, look into one of the programs listed above

ETA: or the previous page :laugh:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Lifting heavy is lifting a weight in repetition (1-6 times) usually for 2 - 3 sets that is difficult for you to complete. If it's hard for you to do 5 pushups, that would be lifting heavy for you. If you get good enough that the pushups become easy, then you could move to barbells and weights. You progressively load based on what your muscles are capable of pushing (or pulling). This goes for any weight bearing exercise.

New Rules for Lifting for Women is a fantastic resource that will go in depth to better answer your question.

And like others have said, free weights are inherently better due to the need to engage a much wider range of accessory muscles while lifting. It's a better overall workout.
    Now I'm confused because I have always read and heard 6-12 reps and now three people here have said 1-6. Oy! lol

Though I'm wondering what good one rep really does ...

Reps 1-6 are optimal for building strength..and if your diet supports it, you will put on some mass as well.

Reps 8-12 are optimal for hypertrophy (if your diet supports it)...you will also make strength gains, but not to the extent that you would if you were training for strength (1-6 reps).

A body builder for example would optimally work in the 8-12 rep range and do much more volume of work...a power lifter or Olympic lifter on average is going to do less volume and work in the 1-6 rep range to optimize strength gains and train the CNS for optimal power and strength.
    So if my main goal is to drop fat and simply look better (not to compete or necessarily specifically to get very strong, simply for aesthetics), I'm good with my 6-12 range?
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great info everyone! I will certainly look into the New rules for Woman. Thanks
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative.

But on the subject of machines, this is for your consideration.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/
  • laurenawolf
    Options

I'm not a beginner. I lift 5x a week at what I thought was "heavy" but I can do 3 sets of 12. So I am asking if 3 sets of 5 with even heavier weights would better. I would like to be lifting heavy.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks Good to know. I think I was lifting to light before so that I could get to the 3 sets of ten reps. But when I started looking at the clock I was only resting about 10-15 seconds per set. Last night I pushed myself much harder and rested about 30 seconds per set and was able to upp most of my weights by about 10-125 lbs. Thanks for the info

glad it was helpful.

Also- if you are working and lifting heavier- you're resting times will change. People get uncomfortable in the notion of having to sit and wait for their next set- but as it gets heavier- you'll need to.

Resting is okay- LOL- my rests are upwards of 5 minutes long at this point.
    I'm not a beginner. I lift 5x a week at what I thought was "heavy" but I can do 3 sets of 12. So I am asking if 3 sets of 5 with even heavier weights would better. I would like to be lifting heavy.

did you not read my original post?

because no: most of the time any set including 12 reps is not optimal for maximizing strength gains. There are exceptions for this rule- but they are really isolated programs.

dropping to sets with reps 5 is much better
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Heavy isn't based on rep ranges in the way you are thinking.

1-5 reps focus mainly on strengthening the muscles there with little hypertrophy
    6-12 reps focus mainly on hypertrophy then strength
    15+ reps focus mainly on endurance heading in becoming more cardio than strength

(And this is in regards to the main/compound lifts. Isolation rep ranges can be higher/broader)

Again. Look into the programs mentioned. Not only do they provide routines, but explanations on reps, progression,etc

ETA Programs for Lifting:

Stronglifts (make sure to read the whole free PDF, not just some summary)
    Starting Strength (great technique advice)
    New Rules of Lifting
    AllPros
  • laurenawolf
    Options

This is all I wanted to know. Christ.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Not to be rude- but it was said about 10 times already-- one of those posts was at the top of the first page in a nice bullet-ed format- no need to cop an attitude when it was already spelled out- nobody's being mean or rude (well hadn't up to your post). Chill out- everyone's given great information.
  • rml_16
    Options

Not to be rude- but it was said about 10 times already-- one of those posts was at the top of the first page in a nice bullet-ed format- no need to cop an attitude when it was already spelled out- nobody's being mean or rude (well hadn't up to your post). Chill out- everyone's given great information.
    Dance, monkey, dance!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Answers can be gained without direct response as they could have been in this thread. No need to get worked up about not getting an immediate response tailored specifically to your question (especially since it had already been answered).
  • kthulhu69
    kthulhu69 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider is just taking your muscles to failure. You can to that fast with a lot of weight, or over more reps with a lower weight. I think the best definition of "to failure" is to do an exercise until you can lo longer do it in GOOD FORM rather than until you can no longer do a rep at all. Bad/sloppy form to get an additional rep or two may lead to injury and a big setback.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options

Everyone is NOT the same as far as ability and where they are are in their journey.

Heavy is 1-5 reps.

If you can do between 5-10 you are training strength and size (if the diet supports it)
    if you can do between 15-20 it's to light and you're probably bored out of your mind.

^ Listen to an expert.

Heavy lifting is heavy for YOU. everyone's heavy will be different

^ This
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options

Heavy is 1-5 reps.

That's great information! Can you explain the advantages of lifting heavy? I'm about to start soon.
    If you are losin weight it helps you keep that precious fat burning muscle you already have.
    It increases bone density helping reduce the chances of ostioperosis
    It makes everyday activities easer because you have the strength to do them
    For me it helps me stop focusing on the scale weight and focus more on the mirror and what my body truly looks like
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Dance, monkey, dance!

dancingmonkey_zpse0168681.jpg

*sorry couldn't resist..I giggled to much and common sense went out the window.

To the OP as stated heavy is relative..have fun with it tho...I love it.