To Kinect or not Kinect...that is the question.

Options
Hi all,

For those of you who have Kinect I have a question or two. I was thinking of buying Kinect, but I get bored easily. I have Wii Fit and enjoy the mini games but not the yoga workouts. I'm interested in Dance Central and Your Shape and was wondering if everyone was liking these? Do you think Kinect is worth it? Will it be a good workout and will it keep me interested? All responses appreciated...thanks!

Replies

• pshontz
    pshontz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    We have enjoyed EA Sports Active for the Kinect and for the Wii. But we found Your Fitness Evolved (or whatever it's called) for the Kinect really boring. I guess it seems too much like "work" to be fun for us. You can see yourself moving, which is cool. But EA Sports has more bright colors and "game-y" elements like soccer or dodgeball or mountain biking so it seems a bit more fun. I am not that impressed with the Kinect yet, but my husband likes it. It times out a lot -- the camera loses track of who you are and you have to wait for it to recognize you again, so it disrupts the workout several times each session. But it's kind of cool. We have not tried Dance Central for Kinect.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    A superb work out!!! ! I was on the verge of buying a wii fit until I tried the Xbox. As you don't have to hold controllers or anything you get a full workout.

I train quite a bit and the workout you get with the Kinect is comparable to a hard gym session.

A definite recommendation from me.

Happy New Year.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    I get a great workout with the kinect :) I love Dance Central, EA Sports & Zumba so far

The only time it times out is when you move out of the camera's range. It gives you a good amount of warning on the screen before it pauses the game though.
  • TanMac
    TanMac Posts: 77
    Options
    I had the Wii Fit and didn't like it. I found it didn't get my HR up. I then tried EA Active and it was better but again my HR didn't get up enough. I just bought my kids the Kinect and I have played the Kinect Adventures game. I did find my HR got up quite high and I was breakin a bit of a sweat! I prefer the Kinect over the Wii Fit etc. I am soooo buying the Dance Central for Kinect!!
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hah... the best workout I've ever gotten since I was playing football in high school is the Kinect Sports Boxing!

A few times per week I'll come home from work, move the coffee table, attach 5lb weights to both hands, turn up the skill level to "Professional" and duke it out for about an hour on that game. I am ordering an HRM today because I just have no idea how many calories I'm burning. I will say that within a couple minutes, my heart rate is definitely at the cardio level and it stays there throughout the workout without a doubt.

I use the "Professional" skill level because that way the computer beats me at about a 2:1 ratio. It's challenging and gets my adrenaline pumping really hard and makes me work a lot harder. It is a total blast and if I were to estimate right now, I bet I'm burning 400+ calories per hour with it.... and that hour goes by REALLY fast.

There is a video on YouTube where a guy used an Exerspy to determine how many calories he was burning playing Kinect Sports. He boxed and did the track and field stuff for 20 minutes. In that 20 minutes, he burned 120 calories.

I have also played Your Shape Fitness a couple times. I will say the first time I played this game... well my legs are still a little sore right now and that was back on Monday. No, the game isn't necessarily fun but it's basically the equivilant of doing a work-out DVD except you will burn way more calories because it will catch you if you're half-assing it.

Hope this helps!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I will let you know, my son loves it, but he's 8 lol...I start tomorrow
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I'm not a gamer in any way, shape or form. We got the Kinect for our son for Christmas, and it's a blast! This is the third 360 we've had in the house (fifth Xbox — Microsoft stuff seems to crap out often, LOL, but that's a whole different subject), and it's the first time I've touched one. I work out regularly, and it didn't take me long to work up a sweat playing the different games on Kinect Sports and Kinect Adventures. We bought Dance Central a couple of days ago and plan to try that out tonight. I am not very coordinated at all, so this ought to be interesting... :tongue:
  • takethepieces
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies - I'm wondering whether to get the EA Sports instead of Your Shape now...
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have dance central and it's great!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I have dance central and it's great!!
    I played it a little last night, and it was fun, but nobody else wanted to do it with me. They wanted to play the Sports games instead. Party poopers.