GOOD AND BAD CARBS

Options
I ALWAYS GET CONFUSED ABOUT THE GOOD AND BAD CARBS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT ARE THE GOOD CARBS AND WHAT ARE THE BAD CARBS? IF POSSIBLE SEND A LIST. THANKS.

JOY

Replies

• butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS GET CONFUSED ABOUT THE GOOD AND BAD CARBS. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT ARE THE GOOD CARBS AND WHAT ARE THE BAD CARBS? IF POSSIBLE SEND A LIST. THANKS.

JOY
  • Starr
    Starr Posts: 45
    Options
    This might not be what you want, but white carbs (white rice, potatoes) suppsedly are not as good for you as whole grain and rich color (brown rice, yams). I have no idea why, but I switched. Of course, I've been stuck on this plateau for I don't know how long ...
  • wendyk523
    Options
    Anything white is processed. Many things have carbs - even veggies -- you are looking for foods as close to the way nature intended. So whole grains, oats, oatmeal (not instant) are good choices. Also lower sugar content is better too -- keeps you from craving more sweets. Beans are great carbs too.

Hope it helps. I have sone lots of looking and learning :)
  • sparrow13
    Options
    I guess there was a study done a while ago on carbs:

Bad carbs go into your bloodstream as sugar very quickly, they are easily broken down into glucose. When you eat bad carbs your blood sugar spikes and you feel good and energetic, and then it drops and you feel bad, and you body may react by craving more bad carbs in order to keep you sugar up. This makes you fat, because all that easy excess sugar that doesn't get used up can also be quickly converted to fat. Then you're out of that easy eergy, and your body slows it's metabolism down so it can hold on to all the nice fat it just made, and getting that fat broken down takes more coaxing. Blood sugar spikes like this can lead to insulin malfunction- it just gets over used and activated. here are some of the bad carbs:

White bread (made from hulled processed wheat- no tough fibrous hull to slow digestion)
    white potatoes
    white sugar
    white rice (which is also hulled, like wheat)
    brown sugar (which is just sugar mixed with molasses)
    well, cane sugar in general
    corn syrup (also the high fructose kind)
    pastries (white flour again)
    anything mixed with white sugar or corn syrup like most commercial candies, cakes, pastries, cookies, etc...

Good carbs: When you eat good carbs there are a few reasons why the sugar enters your bloodstream slower: Its in a different form, I won't get into it but some forms of sugar are slower to break down. Or it's wrapped in a tough firbrous hull, so it takes a longer time and more effort from your body to even get it's enzymes at the sugar part to break it down. But some reasons aren't totally known. I am a biology student, and I recently got a book on honey from the 1920's and the logic behind why honey is a slower sugar was a little whacked- so I'll just say the most recent study I read said something to the effect of : for some unknown reasons subjects who ate sweet potatoes didn't have a sugar spike compared which subjects who ate white potatoes. This goes the same for honey/agave nectar/brown rice syrup over white sugar. The idea is you're less likely to add it on as fat, or have cravings later because as you body slowly digests these slow sugars, it has a more constant stream of less sugar and feels more steady. Trust me, when you eat only slow carbs your brain works better...
    Good carbs:

Whole wheat
    brown rice
    quinoa
    barley
    buckwheat
    oatmeal
    sweet potatoes
    yams
    honey
    agave nectar
    brown rice syrup
    and a good rule of thumb is- the least amount of processing the better...

I was starting to have sugar troubles a couple of years ago and learned all this from my naturopath. She also said that coffee causes your blood sugar to spike- so I cut way back on that and that's helped. I don't even do diet sodas anymore, they can also cause "trick" cravings.EAting as whole and as close to nature as possible I've found keeps me full and clear headed. I lost 40lbs before I just started this site, I'm on the last 20, I've hit a rut, summer laziness, etc... Hope that helps!
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are natural, bad carbs are processed. Simple as that! I wouldn't worry about carbs...that's so Atkins..HA. I mean ideally, you could eat 5 Snicker's bars each day and be within your calories and still lose weight. Honestly, stick with whole foods as much as you can, and you'll lose the weight. I guess I've never given much thought to carbs...now you have me wondering. Maybe I should. Could someone explain it to me why I should care?
  • butterjoy
    butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP. THE LIST HELPS TOO! :flowerforyou:

JOY
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Good carbs are natural, bad carbs are processed. Simple as that! I wouldn't worry about carbs...that's so Atkins..HA. I mean ideally, you could eat 5 Snicker's bars each day and be within your calories and still lose weight. Honestly, stick with whole foods as much as you can, and you'll lose the weight. I guess I've never given much thought to carbs...now you have me wondering. Maybe I should. Could someone explain it to me why I should care?

This isn't really true. It's a little bit of an oversimplification.

A snickers bar for example, releases massive amounts of the simple sugar sucrose into the body with little fiber to slow the digestive process, this sends the excess sugar into the blood stream because there is too much to process, the overdose of sugar does 2 things, 1st it raises your LDL and blood glucose levels giving you that "sugar high" followed by a crash, and 2nd it also deposits some of that extra sugar in the form of adipose fat (insulin is released, which grabs free glucose and stores it as fat in cells). One side note, Fruit sugar is NOT considered a simple carb for our purposes, it doesn't spike the blood sugar levels.

Even though you stay within your daily calories, eating a ton of sucrose type sugars (simple sugar) will overload the metabolism and trigger fat storage. It's important to note that when food becomes body fat, it is now more difficult to convert back to fuel, which means the body isn't going to use it as efficiently.

Now, about simple vs complex carbs. All carbs are a form of sugar (essentially). What we really want is that sugar to be difficult for the body to break down, as this will stream constant energy to the body over a period of hours, complex carbs go through a long period to go from their starch and fiber content to sugar as there are many complex molecule chains to break down in the stomach and instestines. Simple sugars break down fast, releasing a firestorm of energy into the body, good if your doing a 1000 meter run, but not if you are walking around the house or driving a car.
    You can Identify what type of carb you are eating by checking the nutritional info. things with whole grains, lots of fiber and no processed flours are usually complex carbohydrates. Any sugar or carb that has "processed" or "refined" in it's name is usually simple, also the word "white" next to sugar or any type of cereal product is usually a dead give away.

I know this is long, but I hope it helps.
    The idea is to eat enough food at any one time to fuel your body and keep your metabolism thinking everything is A-OK, but not too much to cause insulin release, or to eat too little and cause the metabolism to panic and start slowing down the metabolism. Either of these last 2 scenarios trigger fat storage. That's why me and many others harp on eating smaller meals (and snacks) throughout the day, spreading out your energy intake. Because gorging on any one meal or any 1 type of food will usually trigger fat storage.
  • johmapri
    johmapri Posts: 24
    Options
    Banks1850, I was wondering how you feel about simple baked potatoes (no toppings)... I have tried doing a little research on this, but I can not get a clear answer on whether it's good or bad for you.

Thanks.
  • johmapri
    Options

This isn't really true. It's a little bit of an oversimplification.

A snickers bar for example, releases massive amounts of the simple sugar sucrose into the body with little fiber to slow the digestive process, this sends the excess sugar into the blood stream because there is too much to process, the overdose of sugar does 2 things, 1st it raises your LDL and blood glucose levels giving you that "sugar high" followed by a crash, and 2nd it also deposits some of that extra sugar in the form of adipose fat (insulin is released, which grabs free glucose and stores it as fat in cells). One side note, Fruit sugar is NOT considered a simple carb for our purposes, it doesn't spike the blood sugar levels.

Even though you stay within your daily calories, eating a ton of sucrose type sugars (simple sugar) will overload the metabolism and trigger fat storage. It's important to note that when food becomes body fat, it is now more difficult to convert back to fuel, which means the body isn't going to use it as efficiently.

Now, about simple vs complex carbs. All carbs are a form of sugar (essentially). What we really want is that sugar to be difficult for the body to break down, as this will stream constant energy to the body over a period of hours, complex carbs go through a long period to go from their starch and fiber content to sugar as there are many complex molecule chains to break down in the stomach and instestines. Simple sugars break down fast, releasing a firestorm of energy into the body, good if your doing a 1000 meter run, but not if you are walking around the house or driving a car.
    You can Identify what type of carb you are eating by checking the nutritional info. things with whole grains, lots of fiber and no processed flours are usually complex carbohydrates. Any sugar or carb that has "processed" or "refined" in it's name is usually simple, also the word "white" next to sugar or any type of cereal product is usually a dead give away.

I know this is long, but I hope it helps.
    The idea is to eat enough food at any one time to fuel your body and keep your metabolism thinking everything is A-OK, but not too much to cause insulin release, or to eat too little and cause the metabolism to panic and start slowing down the metabolism. Either of these last 2 scenarios trigger fat storage. That's why me and many others harp on eating smaller meals (and snacks) throughout the day, spreading out your energy intake. Because gorging on any one meal or any 1 type of food will usually trigger fat storage.

Banks1850, I was wondering how you feel about simple baked potatoes (no toppings)... I have tried doing a little research on this, but I can not get a clear answer on whether it's good or bad for you.

Thanks
  • LMKupizza
    Options
    Like people said, good carbs are natural, and bad carbs are like the carbs you would get in soda, and candy bars, and things like that. I always get a little frustrated when people say that potatoes and rice are bad carbs. They have a little bit more than your whole grains, but they are still natural are they not. Sweet potatoes are better for you than white potatoes, but both still natural. Also, don't let anyone tell you FRUIT has too many carbs in it, along with your juices. 100% juice that is. When you eat fruits, the carbs in fruit help to speed up your metabolism. YOU NEED CARBS for energy, so I wouldn't STRESS them too much. But don't go crazy.... one of the reasons people don't lose weight like they should is because they do not get enough protein in balance with the carbs and calories they take in. Especially for women. So get your servings of carbs a day, just not through cokes, or candies. Have a great day!!!!
  • banks1850
    Options

Thanks

Ahh, they aren't horrible. they are high in potassium which is good. A medium sized baked potato has about 15 G of carbs but also has around 2 grams of fiber so it's decent. It's what you put ON a baked potato that will kill your intake. I.E. the high fat stuff like sour cream, butter...etc. They have starch, which is a sugar, but not an easily digestible sugar, so not all that horrible.
  • johmapri
    Options

Thanks

Ahh, they aren't horrible. they are high in potassium which is good. A medium sized baked potato has about 15 G of carbs but also has around 2 grams of fiber so it's decent. It's what you put ON a baked potato that will kill your intake. I.E. the high fat stuff like sour cream, butter...etc. They have starch, which is a sugar, but not an easily digestible sugar, so not all that horrible.

Thank you!
  • banks1850
    Options

Thank you!

Any time my dear. Ooh, winter haven. Old Red Sox stomping ground.
  • johmapri
    Options

Thank you!

Tampa Bay Rays all the way! At least my husband would be happy I said that ;0)
  • banks1850
    Options

Thank you!

Tampa Bay Rays all the way! At least my husband would be happy I said that ;0)

You made me laugh, thanks! :wink:
  • ecrichar
    ecrichar Posts: 14
    Options
    Here is the list I was given by my friend that lost the weight.

Meat
    Bacon
    Beef
    Chicken
    Duck
    Goose
    Ham

Fish
    Cod
    Crab
    Eel
    Flounder