Trying to get this going, words of wisdom, advice, etc?

Options
I'm really trying to get wrapped up in this. The more I stay focused, the better chance I have. I can't believe, after using MFP, of and on for so long, I nver new they had discussion boards and such. So great. Being socially active via media here just might be my new hang out. So much more inspiring.
So, first off I have one major question here. What do you all think of that Juicing cleanse and the 30 or something day juice fast. My BIL does it and my sister just started. She said she has lost 7 lbs in less that two weeks. I'm new to the health game, but isn't that unhealthy? Maybe I just don't have good enough information or maybe I love food way too much to even consider juicing. I mean I like the idea of getting my fruits and veggies in and the vitamins and such that come with it. I've tasted some of the juices, not bad. But, I don't think that it will be my ONLY source of intake. I can't quit food. I can quit unhealthy food, but I just can't quit food all together. Again, maybe I have it wrong. I am hoping that somebody can shed some light on that for me.
I am going to start the Couch to 5K program. My husband and I are going shoe shopping for "good running" shoes, this evening after work. Apparently that's very important, to get the proper shoe and fit. I never knew that you couldn't just pick up a pair of sneakers and run in them. Learning a lot. Has anybody tried the Couch to 5K?
My goal is to get fit and healthy. I could care less about skinny. Skinny is not my goal. Fit, firm and healthy. I want muscly legs and arms. Oh do I have some catching up to do. I figure starting with something like Couch to 5k, to ease me into it, is a btter fit than just going at it with no guide. I'm also the type of person that needs it laid out for me. I need step by step intructions. Ewww, is that bad? Probably huh.
I admire my boss's boss. In her older age (I'm 33, she's twice + my age) she is running marathons and looks AMAZING!! that's who I want to be. There isn't a particular 5k that I'm trying to get to. I just want to start the process so that I can start signing up and raising money for great causes. My brother, a very over weight man, does the MS150 biek ride (from Houston to Austin, TX), EVERY YEAR. He gets laughed at by family and friends because of the way he looks on that bike. BUT, every year, all year he trains and every year he COMPLETES the bike ride! He raises money and does something great. Another person to strive to be like.
So, any pointers, dos, don'ts and so forth.
Thanks, in advance, for any help or positive feedback.
Oh and BTW, I'm 33yo 5'2" and 195 POUNDS. Yup, I have a way to go. Gotta start somewhere.....

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Starting here is great. Don't waste your money on cleanses. They only cleanse your wallet. I have slowly learned to eat more of the good stuff and less of the not so good stuff but I really don't see any real food as being bad or evil needing complete banishment. good luck
  • msthang444
    msthang444 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I think that's the best advice you just gave yourself "Start somewhere". Now, also remember that different goals give different results. Hubby and I trained for a marathon from October - March and I lost MAYBE 5 lbs. I've been doing weights/cardio for 4 weeks and have lost the same amount. So... with that said, remember that the "benefits" and the "experience" are not synonymous. I would not trade my 6 months of training. We ran a half marathon the end of march and it was awesome. But, I decided I needed to do something different because I was not getting the results I wanted. Everybody's body is different. Some people can run and drop. Some people can lift and drop. Some people have to do both and then some (that's me).

Weight does not melt off for all people. Some of us have to work really hard. Just don't get frustrated if/when results don't come immediately or at the same speed as someone else (I have to keep reminding myself that)

NEXT remember progress not perfection. You will not eat perfectly every day. You will not work out everyday. It's not beneficial or realistic to expect that from yourself. Aim for 80%. I am still not where I want to be - emotionally, physically, mentally. But, by doing SOMETHING every day? (and rest can be a something) I am making progress towards where i want to be.

That's my 2 cents ;)
  • robbieann1980
    Options
    :happy: Thank you, both, so much for your words of wisdom! I appreciate them and boy do I need them. It's gonna be quite the journey but well worth it, I'm sure!!
  • Krista916
    Krista916 Posts: 258
    Options
    C25K is awesome! I started it (seriously) in March of 2013. I finished the program and kept running and I will be running my first 10k in abour 3 weeks. Just stick with it and start out slow! I mean run way slower then you think. The speed will come with time. Work on your distance and stamina in the beginning.