Weight loss help

Options
Okay I am positive someone has posted this before but different person different situation. I am aware that quick weight loss is not recommended but I need to be down to 163 by mid July and I am 213(was 223). I am joining the military and need to meet weight by the time I ship. Needed some advice while I need to gain muscle I am worried about gaining to much; thus not losing the weight even though I am losing inches. I want to gain muscle just not right now

I am doing T25 right now and I start a 5k program tomorrow. I have been keeping my calories between 1200-1500. I have been using the body by vi shakes (friend gave them to me no plans on buying them once they are out) plus eating 2 snacks and dinner. I don't eat after 8. I know I need to up my water intake but besides that I am kinda at a loss. Am I doing this right or going about this entirely the wrong way. I am good about keeping the weight off once I lose it; I just need to lose it with out killing myself in the process. Any advice would be great, or good fat burning products

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    That would be a 5 lb. per week loss (@12 weeks), that would be very unhealthy and I am not even sure if possible. It would be a deficient of 17,500 per week or 2,500 per day. this means if your daily burn just being you is 2500 you could have nothing but water and most likely die before July. You can cut pretty aggressive and make sure you hit you macros and strength train, that should lower body fat and the military looks at that and not only bmi i thought. That would be the most attainable goal.

Also weight loss is just math calories in vs calories burned. the other stuff is just things people do sometimes. The math is just the math

1lb.=3500 calories
  • ambermwatson2
    Options
    Ya the problem is my recruiter in formed me that taping(what they do if you dont meet weight is not kind to women; and most will fail if they are taped. He is stressing pretty damn hard to lose the weight. In reality I only need to be 171 just wanted to be under to cover my *kitten*

Though in theory if I bump up my exercise to a 1000 cals a day its possible. I burn around 650 now
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Military weight standards aren't kind to anyone, and they are black and white, and right up front. You served at one point, and you chose to let yourself go. As a military person myself, I would encourage you to find a healthy and sustainable lifestyle change so that you aren't somebody's leadership problem once you're in and you inevitably revert to your old habits and weight.

There are no quick fixes, and no magic times you should or should not eat. Slide your enlistment date out to the right and do this the correct way, because if you don't achieve this lofty goal, your recruiter can (and should) move on to more suitable applicants.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Military weight standards aren't kind to anyone, and they are black and white, and right up front. You served at one point, and you chose to let yourself go. As a military person myself, I would encourage you to find a healthy and sustainable lifestyle change so that you aren't somebody's leadership problem once you're in and you inevitably revert to your old habits and weight.

There are no quick fixes, and no magic times you should or should not eat. Slide your enlistment date out to the right and do this the correct way, because if you don't achieve this lofty goal, your recruiter can (and should) move on to more suitable applicants.

QFT
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Didn't see your name at first and thought you were male (because of profile pic, in case you change it it is a man being kissed), I am sorry but as a female your daily calorie burn is between 2000 and probably 2500. Losing 45lbs total would be 3.75lb per week you would need a deficient of 13125 per week for that loss or 1875 per day. the limit is normally 1000 calorie deficient today with the minimum intake at 1200 calories per day. If we said you use 2250 per day (TDEE) you could only eat 375 calories per day, it takes at least 600 to not kill your organs and your BRM (what you would use if in a coma) would be in the 1500's or so. Eating at 1200 calories (minimum ok , but not recommended) you would have a 1050 deficiency per day. so every 3.33 days you would lose a lb or 2.1 lbs per week. With this you could lose 25.2 in 12 weeks. you would eat your exercise calories back and your logging would have to be perfect. you also can count 4-10 lbs of water weight that may come off at first also, plus sometimes the first week or 2 you drop at a higher rate but it always evens out.

If you can push your date back, that is best. This is not attainable and most likely you would be unable to pass other physical tests if you did.

also your body needs calories in the positive. Eating calories -exercise calories would need to equal 1200 minimum
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You honestly do not have to worry about putting on muscle if you are eating at the kind of deficit that would be required to drop that much weight that quickly. Your body is not going to build muscle at large caloric deficits.

Even if you were in an optimum level to build muscle as fast as possible most people can only put on 1/2 a pound of muscle a month so even if you were eating at a caloric surplus in the amount of time you have left you wouldn't be able to put on enough muscle to budge the scale much.
  • ambermwatson2
    Options
    Yes I have served before and had no issue keeping off the weight while I was in but, due to a hip injury and 2 pregnancies I gained weight. So, please don't assume I am just some dirt bag solider who does not eat healthy or stay in shape. Cause I made damn sure I did; I was a damn good medic then and a good Nurse now.

Yes that is my husband, this was the pic that was taken on our wedding day.

I was afraid of that; well, we will see how it goes I guess. Ship out date is September. I will continue doing what I am doing now and see how close I can get and see if I can push my MEPs day closer to shipout.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yes I have served before and had no issue keeping off the weight while I was in but, due to a hip injury and 2 pregnancies I gained weight. So, please don't assume I am just some dirt bag solider who does not eat healthy or stay in shape. Cause I made damn sure I did; I was a damn good medic then and a good Nurse now.

Yes that is my husband, this was the pic that was taken on our wedding day.

I was afraid of that; well, we will see how it goes I guess. Ship out date is September. I will continue doing what I am doing now and see how close I can get and see if I can push my MEPs day closer to shipout.

As a military supervisor of many pregnant females and others who have had surgery, it's very annoying to hear those excuses... because that's all they are. I'm not assuming you're a dirtbag, but hip surgery doesn't cause weight gain, eating in excess of your daily maintenance calories does. And military women (and civilians too) bounce back from pregnancies as well, assuming they can exercise self control. I applaud your effort and drive, but I encourage you to do it in a safe and sustainable manner for your sake and the military's. Good luck.
  • ambermwatson2
    Options
    As a military supervisor of many pregnant females and others who have had surgery, it's very annoying to hear those excuses... because that's all they are. I'm not assuming you're a dirtbag, but hip surgery doesn't cause weight gain, eating in excess of your daily maintenance calories does. And military women (and civilians too) bounce back from pregnancies as well, assuming they can exercise self control. I applaud your effort and drive, but I encourage you to do it in a safe and sustainable manner for your sake and the military's. Good luck.

Yes, you are correct but I did not say those as an excuse sorry if you took it that way. They were more events that happened and helped contribute I guess(cant really explain it better). If I used any excuse it would honestly be negligence and ignorance. You are correct though to many people use pregnancy as an excuse to eat what they want and thus gain weight. I did not change my eating habits after my chapter, just ate how I did when I was still able to run. Honestly didn't think about needing to change it till after I was pregnant which I was told not to do; that weight gain was normal and you can not restrict calories while pregnant. Being pregnant with a hip fracture my Dr had put me on bed rest to light activity non weight baring on that leg.

One thing I have noticed about the medical field is they don't take into account your bodies need just whats standard. When I was in I needed around 2400 cals to maintain weight and if you follow medical literature a pregnant female needs 2200 to 2300. What I found out with my second child I only need 1800 cals to maintain my weight. Every body is different and I honestly didn't learn anything about nutrition till nursing school. I eat healthy enough but I never really need to pay attention to calorie intake, I had more issues keeping weight on then putting it on.

Though on a medical stand point just to point out pregnancy does make a female gain weight. It is part of the increase of certain hormones. They increase fat storage amount and where they are stored(hips, gluts and breast) This is why it is so, important to watch you calories intake and that every body is different and not to follow national averages.

I planned on doing this healthy just you hear about the Intermediate fasting and different ways of eating that are supposed to lose all this weight. Some with scientific research to back them up, just seeing if there was a different way of doing it than how I was. I had my daughter end of march and I have already last close to 10lbs. Think I will just keep up what I am doing and see how it goes.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    Find out if you can push your MEP's off a bit longer. Don't try to lose the weight too quickly. Regardless of how it feels, the weight didn't come on quickly either. You're doing yourself, your family and the military a disservice to try and take it off too quickly because you put yourself and mainly your health in jeopardy. You also know that there is no magic pill or any truly good "fat burning" pills out there. If there were, then all of us overweight people would be magically slender and in healthy BMI range and MFP wouldn't be needed.

And yes, increase the water. Any water retention (expect possibly due to the exercise after time off for muscle repair) will be flushed by keeping well hydrated. That at least will keep a lot of the "bloat" away (or does for me). Make water your new drink of choice.

I don't know what your macros are, or if this will help because of the shakes being used. I had to have gallbladder removal surgery last month (it's officially been a month since the surgery). I dropped a good 10 pounds because of the low fat diet I had to follow (along with no soda even diet so I was drinking mainly water). I kept to under 45 fat grams daily and usually it was well under. I am sad to admit that I did gain back 3 of those pounds when I started back to my old habits but that's changing too with my consistent logging and hitting my numbers (so around the calories for the day, around fat, carbs, sugars and proteins also). I know that MFP sets those low so I use them as a guideline, trying to go higher in protein and low in processed sugars when possible. Carbs and fats tend to be fairly easy for me to stay within. And honestly, I'm still getting back into my groove so my currently open diary looks atrocious for food choices. This is a suggestion to help lose some of the weight a little more quickly but not the extreme you need. It might bump you from a 2 lb per week loss to a 2.25 lb per week loss.

Good luck and keep moving more as well as eating at a deficit (lose what weight you can). Fingers are crossed that your MEP's get pushed back a bit.