Meditation or any Relaxation techniques

Options
***I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask this question but I am asking anyways to see if I can get help***

Anyone practicing meditation or relaxation techniques. Of late I am going through some anxiety, panic attacks and stress. Want to make sure I relax, stress is causing me too much trouble. TMJ, hair loss and extreme fatigue. I am getting my thyroid test done tomorrow but I want to practice relaxation. I have come to realize how much I was missing out and even damaged my body by stress and mishandling emotional situations. I need to really calm down, its high time now and I am looking for ways to relax. I want to be able to cope up with stress and avoid anxiety but just work at the cause than getting tensed and anxious about things. Any help much appreciated.

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I have found that going for a long brisk walk and prayer have worked for me. Hope this helps.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    ***I am not sure if this is the appropriate forum to ask this question but I am asking anyways to see if I can get help***

Anyone practicing meditation or relaxation techniques. Of late I am going through some anxiety, panic attacks and stress. Want to make sure I relax, stress is causing me too much trouble. TMJ, hair loss and extreme fatigue. I am getting my thyroid test done tomorrow but I want to practice relaxation. I have come to realize how much I was missing out and even damaged my body by stress and mishandling emotional situations. I need to really calm down, its high time now and I am looking for ways to relax. I want to be able to cope up with stress and avoid anxiety but just work at the cause than getting tensed and anxious about things. Any help much appreciated.

Walking, yoga, and exercise in general are great stress relievers.
    Avoid caffeine!!!
    Talk to your Doctor
    Prayer
    Breathing techniques (youtube is a great free resource for breathing, guided meditations and yoga)
    Distraction - a good book always takes me away. Or playing Candy Crush lol.

Also there is a website called Healing Well that has a forum for panic and anxiety. They're very helpful there. You might want to check that out too.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have done meditation and hatra yoga before and it had help me to deal with stress. I also had taken reiki every 6 months. I suggest to search the internet for 100 % natural supplements for anxiety and panic.
  • SunshineNo1
    SunshineNo1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, and exercise in general are great stress relievers.
    Avoid caffeine!!!
    Talk to your Doctor
    Prayer
    Breathing techniques (youtube is a great free resource for breathing, guided meditations and yoga)
    Distraction - a good book always takes me away. Or playing Candy Crush lol.

Also there is a website called Healing Well that has a forum for panic and anxiety. They're very helpful there. You might want to check that out too.

Thank you. Will check that website.
  • SunshineNo1
    SunshineNo1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have done meditation and hatra yoga before and it had help me to deal with stress. I also had taken reiki every 6 months. I suggest to search the internet for 100 % natural supplements for anxiety and panic.

Thank you. Didn't know that there are supplements for anxiety. I thought anxiety is a mental thing.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Anyone practicing meditation or relaxation techniques..

If you want to try meditation then I'd recommend searching for guided meditation podcasts, that will talk you through posture and techniques. Different people respond better to visualisations or an anchor point like a candle flame, or using the zen approach of a white wall.

Similarly some form of exercise can help a lot, as mentioned upthread yoga can be very useful, as moving between the asanas provides a focus and helps in clearing the mind, by concentrating on the movement and precision of posture.
  • LoveHummingbirds
    Options
    Yoga and meditation has helped me tremendously with my anxiety. Start with a "gentle" or hatha style of yoga. I go to a yoga studio, but if you can't, you can find free yoga and mediations online. A good one is: http://www.doyogawithme.com

Namaste
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk is something that has helped me curb anxiety in the past.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I thought anxiety is a mental thing.

The physical and mental are all related and intertwined.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    mindfulness meditation, cue-controlled relaxation, progressive muscle relaxation, cognitive behavioral therapy, etc. are all options. If you tend to suffer from anxiety and it is causing you a serious amount of stress I highly recommend seeing a professional - even if it's just for a few sessions to help you learn techniques to carry with you.

For learning by yourself, the Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Bourne and Anxiety, Phobias, and Panic by Peurifoy are both books that come highly recommended by many.