Never lifted. Is this a good way to start?

Options
So I am 45 and never lifted in my life. I can't even do a push-up. I am 5'5" and weight 140lbs and want to lose some of my stubborn belly fat and get into better shape. I have been reading a lot about how lifting is the best way to do this vs. just cardio, so I thought I would give it a try. The thing is, I don't have the money to join a gym right now, so I have to make do with what I have. If I fill up some half-gallon milk containers with water and start lifting them, then gradually moved up to gallon jugs, would this be a good way to start lifting? Thanks!

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's a great idea.

Check out body weight progressions as well. Lots of stuff there.

push ups- do them on the wall- or a desk/counter- stairs are great because you can just step down the stairs as your training progresses. :)
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i think your ultimately going to get more out of the body weight stuff.

best way to lose weight is to concenrate on your eating.

get a pull up bar and a chair and put your game face on :)
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    Can you suggest a link where I can find the body weight stuff? I am new to this kind of thing. :)
  • JoRocka
    Options
    nerdfitness.com
    strengthunbound.com
    convict conditioning
    you are your own gym
    fitnessblender
    thedailyhiit.com
    lovingfit.com
    zuzka light on youtube

all great options.
  • kinmad4it
    kinmad4it Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    This guy is amazing and the app will have everything you need

https://www.marklauren.com/
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    askWaldo@mfp.net

lol hopefully the BW guru will see your thread
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    You are all awesome! Thank you so much for these links! I feel so much better knowing that I don't have to have all sorts of equipment and gym memberships to get into shape!
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Can you suggest a link where I can find the body weight stuff? I am new to this kind of thing. :)

just found this one yesterday - some good (free) workout plans - www.neilarey.com
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    still highly recomend a pull up bar, they are not very expensive.

should think its pretty difficult to train your back with out weights or one of these

enter Waldo to prove me wrong lol
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    resistance bands are also very cheap and have their uses
  • CaddieMay
    Options
    I think I have some bands from way back.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    you can simulate pretty much any lift with the bands, might have to get a little creative with how to anchor it on some.

one thing i'd like to add is that your going to want to arrive at a challenging resistance no matter how that resistance is provided.

you want to go until you can't do any more reps, thats a set. and your going to want to fail at 20 (MAX) or less. if you can do more then you will need to find someway to make it harder
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Why are we suggesting bw and resistance training for losing belly fat? Dieting and cardio is going to do that, then move to weights for definition/toning. No offense, but metabolism starts to decline when we hit our 30's and goes down from there. Your heart rate isn't going to be high enough to burn much of your problematic areas with bw and resistance unless you're going at a frantic pace. I'm not saying stop what you're doing, but become much more well-rounded in your approach. You'll see better results.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

best way to lose weight is to concenrate on your eating.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Why are we suggesting bw and resistance training for losing belly fat? Dieting and cardio is going to do that, then move to weights for definition/toning. No offense, but metabolism starts to decline when we hit our 30's and goes down from there. Your heart rate isn't going to be high enough to burn much of your problematic areas with bw and resistance unless you're going at a frantic pace. I'm not saying stop what you're doing, but become much more well-rounded in your approach. You'll see better results.

yes- to an extent- diet for weight loss- but the idea of using body weight to strengthen her body is not an issue. It may not be the single most effective- or easy way to go about it- but that doesn't mean it's not do-able.

As far as the training: go tell waldo that at Strength Unbound- he's on his 5 bulk/cut cycle- looks amazing. (was going to say for a guy his age- but I think he looks damn good for ANY age)

You're body doesn't care what the progressive loading is. all it cares for growth is that it's getting loaded. - a well rounded program will include strength and cardiovascular work.