I, too, need help/rec with weight loss.

Options
6 weeks of P90x/Insanity hybrid. 51 yo male, 6'3", 195 lbs. LOST 3 lbs in 6 weeks. BMR 1880. Average daily calorie burn is 515 calories exercising 6days/wk (using HRM and subtracting BMR calories). Average daily caloric intake is 2700 calories. Net calories @ 2200. Eating 5x/day at 300-400 cal/meal. Carb/Protein/Fat ratio is 40/30/30. No simple sugars. Rare alcohol. Daily whey/banana/skim milk for one meal.

What am I missing? Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food with a digital food scale? If not, I recommend you purchase one. I was super amazed at how off my portions were using measuring cups/eyeballing/guessing. If you're not using a food scale, chances are you're eating more than you think.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    You're losing at a healthy pace for someone who isn't overweight. Overweight/obese people can lose 1-2 pounds a week easily, but at your BMI, 0.5 lb a week is perfectly fine and expected. You could lose faster netting 2000 calories rather than 2200, but there's really no reason to. You are doing just fine.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to lose weight? You should focus more on losing body fat 'cause it sounds like you're at a healthy weight. Increase your strength training and decrease your cardio and you'll most likely see a change in your body but you should gain muscle.
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    im on week four of p90x and haven't lost anything! Not even inches. Im a clean eater and log my food intake so I don't know what the deal is. I have read that those who are on insanity or p90x will loose most of their weight/inches in the last phase. It seems like your doing everything right though, keep it up..
  • Grady51
    Options
    Wt loss goal is only 10 lbs. While I realize it may not be as lofty a goal as for others, it's my demon.LOL. Most of the 'bad' pounds are around the abdomen. To get the the abs definition it can only come from losing this weight - and I recognize muscle mass will suffer elsewhere but I don't see a practical alternative. At 1000 crunches/week for 6 weeks now definition only comes from weight loss. I don't see how more strength training corrects that. Although increased muscle does increase metabolism - so, indirectly. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • frhlyn
    frhlyn Posts: 4
    Options
    Do you really want to lose weight? :)