Mirena Users PMS Question

Options
I recently had a Mirena placed and it's been going well. The reason for the placement is I've always had very heavy periods and serious cramping and back pain (from knees to mid back, just agony). The bleeding only got worse after I had my son, placing me in abnormal territory (menorrhagia, causing anemia). My doctor recommended the Mirena route because there was a good chance I would go to very light to no periods in a few months.

I've always found my periods to be a huge deterrent to working out. I had a hard enough time just going to work. So my question is for current Mirena users, what did its placement do for your other symptoms? Did cramping, back pain, and exhaustion also subside? What about any mental/emotional symptoms?

Replies

• RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I like mine, though I admit that it does not change my mental/emotional symptoms. It could just be my age (almost 40) but I swear I'm more hormonal now. I get some PMS issues, though I don't have much bleeding.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    My raging hormones chilled a bit because the hormone levels were constant.. while taking the pill, the levels are up and down.

Cramping wasn't too bad, still there. Boob pain, exhaustion still there as usual.

My periods got worse. Heavy, 2+ weeks long. I became anemic. It was hell. That's my only complaint though, I loved everything else about the Mirena. Insertion hurt, and I cramped for a day afterwards, but that was it. I was able to lose weight. If it weren't for the periods, I would still have it in.

We are 100% finished having children, so I went for an ablation, and tubal (but the tubal wasn't done, there were some issues.. it will be repeated soon) .. now I have spotting for maybe 4 days each month. AND I don't have any added hormones in my body for the first time in 10+ years (aside from pregnancies)
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I never had bad PMS but I could have some serious painful cramping.

Since getting Mirena I still spot/bleed occasionally, but no cramping/pain.

I doubt I could get away with blaming any of my mood swings on it. :wink: I'm just a crazy.
  • Phisty86
    Phisty86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My periods and all the symptoms that come with it, completely disappeared within a few months of having my Mirena put in. I get some random cramping from time to time but thats about it. Its been over 6 years since I've had a period :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I had gotten my Mirena back in September. Since then I've had some spotting, but my monthly has pretty much stopped. I can tell when I would have normally had it with some PMS symptoms and some bloating, but no where near as bad as before the Mirena.
  • KgirlM
    KgirlM Posts: 1
    Options
    hi there - I've had mirena about a year - very similar bleeding issues (had tried lysteda, a blood clotting prescription pill which helped with the bleeding a lot too) With Mirena my periods got MUCH lighter - but it didn't really change the moodiness and bloating - except for being less stressed that I'd have an embarassing accident and/or exhaustion due to so much bleeding.
    For regular PMS, I have found that the Pamprin or Premsyn work wonders, but I can only take them at night because they make me drowsy. For daytime I use diurex Ultra. The ingredient in these products to look for is PAMABROM and NOT CAFFEINE!
    I wish I had a magic answer for you . . . I hope this helps a little bit . . .
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena placed a little over a year ago. I still had periods for the first 6 months, but now, if I have any bleeding, it is usually just a day of light spotting, which is great compared to what my body used to do - usually 6-7 days of heavy bleeding each month. I still can tell where I am in my cycle, though. I still get killer sugar cravings about a week before my period would have started, and I get a little more emotional every month around the same time. So I guess bottom line is, no more cramping, no more bleeding, no more anemic exhaustion, but emotionally, it's about the same. For me, a big improvement over before. (not to mention the obvious - I'm 44 with 5 boys, I think we're done having our kiddos! it's nice to not worry about that anymore! :wink: )
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I have had mine for 4.5 years. My symptoms have varied from absolutely nothing to very minor mood swings/backache. I haven't had a period for about 4 years but the relief from heavy bleeding and crippling cramps was with the first 2 months.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    My first Mirena was inserted for exactly the same reason's yours was...

The pain etc totally subsided, the moods..well about every 3 months I would have what I called PMS...tender breast, crying spells etc. but they weren't bad...

I loved it enough I got a 2nd one but that being said I wouldn't wait 5 years for the replacement ever again..my husband wont let me...

The last 9 months most of my symptoms slow came back as the hormones started to wear out...I would go at year 4 given a choice.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    You guys suck... LOL (just kidding)
    I really do wish mine worked.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I loved it enough I got a 2nd one but that being said I wouldn't wait 5 years for the replacement ever again..my husband wont let me...

The last 9 months most of my symptoms slow came back as the hormones started to wear out...I would go at year 4 given a choice.
    Good to know!

I looove my Mirena. I still get most of the emotional symptoms, but it cut my physical symptoms by probably 90%. I still have a period, but they're very light and last 2-3 days (instead of 7-10). Every pill I've' ever taken has made me super sick (nauseated, TOM headaches every month, spotting), and the Mirena doesn't cause any of that.
  • jajsmom
    jajsmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for just about 2 yrs now. Every so often I do feel a little bloated. I had no cycle until recently when I started T25 and have light spotted for about 6 days. Hoping it goes away again. Otherwise I love it.
  • beachylove
    beachylove Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have had Mirena for about 4 years now, every few months I get a little bloated but overall my emotional and physical symptoms are gone. I don't get super moody like I used to and I don't have any of the debilitating cramps I used to suffer through. its the best thing I have found and wish I would have moved over to it sooner.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    No periods, no cramps, no PMS
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    I got my first one for similar reasons, however, I also had endometriosis. I had surgery for the endo and the same time as my first placement. The first few years were great, but slowly my horrible pain and period symptoms started coming back. I didn't notice any hormone wearing off towards the end of my first 5 years though and I've had my 2nd one about 6 months. The bleeding is very light but I still get emotional, bloat a little and the pain, oh the pain, is back in full force. I don't think it is due to the Mirena though, endometriosis grows back and I will have to go back in for exploratory surgery (there's no testing for it until they are in there). Other than that, great way to manage birth control without a ton of hormones in your body.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've had a Mirena for almost 7 yrs and love it. My period, if you want to call it that, is light spotting for a day or two. No cramping, no back pain, no PMS. I do get some fluid retention but much less than before having the Mirena.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I've had a Mirena for almost 7 yrs and love it. My period, if you want to call it that, is light spotting for a day or two. No cramping, no back pain, no PMS. I do get some fluid retention but much less than before having the Mirena.
    did you get it changed after 5 years?
  • Paant
    Paant Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on my second round with Mirena (needs to be replaced after so many years) and like others who have replied, I love it! Very rarely do I actually bleed and when I do, it's very light. The only hard part is not knowing when pms will occur because I still go through all the other symptoms - crying, irritability, bloating, etc. Then I look at the calendar and it dawns on me it's that time of month again! Love it though - so liberating not having to worry!